Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 12, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #812 of 2,518
Yes, if you connect N3Pro as USB DAC, it will charge at the same time.
My ibasso player could charge and play at the same time, but it ran out of battery faster than it could charge and would die completely mid-playback. Is this an issue here?

Also quick question on the LEDs illuminating the tube, does it turn on in an instant or does it slowly light up? I feel like adding a "slowly light up" function for the LEDs will add to the immersion? I'm not sure though.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #813 of 2,518
Got it today. Man...gorgeous DAP...gorgeous sound quality.
923B40DF-25A1-4AB4-B10D-B85F78BF2C4A.jpeg
AC29E564-9F91-4CCD-8D05-1D9F05069CF1.jpeg
52382B8B-5AD5-4AF4-B179-20A65E45ECCF.jpeg
7DE99492-6DAA-454E-A978-4036D1DB38F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #814 of 2,518
Thanks for the tip. Speaking of pairing with the phone. The lag in BT receiver mode is normal right? Pretty distracting when watching YouTube I have to say

To the best of my knowledge, all Bluetooth audio codecs have latency that is audible in the form of lip-sync or delayed special effect (of games and movies). apx has developed a special codec called aptxLL to handle these applications, LL stands for Low Latency. The aptxLL is flxed at 16Bit/44.1kHz, not exactly an ideal codec for hi-res audio application. In fact, even aptxHD is limited to 24Bit/48kHz, so Cayin decided to opt for LDAC instead of the Qualcomm solution which require additional Qualcomm hardware.

In fact, audio sync. has always been a problem with bluetooth and outboard DAC/soundcard or AV processor, that's why most video player app offers audio sync adjustment to solve the sync problem. I have that problem too with my home audio system when I connect my PC to a Yamaha AV center (or Bluetooth headphone if that matters), but I can fine tune the audio sync. to match lip syn or special effect such as gun fire in movies. My Yamaha AV center offer similar setting but they are less user friendly. Unfortunately Youtube didn't offer similar settings, at least not that I am aware of.

1599982874852.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 13, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #815 of 2,518
To the best of my knowledge, all Bluetooth audio codecs have latency that is audible in the form of lip-sync or delayed special effect (of games and movies). apx has developed a special codec called aptxLL to handle these applications, LL stands for Low Latency. The aptxLL is flxed at 16Bit/44.1kHz, not exactly an ideal codec for hi-res audio application. In fact, even aptxHD is limited to 24Bit/48kHz, so Cayin decided to opt for LDAC instead of the Qualcomm solution which require additional Qualcomm hardware.

In fact, audio sync. has always been a problem with bluetooth and outboard DAC/soundcard or AV processor, that's why most video player app offers audio sync adjustment to solve the sync problem. I have that problem too with my home audio system when I connect my PC to a Yamaha AV center (or Bluetooth headphone if that matters), but I can fine tune the audio sync. to match lip syn or special effect such as gun fire in movies. My Yamaha AV center offer similar setting but they are less user friendly. Unfortunately Youtube didn't offer similar settings, at least not that I am aware of.

1599982874852.png
I've used the original Cayin N3 and DX160 in Bluetooth DAC mode and there haven't been any latency issues.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #816 of 2,518
I have just done the test. My folder arrangement is L1-L2-L3-L4-L5(songs), each time i:
1) Play the song
2) Press the home button
3) Press the three dots on the top right corner
4) Press +
5) Press add to favourite

I repeat the test 4 times, i notice lags starting from the 2nd song. On average, after the 3rd song i will get a freeze screen and the players restarts

When i reduce the subfolders to L2-L3-L4-L5(songs), i can add all the songs in L5 without freeze/restart

So this is a matter of maximum number of characters in the address line of a playlist item, not really related to maximum number of levels allowed. I once run into similar problem on 32Bit Window 7 system, that was a classical Percussion album with a very long orchestra and album name, by the time I followed my usual folder organisation of Classical music by Genre>Composer>Conductor (or Artist)> Orchestra (or bang)>Album>Track titles, I was stuck because of invalid file address, I can play move, delete or edit the file name of the music files because the file address is too long. That's why I suspect you have run into the same error.

The quickest solution is to shorten the name of the folders. If we extend then maximum character length of Folder name and address line, this will increase the CPU resource allocation which is a tight problem for N3Pro.

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #817 of 2,518
So this is a matter of maximum number of characters in the address line of a playlist item, not really related to maximum number of levels allowed. I once run into similar problem on 32Bit Window 7 system, that was a classical Percussion album with a very long orchestra and album name, by the time I followed my usual folder organisation of Classical music by Genre>Composer>Conductor (or Artist)> Orchestra (or bang)>Album>Track titles, I was stuck because of invalid file address, I can play move, delete or edit the file name of the music files because the file address is too long. That's why I suspect you have run into the same error.

The quickest solution is to shorten the name of the folders. If we extend then maximum character length of Folder name and address line, this will increase the CPU resource allocation which is a tight problem for N3Pro.
Hi Andy,

No it is not the case. In my tests, I literally have the folders named “L1”, “L2”, “L3” etc... The issue doesn’t occur when I reduced the number of levels from 5 to 4.

I can keep the number of levels at 4 and have longer names for the folders and it’s fine.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #820 of 2,518
I found on thing I personally don't like. I lost 10% of the battery life last night with the unit off. I don’t think I've had any potable electronics discharge that much battery overnight. Especially with the unit off.

I hope cayin can improve this. Also would be nice if they could smooth the album art loading on the ui also. Sometimes mine doesn't load or it partially loads and I have to go back to artist and load it again to get all the albums to load artwork.

The hiby r3p uses the same processor and is much faster in that regard. Not as big of a deal as the battery discharge rate.

Sep 13, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #821 of 2,518
Hope you closed any apps.

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #823 of 2,518
I went over to a store and picked up an n3pro today. Love the sound so much; it sounds so alive.

There is an issue with navigation though; when entering the genre section, I think it'd be better to have an option to view albums instead of a list of all the songs in the genre. Also, i wish you could get to the music playing scrubbing thing when you click on a song instead of having to go back all the way to the front page.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #825 of 2,518
I just found another bug.
When I search for songs and use the quick alphabet slider on the right. Letters from ‘s’ onwards do not work.

Maybe one of the folder or music file is NOT recognisable by the system, it can be strange coding in ID3 tag, or corrupted file. look for files that has symbols in filename or title name. Files that are smaller then average (less than 1MB) or larger then average. .. etc.

Rounghly how many songs altogether in your TF card? Can you move to the last song with r, stay to play through the songs start with S, skip to next songs after 10 sec to make sure the songs, album art and metadata are all recognised by the player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back