Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 16, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #886 of 2,511
N3Pro has better instrument separation and clarity in 4.4mm and 3.5mm,
Soundstage is similar for both in 4.4mm, DX160 has wider soundstage in 3.5mm.
I think most of the people buying N3Pro because of its sweetest 3.5mm tube mode vocal.
Agreed, it's like 2in1 DAP+Tube Amp. Does this tube has any interference when it's near the cell phone?

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #889 of 2,511
My n3Pro crashes and restart quite often randomly when adding music to favorite folder and sometime when turning up or down volume. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #890 of 2,511
My n3Pro crashes and restart quite often randomly when adding music to favorite folder and sometime when turning up or down volume. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?
Mine does it when I add music by navigating the folder with too many levels of sub folders in it. The exact number of levels when this will occur depends on how many songs you have. At the moment with 9000 songs in my card, I can have 3 levels of sub folder without encountering this issue.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #891 of 2,511

Did you Reset the player? swipe up -> system setting -> reset? Also, after you add music, do you Scan Music (in Folders), just to be sure?

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #892 of 2,511
Definitely N3Pro, ( 3.5mm tube mode ) gives more details, energetic, fleshy sounds.
It sounds more natural and "real" to my ears.
The first time I hear such a rich and sweet vocal coming from a DAP instead of a MiniDisc player.

PXL_20200916_035724194.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

What IEMs/headphones are you using in comparison?

Yes, I agree as well. There is definitely a difference in tonality, with DX160 having a leaner mids/vocals while N3Pro having a fuller sound with more body. Also, typical of many Cayin DAPs, bass has a little more impact with a stronger and more articulate punch. In terms of technical performance (soundstage, dynamics, layering), when you compare DX160 bal output vs N3Pro bal SS - DX has a wider soundstage and better dynamics. BUT once you switch N3Pro to single ended Tube output (UL mode) and compare it to DX160 bal output (which is SS), to my ears (using EE Odin) the soundstage expansion of N3Pro is even a bit wider and dynamics/layering is on par.

I know I sound like a broken record cause quite a few people pinged me asking if I'm sure that "single ended" output of N3Pro that good? We embedded into our mind that BAL has to be superior to SE, while N3Pro tube output (as well as N6ii w/E01) is a good reminder that it is all about implementation, not the label of BAL vs SE.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #893 of 2,511
What IEMs/headphones are you using in comparison?

Yes, I agree as well. There is definitely a difference in tonality, with DX160 having a leaner mids/vocals while N3Pro having a fuller sound with more body. Also, typical of many Cayin DAPs, bass has a little more impact with a stronger and more articulate punch. In terms of technical performance (soundstage, dynamics, layering), when you compare DX160 bal output vs N3Pro bal SS - DX has a wider soundstage and better dynamics. BUT once you switch N3Pro to single ended Tube output (UL mode) and compare it to DX160 bal output (which is SS), to my ears (using EE Odin) the soundstage expansion of N3Pro is even a bit wider and dynamics/layering is on par.

I know I sound like a broken record cause quite a few people pinged me asking if I'm sure that "single ended" output of N3Pro that good? We embedded into our mind that BAL has to be superior to SE, while N3Pro tube output (as well as N6ii w/E01) is a good reminder that it is all about implementation, not the label of BAL vs SE.

CKR100 and some Chi-Fi.
By the way, just sold my DX160 :beyersmile:

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #895 of 2,511
What IEMs has everyone been using with this DAP? I’m also curious as to whether or not the Tin P1’s would pair well with either tube mode.

Tested the TIN P1 yesterday out of the 3.5
Feels like a good match as none of my DAPs could handle the needs of the P! without amplification so I've been stuck using the E1DA PVD2 amp to power the P1
Initially been enjoying my VE Zen2s and Sun DICE out of the 4.4 as they are power hogs too.
gonna see it it can push my Argons this weekend
Feels like our old family Grundig Majestic sound in an reasonably inexpensive portable
Not in the same family of sound as my original N3

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #897 of 2,511
The first time I hear such a rich and sweet vocal coming from a DAP instead of a MiniDisc player.

Sliiiightly off-topic, but are MD players and the MD ecosystem, if you will, worth getting into as a complete newbie with no prior experience? I only came of age during the iPod era, so DAPs are all I've ever known.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #898 of 2,511
Perfect desktop solution for the days that I work in office.
B82274E0-D19C-465A-B81A-2862640E9D58.jpeg

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #900 of 2,511
Can anyone confirm N3pro does gapless playback without glitches?

I believe so, listening to Works IV album by Joe Hisaishi, in FLAC 16 bit/44.1 khz, there's no glitches at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back