Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 22, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #1,006 of 2,511
Audiophile noob here. Just got the N3Pro as my first DAP. Have a question on FR graphs and translating them into EQ settings – got an Audeze iSine10 on loan and I'm at a loss at how to tune the EQ on the N3Pro. I have a PDF with lots of graphs on it to refer to but I have no idea what I'm looking at. Is it possible to tweak the sound of the iSine10 according to the recommended settings in the PDF via the N3Pro's EQ band?

Base on the information provided by the PDF, the EQ settings are Parametric EQ, we didn't provide this feature in N3pro. We only have regular 10 bands EQ in N3Pro.

1600747395088.png

PS. I see, you have figured it out already. to the best of my knowledge, the lighting version of iSine10 and iSine20 have these PMEQ built in. if you are an iOS user, you can use the lighting cable to check out the sound signature as suggested by Audeze.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 22, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,007 of 2,511
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 22, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,008 of 2,511
yeah. just realized I had it on the whole time I was trying to pair with my phone to stream music.. seems like it has to be switched off or the Bluetooth DAC function won't work.
Yeah I didn’t realize the hibylink must be switched off in order to connect by iPhone to the N3Pro by Bluetooth to use steaming service on my phone such as Tidal and Spotify.

Sep 22, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #1,009 of 2,511
Do you consider this DAP warm sounding?

Ps. For whom that might be on the fence and/or looking for a Quick ship, I put mine on sell (see signature).
Yes it is very much a warm dap, if N3pro is this good I can't imagine the N8 that's why I am ordering one. Don't expect Sp2000 like resolution or clarity but you will start dancing with the music. And i recommend using neutral iems rather than warm iems, it becomes too much.

Sep 22, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #1,010 of 2,511
Yes it is very much a warm dap, if N3pro is this good I can't imagine the N8 that's why I am ordering one. Don't expect Sp2000 like resolution or clarity but you will start dancing with the music. And i recommend using neutral iems rather than warm iems, it becomes too much.

That Is exactly part of my "problem" and the main reason why I decided to sell It.

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,011 of 2,511
The problem is you have warm monitors + warm dap and it is too much for you? You can try buying a neutral iem as well.

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #1,012 of 2,511
Strange, I have created a folder with 5 levels, and it works find with my N3Pro.

I need more sample on this potential bug. Can someone give me a hand? If you have four or five level folders in your music library, can you please try out hemtmaker's sequence and tell us whether you run into any problem. :beerchug:
It is very strange indeed. To give you a specific example:

1) Without any other songs in my card, i can have the following with stuttering/crashing
TF card->Music->Various Artists->XXX 7CD set->XXX Disk 4->[songs]

2) As song as i have added all other ~9000 songs to the card, the above will cause stutter/crash so i have to resort to:
TF card->Various Artists->XXX 7CD set->XXX Disk 4->[songs]

No idea what's causing this i have tried shortening the folder characters as per Andy's suggestions but it didn't help. In addition, i have also tried another card, as well as different card formats (FAT/EXFAT/NTFS). I dun mind it as long as it's not a hardware problem specific to my unit.

Cheers!

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #1,013 of 2,511
The problem is you have warm monitors + warm dap and it is too much for you? You can try buying a neutral iem as well.

Basically yes, I have discovered I probably Need brighter sources..

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #1,014 of 2,511
It is very strange indeed. To give you a specific example:

1) Without any other songs in my card, i can have the following with stuttering/crashing
TF card->Music->Various Artists->XXX 7CD set->XXX Disk 4->[songs]

2) As song as i have added all other ~9000 songs to the card, the above will cause stutter/crash so i have to resort to:
TF card->Various Artists->XXX 7CD set->XXX Disk 4->[songs]

No idea what's causing this i have tried shortening the folder characters as per Andy's suggestions but it didn't help. In addition, i have also tried another card, as well as different card formats (FAT/EXFAT/NTFS). I dun mind it as long as it's not a hardware problem specific to my unit.

Cheers!
Damn..... I was listening to the songs under TF card->Various Artists->XXX 7CD set->XXX Disk 4, and it's not working anymore. Tried to add one of my songs to the playlist and stuttering/freeze occurred. Repeated for the same song for 3 times and the same thing happened. @Andy, i think i will bring my card and try a different unit at the local dealer in Australia (A1 Future Shop) to make sure this isn't a hardware issue specific to my unit

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #1,015 of 2,511
It does get more energetic in the highs with burn in. I’ve got about 70 to 80 hours on mine and it's sound has opened up a bit and the bass has tightened up a bit.

The SS outputs I would consider similar to opus 1, or hiby r6 as neutralish with a touch of warmth. Although the treble to me is more extended than r6. The tri mode is warm, and the ul mode less so.

I have warmish iems and the ul mode has plenty of treble energy and detail. The 4.4 is better than it was on unboxing but still has the most bass energy to me. Its not calyx m warm or wmz1 warm. How many hours do you have on it?

And it is a touch warmer in SS than say ibasso dx220 stock or cayin n5ii, or wm1a.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #1,016 of 2,511
As I wrote earlier on, It Is Just because I own a proprietary cable from Cayin that did wonders on other devices. Since the implementation of USB C to coax was an "historical" feature from them, I expected to be more interesting than that. I use the same cable with the xduoo XT II and It goes up to every frequency.

It Is to me interesting in order to be able to use i.e. Mojo when feeding High impedence cans, and I hoped this way to simplify my rig, getting rid of the xduoo. At the same time Mojo Is known to have a less than perfect USB implementation, hence the Need for classical coax. Hope the scenario Is more clear now.

I never had any problems with mojo usb, maybe it's a thing with n3p and the mojo. Idk I got rid of the mojo because it was a bit warm for my taste.

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,017 of 2,511
Did your N3pro lost 10% battery overnight ? Or just one-off? When did you start using the N3Pro?

The battery reading is an estimation of battery capacity based on historical data. It can be a wrong reading before you finish your first charging cycle. If your N3Pro really lost 10% every night, that means some of the power capacitor is not working correctly and lost it charge gradually at idle, this is a hardware problem that need immediate attention.

I don't think it's losing that much now, it could have been just a one off. I'll double check it. I think this happened right after I got it or very shortly after.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,018 of 2,511
N3Pro is a warm DAP for sure, but still have good resolution and clarity for most music. I agree matching iems play a part too, i.e. using iems that’s not too warm. Most of my iems works great. For me, I also added S1 to the N3P and I have 6 useful sound profiles for different music (4 from N3P + 2 from S1) :)

72BB9797-05F8-4A2A-BFEB-52581E3FB8B6.jpeg

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,019 of 2,511
It does get more energetic in the highs with burn in. I’ve got about 70 to 80 hours on mine and it's sound has opened up a bit and the bass has tightened up a bit.

The SS outputs I would consider similar to opus 1, or hiby r6 as neutralish with a touch of warmth. Although the treble to me is more extended than r6. The tri mode is warm, and the ul mode less so.

I have warmish iems and the ul mode has plenty of treble energy and detail. The 4.4 is better than it was on unboxing but still has the most bass energy to me. Its not calyx m warm or wmz1 warm. How many hours do you have on it?

I have only about 30 hrs so far. I hope it will open up the 4.4 output and improve the bass too.

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,020 of 2,511
BTW, can it output from both the 4.4mm and 3.5mm outputs at once? The DX160 can do it without any difference in SQ and its pretty cool when you want to share some tunes with a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back