Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Oct 26, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #6,181 of 6,262
headphone IEM earbud recommendations for the N3?
Just received a Cyan N3

I have been happy connecting any of my IEMs or earbuds to the N3. Also some lower impedance headphones. I usually use low or medium gain with super slow rolloff. It is usually the first DAP that I grab when checking out a new IEM or bud.

Dec 2, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #6,183 of 6,262
Hello everyone,
Today i purchased the famous cayin N3 to use with chord mojo:beerchug:

Ordered the type c to coax cable also.

Happy to be here :smile_phones:

Congrats, as you can see MB usually grabs it the minute a new iem or bud comes in (if you've seen her profile you'll see she might get one or two deliveries daily):open_mouth: jk MB, we can blame at least half on the Panda anyway:wink:

Dec 2, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #6,184 of 6,262
Congrats, as you can see MB usually grabs it the minute a new iem or bud comes in (if you've seen her profile you'll see she might get one or two deliveries daily):open_mouth: jk MB, we can blame at least half on the Panda anyway:wink:

We can blame it all on the Panda. I had one headphone when I met him. I was a hifi speaker based system girl. He bought me my first DAP. It was an iRiver with a little hard drive in it...20GB I think... lol.

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #6,185 of 6,262
Hello everyone,

Fantastic idea.

I still use and love this little DAP. Coupled with the Mojo, it should be your go-to source for a long time.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #6,186 of 6,262
All this N3 talk inspired me to play:smirk: er listen to mine all day and it is indeed a lovely player seen here stacked with my little red Jazz amp on the Solos:grin:

JazzoloN3.JPG

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #6,187 of 6,262
N3.jpg
N3a.jpg
Hello everyone,

Today received the N3 package. So far so good:gs1000smile:. The N3 is working fine. Sound quality is awesome for the price.

Sharing some pics.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #6,188 of 6,262
I'm sad to announce I'll be moving on from the N3... I recently picked up an xDuoo X10T II portable digital transport, and WOW. Chord Mojo has never sounded so good. The difference between the N3 and xDuoo as sources is small, but those differences for me make a big impact in how realistic and enjoyable music sounds (e.g. snare drums are now perfectly resolved, all the little details that make each strike of the snare unique are all there and they sound so natural and realistic). It is truly stunning, every time I sit down with the combo, and I now realize that Mojo is probably one of the best DACs I've ever owned. I've been having a very hard time keeping Mojo off since receiving this unit, and will take any excuse to listen to music while out and about (like walking from my apartment complex over to the garage where I park my car). It really brings the wow factor to the table in a big way and I highly, highly recommend it.

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #6,189 of 6,262
I'm sad to announce I'll be moving on from the N3... I recently picked up an xDuoo X10T II portable digital transport, and WOW. Chord Mojo has never sounded so good. The difference between the N3 and xDuoo as sources is small, but those differences for me make a big impact in how realistic and enjoyable music sounds (e.g. snare drums are now perfectly resolved, all the little details that make each strike of the snare unique are all there and they sound so natural and realistic). It is truly stunning, every time I sit down with the combo, and I now realize that Mojo is probably one of the best DACs I've ever owned. I've been having a very hard time keeping Mojo off since receiving this unit, and will take any excuse to listen to music while out and about (like walking from my apartment complex over to the garage where I park my car). It really brings the wow factor to the table in a big way and I highly, highly recommend it.

Good to know that because I was looking for a transport to connect to a SMSL SU-8 via optical or coax.How are you connecting your xduoo to the Chord?

Regards!

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #6,190 of 6,262
Good to know that because I was looking for a transport to connect to a SMSL SU-8 via optical or coax.How are you connecting your xduoo to the Chord?

Regards!

I go back and forth between coax and optical. Honestly they are very close sound-wise. Optical is very slightly more focused, coax is slightly more warm/full, but the coax cable makes the units stack more neatly so that's what I use most of the time.

I tried using it as a transport for my desktop DACs (Bifrost Multibit, Bifrost 2, AudioGD DAC19 mk3), and sometimes still do, but ultimately the coax output of the Oppo BDP-103 is still a better transport and so most of my listening happens through the Oppo. For portable use though, I think the xDuoo would be very difficult to beat

Dec 12, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #6,191 of 6,262
CUSTOM FIRMWARE v3.1 AVAILABLE NOW

Hi fellow N3 folks. Gives me great pleasure to present you with Custom Firmware v3.1 for the Cayin N3, thanks in no small part to the help of @captblaze.

You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hvg6bqafo1ivcv/update.upt?dl=0

Since v3.1 is only a minor update (but with important tweaks) to v3.0, so v3.1 custom is a minor update to v3.0 custom. It has all the new features and functions of the official v3.1 firmware, so if you're stressed about switching to custom firmware, don't be!

The only visual tweak to v3.1 custom is a new landing page image in the NSFW theme (Theme C), since a few folks mentioned it was a touch too risqué for their taste.

Enjoy your new custom firmware, and as always, feel free to shout if you have any questions.

gLer

Can someone link me to the Custom Firmware V3.1? The link isn't working.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #6,192 of 6,262
Hey everyone, glad to see this forum thread is still going! :)

I have a bit of technical help needed in regards to tagging mp3 files. I use MP3tag for...well...correcting tags and image art. The problem I have is that it isn't showing the album art or is very hit and miss on the N3. Can anyone offer a solution or even an alternative?

Thanks in advance :beerchug:

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #6,193 of 6,262
Hey everyone, glad to see this forum thread is still going! :)

I have a bit of technical help needed in regards to tagging mp3 files. I use MP3tag for...well...correcting tags and image art. The problem I have is that it isn't showing the album art or is very hit and miss on the N3. Can anyone offer a solution or even an alternative?

Thanks in advance :beerchug:

I went through this same struggle when I got mine. Check page 407 for my issues, but to sum it up, art can be embedded or just a .jpg in the folder - if it's just an image in the same folder, it needs to have the filename be either "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg". Whether it's embedded or just a .jpg in the folder, it needs to be a "non-progressive" jpeg. You can open it in a program like GIMP to fix this if that's the issue. Good luck!

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #6,194 of 6,262
I went through this same struggle when I got mine. Check page 407 for my issues, but to sum it up, art can be embedded or just a .jpg in the folder - if it's just an image in the same folder, it needs to have the filename be either "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg". Whether it's embedded or just a .jpg in the folder, it needs to be a "non-progressive" jpeg. You can open it in a program like GIMP to fix this if that's the issue. Good luck!
Thanks! I'll give this a try in a few days when I've more time. Had no idea that it needs to be a non-progressive jpeg.

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #6,195 of 6,262
HeadFi is a wonderful platform and the discussion thread is just like a living organism, it will grow and self-sustain on its own. :ksc75smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back