Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 24, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #1,081 of 2,515
Yes, makes me feel good about the purchase knowing that there's technical inside information available. I almost wrote some questions yesterday, but found out the answers myself :D The UI is a bit tricky sometimes, but that's the usual thing with new electronics. The little user guide is also worth a read, as well as the official product pages and Andykong's long write-ups about the tubes and technical architecture on pages 6 and 8 of this thread.

Been playing various genres and generally I seem to prefer the triode mode, so smooth :k701smile: (even for electronic music, example Westbam - Hard times). Have to see if I end up switching it around or sticking with one option.

The leather case feels pretty good in hand so that's certainly a nice one to have. My Ibasso DX160 has actually a pretty good silicon case so it's fun to have separate styles for these, creating a bit of mood and such :thinking:
Yeah having good cases is real nice. I would really like it if dap makers switched from silicone cases to clear plastic as silicone yellows over time

Sep 24, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #1,084 of 2,515
Am i right in thinking that i would still be able to use UAPP on this device but it would be via hibylink? Or is that not possible?
No, think of HiBy Link as a Bluetooth remote control app for N3 Pro. It means the DAP can stay in your pocket, on your desk, across the room etc. and you control it via the HiBy Link app on your phone, giving you a somewhat richer user interface than the native OS plus the advantage of bigger / more responsive touchscreen keyboard and so on. It's not perfect, by any means - adding files to a playlist seems to be hit & miss, for example, but it adds value, for me at least, and I use it quite often.
I'm pretty sure you can't then overlay UAPP with HiBy Link acting as middleware to communicate with N3 Pro, if that is what you are asking.
UAPP can't be installed on N3 Pro.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #1,086 of 2,515
Yes i think that pretty much answers that...thankyou. So i presume I could use Amazon HD on my phone and play via the N3 Pro

Yes, you can "stream" your mobile phone content, be it streaming app or other music players app, to N3Pro through bluetooth. With that N3Pro will function as a portable wireless DAC/Amp. On the other hand, HiByLink and wireless DAC is mutually exclusive, once you connect your iphone with N3Pro in HiByLink, it can only serve as a remote control to playback the music on N3Pro. If you want to stream your music content from mobile phone to N3Pro, then you need to connect them in standard BT connection (LDAC or UAT for Android devices, AAC for iOS devices) instead of HiByLink

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 24, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #1,087 of 2,515
Got it. Not gorilla glass. Is glass strength at all comparable to gorilla?

Sorry, I have no idea how to access the strength of Gorilla or non-Gorilla glass, and with the wide range of Gorilla glass options, I suppose it is fairly easy to claim we are equivalent to one of the earlier Gorilla Glass standard?

PS. Yes, I am cheating. :sweat_smile:

1600946283896.png

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #1,088 of 2,515
Can we get Hiby MSEB implemented in an update? Thanks

That's HiBy proprietary technologies, we can't do that unless we replace the Cayin music app with HiBy Music App in N3Pro, and that will introduce branding and profit sharing issue?

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #1,089 of 2,515
Sorry, I have no idea how to access the strength of Gorilla or non-Gorilla glass, and with the wide range of Gorilla glass options, I suppose it is fairly easy to claim we are equivalent to one of the earlier Gorilla Glass standard?

PS. Yes, I am cheating. :sweat_smile:

1600946283896.png
So i assume its just regular tempered glass?

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #1,090 of 2,515
This looks like a software problem, so it shouldn't be specific to your unit. While we can't replicate the symptoms, we can guess the potential problems based on your description and is going to optimise the folder view down the road, hopefully we can improve the situation in subsequent firmware update.
Ok, I look forward to it. Thanks Andy

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,092 of 2,515
One more quick question.....Is the N3 pro as powerful as the DX160?
4.4 output vs 4.4 output yes. But you'll want to stick with the 3.5mm output on the N3 Pro for better sound quality. And in that case the DX160 will be over twice as powerful.

Sep 24, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #1,093 of 2,515
My BX4 on stock op amp...
A18t on O-module
using Violin solo with orchestra background for testing...
Volume matched

BX4 = 12year scotch (with blinking and interference)
N3Pro = 15year (in ultraline mode)
=18year (in Triode mode)
N3Pro ULmode LO BX4 = still a 15Yr but with noise

DX200+Amp9 = 21year scotch but with a layer of veil
N8 = 25year scotch, expansive and not as intimate as the other 3

Was looking about WA8 as well.
But think a 1.1kg brick with only 4hr battery life would make it more for desktop use than portable. And if we want to move to desktop there are tonnes of choice in the market.

Anyway, I m not using headphone much so don't really need such a powerful amp...
My BX4 on stock op amp...
A18t on O-module
using Violin solo with orchestra background for testing...
Volume matched

BX4 = 12year scotch (with blinking and interference)
N3Pro = 15year (in ultraline mode)
=18year (in Triode mode)
N3Pro ULmode LO BX4 = still a 15Yr but with noise
[]

DX200+Amp9 = 21year scotch but with a layer of veil
N8 = 25year scotch, expansive and not as intimate as the other 3

So different modes using different tubes..
Not really one better than the others.
]

IMG_20200909_114226.jpg

]

Ooh, yeah. Forgot the 3.5mm LO actually doesn't go through the tube....

Finally have some time to "double-amp" N3Pro+BX4.
N3Pro LO > BX4: tube sound leaner, but sound stage wider and cleaner. Turn up volume past 2pm and the sound can be distorted.
N3Pro PO > BX4: tube sound lusher, sound stage narrower but background darker. N3Pro volume at 100, BX4 past 2pm or even 3pm, still no distortion.

Was looking about WA8 as well.
But think a 1.1kg brick with only 4hr battery life would make it more for desktop use than portable. And if we want to move to desktop there are tonnes of choice in the market.

Anyway, I m not using headphone much so don't really need such a powerful amp...

Never say never. Just found a WA8 somewhere. One week later I will be tying myself to a desk and HD800s.

We are always short of one piece of gear...🤦

Sep 24, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,094 of 2,515
Did your N3pro lost 10% battery overnight ? Or just one-off? When did you start using the N3Pro?

The battery reading is an estimation of battery capacity based on historical data. It can be a wrong reading before you finish your first charging cycle. If your N3Pro really lost 10% every night, that means some of the power capacitor is not working correctly and lost it charge gradually at idle, this is a hardware problem that need immediate attention.

It lost 8% in 7 hours but it was on, is this normal?

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #1,095 of 2,515
]

IMG_20200909_114226.jpg

]

Finally have some time to "double-amp" N3Pro+BX4.
N3Pro LO > BX4: tube sound leaner, but sound stage wider and cleaner. Turn up volume past 2pm and the sound can be distorted.
N3Pro PO > BX4: tube sound lusher, sound stage narrower but background darker. N3Pro volume at 100, BX4 past 2pm or even 3pm, still no distortion.

Never say never. Just found a WA8 somewhere. One week later I will be tying myself to a desk and HD800s.

We are always short of one piece of gear...🤦

And a few brick shy of a load I fear sometimes:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back