Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Aug 8, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #226 of 2,518

The leather case is an optional accessory priced at US$29 originally, so it really depends on dealer if this will be included in their pre-order special offer..

The color :rolling_eyes:... anyway, it’s free
I had a similar thought. Glad it wasn't pink :wink:
Exactly — hence why I'm asking :p

Is it really that bad? I have used it for 2 days and it wasn't that bad, maybe I have a strange taste. :sweat_smile:

N3Pro with leather case 02.jpg

N3Pro with leather case 01.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 8, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #227 of 2,518
The leather case is an optional accessory priced at US$29 originally, so it really depends on dealer if this will be included in their pre-order special offer..

Is it really that bad? I have used it for 2 days and it wasn't that bad, maybe I have a strange taste. :sweat_smile:

N3Pro with leather case 02.jpg
N3Pro with leather case 01.jpg
@Andykong mmmhhh, yes... green is not my favorite color. Luxury problem :wink: I am very excited to get your N3pro. Sound is the most important, accessories, not so much

Aug 8, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #228 of 2,518
Will yellow or orange colour be available?🤔

We didn't have any plan to offer another color of leather cover at the moment.

Aug 8, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #229 of 2,518
As someone looking for my first “real” dap, who only cares about using local flac files, sound quality and a smooth and intuitive UI focused on just getting to the music, this is sounding amazing. I hope that the audio quality is the major focus here, given that it does away with the fancy screens, WiFi and streaming of other midrange players.
On paper this sounds like exactly what I’m looking for. I love that it can be a home dac/amp as well to use with my laptop.

I’d like to see reviews before I buy it...if I wait for reviews will it be available to buy after they’re out or before? I’m in the US.

I’m on the edge of buying a wm1a for all the reasons I listed above but now I wonder if I should hold off and see how the reviews of this device go...

Can someone interpret this sentence from the announcement write up? “The R&D difficulties are in proportional to the entry level position of N3Pro.” Not sure what they’re trying to convey here. May be an issue of translation to English?

Lastly, I really hope this isn’t just a gimmick. At the $500 I’m just kind of dubious that it’ll sound excellent in solid state and tube mode. And the caveats about tube mode potentially having disruptions when the dap is held and moved or put on a table, etc makes me nervous.

So you think that it’s solid state sound quality will just be average? I’m just thinking that the tube option is just a bonus on top of a great sounding “regular” dap.

You assume the two options are mutually exclusive? If the tube timbre is good, then the solid state will just be average?

The major innovation is offering two different sound signature in one DAP, 4.4mm Balanced and 3.5mm Single-ended (Tube) of N3Pro sounds slightly different. Based on our past experience, some users will prefer 3.5mm Tube, but some will stick with 4.4mm. It mostly depends on user's preference, choice of music and synergy with earphone/headphone. For instance, if someone mainly listen to jazz, rock, OST etc, then he/she probably will prefer 4.4mm Balanced.

Take your time, wait for reviews or audition opportunity at accessible shops, check out the different in person, others can't make this decision on your behalf. :sweat_smile:

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #230 of 2,518
No, no. I was just saying that I use tube amps with guitars because the tubes distort in a pleasant way but I am not sure of the benefits of tubes in this application (amplifying recorded music).

If you are interested to know the benefit of tubes in amplifying recorded music in general, tube DAP is not a good start because we are close to unique in the market. Maybe you can check out some tube amplifier reviews, that should give you a fair bit of understanding immediately.

For example, you can start (HERE)

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #231 of 2,518
Hi, I'm very interested in the N3Pro. I use HiBy R5 a lot for Tidal offline. I'd like to confirm if I can keep using the R5 for Tidal, and output to N3Pro through either UAT or USB? Will there be any gotchas with that set up?

Thank you.
Theoretically, yes, but all you need is a bluetooth source for N3Pro, then mobile phone probably is a better choice.

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #232 of 2,518
If you are interested to know the benefit of tubes in amplifying recorded music in general, tube DAP is not a good start because we are close to unique in the market. Maybe you can check out some tube amplifier reviews, that should give you a fair bit of understanding immediately.

For example, you can start (HERE)
Thank you, I'll check that out. I have done some reading since I posted my original comment and I was surprised to learn that tubes amplify in a much more linear way, and that solid state circuits require a lot of jiggery pokery to overcome their non-linear nature.

I don't know why I've never come across them in music systems before...I've always used tube amps when playing guitar.

I'm defintely interested to hear how they sound in the N3Pro. I still use my N3 on a regular basis, as part of my modest DAP rotation, and based on my experience with that, I have no doubts about how good the sound quality will be on a new 'entry-level' (or entry-level+ to me) Cayin player.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #233 of 2,518
We rather not comment on subjective aspects of our own products. We have sent out three review samples already, and will send out more by end of month, so you'll find out the audition comparison against N6ii through various reviewer soon.

We don't have any plan between N3Pro and N6ii, we'll wait and see what happen to N3Pro before we make up our mind. The biggest problem with non-Android DAP is choice of MCU. We didn't have a lot of choice on this part.

Thanks for the reply Andy.

Always appreciate the openness of your messages. :relaxed:
Hope to catch up at the next Singapore CamJam when it becomes available. Stay safe and take care.

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #234 of 2,518

Yeah — it’s, to me, real bad :p
Didn’t stop me from pre-ordering it though :wink:

I’ll wait for Dignis for a case matching my tastes and the overall gorgeous design of the N3 Pro — I think that’s the reason I don’t like the green leather case —I don’t feel it matches the aesthetics of the N3 Pro.

To each his/her own I guess.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #236 of 2,518
Aug 10, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #237 of 2,518
Based off a decent google translation, sounds like it’s a bit of a mixed bag. Not overly negative but certainly not calling it a giant killer or punching above its weight.
Which daps they consider "Giants"?

Aug 10, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #238 of 2,518
Based off a decent google translation, sounds like it’s a bit of a mixed bag. Not overly negative but certainly not calling it a giant killer or punching above its weight.

Same understanding here.

At the same time—every review of the A&K SP1000M pretty much heralded it as a masterpiece and, to my ears... it ain’t!

Aug 10, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #239 of 2,518

Users who are viewing this thread

Back