Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 8, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #1,741 of 6,262
N3 and Vega :L3000:
IMG_0569.jpg

May 8, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #1,742 of 6,262
I just purchased one from a seller that has it listed with Amazon Prime. It hasn't shipped yet, so what I'd like to know is if they are a legit, authorized seller of Cayin products in the U.S.? The seller name is Rebound Audio.

May 8, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #1,743 of 6,262
I just purchased one from a seller that has it listed with Amazon Prime. It hasn't shipped yet, so what I'd like to know is if they are a legit, authorized seller of Cayin products in the U.S.? The seller name is Rebound Audio.

Why wouldn't you buy it from MusicTeck, it's listed as other Seller on Amazon, the same $149 plus free shipping and guaranteed to be an authorized seller of Cayin products who supports and honors their warranty? :) You gotta be careful with sellers on amazon since under a product multi-listing you never know who you're going to get.

May 8, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #1,744 of 6,262
Why wouldn't you buy it from MusicTeck, it's listed as other Seller on Amazon, the same $149 plus free shipping and guaranteed to be an authorized seller of Cayin products who supports and honors their warranty? :) You gotta be careful with sellers on amazon since under a product multi-listing you never know who you're going to get.

I think it was the Prime designation that swayed me, as it would mean quicker delivery and Amazon's backing for hassle free returns.

May 8, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #1,745 of 6,262
I think it was the Prime designation that swayed me, as it would mean quicker delivery and Amazon's backing for hassle free returns.

I just heard, Rebound seller is NOT an authorized Cayin seller which means your purchase will not be covered by warranty :frowning2:

May 9, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #1,748 of 6,262
Totally agree with @twister6. Go with MusicTeck. The owner, Andrew, is a great guy!

Yeah, I went ahead and cancelled the order with the other place and ordered through MusicTeck on Amazon. I'll have to wait a bit longer, but at least I'll have the piece of mind of getting it from an authorized and reputable dealer that has a good track record with this community.

May 9, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #1,749 of 6,262
open
Finally we have everything on hand to engage mass production and we can set a date on the RED N3.

Yes, the forthcoming N3 is Red, as someone has guessed already.

Unless there are unforeseeable complication showing up, otherwise we can expect the Red N3 available within 2 weeks time.

The Red shade will be affected by the lighting so the color might not appear to be uniformed. We'll be showing the real thing at the LAAS (Booth 113) next month, if you are attending the LAAS this year, please come to check it out in person.

open
This red color is amazing...I wonder if the advancedmp3players.co.uk could send a red replacement N3 to me? Yes, I have sent my N3 back because it had dead pixels on the screen :sob: and I hope I will get a faulty free one back.

May 9, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #1,750 of 6,262
Just got the email from advancemp3players saying my N3 has been posted to me...but black...no RED version in stock yet...it would have been nice....advancemp3players customer service was amazing...recommended.

May 9, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #1,751 of 6,262
How does the Cayin N3 hold up against the xDuoo X10?

Before you all go crazy and shout out "why don't you just buy the Cayin N3 and the xDuoo X10 and compare them yourself", rest assured, I have done just that.

After having a FiiO X1 and wanting a little more, I bought a FiiO X5 on Amazon, but I never received it, so I got a refund and decided to .

Then the xDuoo X10 entered the scene.

Why I bought the xDuoo X10:
- The hype in Heaf-Fi. It was a giant killer. Or so they said.
- It has room for two memory cards (2 x micro SD cards).

Why did I buy the Cayin N3 if I had the xDuoo X10:
- The xDuoo X10 does not play gapless. This is kind of a end game for me, I cannot enjoy the music fully if albums that are gapless are not played that way.

So before I jump into the sound, some comments on both units:

xDuoo X10:
Pros:
- Good sound.
- 2 micro SD card slots.
- Optical out.
- Very solid design.​
Cons:
- No gapless playback.
- No cover art if image is in file tag (can be fixed with external image in folder).
- No equalizer.​

Cayin N3
Pros:
- Good sound.
- Gapless.
- Album art shows from file tag.
- A little bit smaller.
- Equalizer.​
Cons:
- No wheel (for selecting albums, songs, ...).
- Only 1 micro SD card slot.
- Custom charger connector (damn you Cayin!)
- Plastic and flimsy feel.​

On to the sound:

I have been switching units with the same earphones (TFZ series 5S) for the last hour and I cannot for the life of me find a difference in the sound. I can imagine everybody throwing their arms to the air and saying they are night and day, totally different soundstages, bla, bla, bla. But sorry. I cannot hear it.

To my ears, and this is my opinion: The Cayin N3 and the xDuoo X10 sound very similar, I can't say the same, but very close.

Later I will try and compare with the Sennheiser HD-6XX and see how well they can feed the 600 ohm headphones. And tomorrow I will try and bring the Sennheiser in ear momentums and the Kef M200 and give them another spin to see if with other phones I can get any other difference in sound.

Thoughts:

I can see myself happy with both, the lack of gapless playback in the xDuoo is kind of and end game, and the lack of an equalizer can be missed sometimes. But the user interface (the wheel) to quickly scan through a big number of folders or files is a better option than not to have one. Optical out is also a very nice option to have. The

As for the Cayin, it looks better designed (and not made by an engineering team like the xDuoo X10), but the custom connector (damn you Cayin) really bugs me. And the navigation for accessing your beloved music files over hundreds of folders can be a bit annoying. I must say the Cayin N3 looks more premium.

After using both digital audio players, I kind of miss the user interface from the FiiO X1.

After rereading all the verbal diareah I have writen, I notice there is very little on comparing the sound. I other posts you get comparasons of the Highs, Mids, Lows, Soundstage and music separation, etcetera. But as I have mentioned I cannot really hear that much difference.

I guess I will sell one of them,... still deciding on what one I will take home.

If you have any questions please ask. I will do my best to respond them.

I was also thinking of posting this same message on the xDuoo X10 thread, but I do not want to duplicate posts (unless a moderator sugests an alternative).

Thanks to all for reading me and have fun.
d0WkmQ

i2Dbt5

gsoWRQ

cXyn0k

ceZGt5

mwuufk

May 9, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #1,752 of 6,262
The N3 uses USB type C connection not a custom connector for charging.
Althought, the USB C can be used for digital out with a custom cable.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #1,753 of 6,262
Yeah, I went ahead and cancelled the order with the other place and ordered through MusicTeck on Amazon. I'll have to wait a bit longer, but at least I'll have the piece of mind of getting it from an authorized and reputable dealer that has a good track record with this community.

Good choice. Also from my experience they ship next business day so it shouldn't take long to arrive.

May 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #1,754 of 6,262
The N3 uses USB type C connection not a custom connector for charging.
Althought, the USB C can be used for digital out with a custom cable.

Thanks for the correction. I stupidly assumed that as it was not my usual micro USB android connector (or the Apple IOS connector) it was custom like old Cowon players (don't know about new Cowons).

May 9, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #1,755 of 6,262
Thanks for the correction. I stupidly assumed that as it was not my usual micro USB android connector (or the Apple IOS connector) it was custom like old Cowon players (don't know about new Cowons).

My Cowon Plenue 1 uses micro USB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back