Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 12, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #1,231 of 6,262
  I decided yesterday to test it out. I took a lab bench supply, dialed in 5.000v@2.000a and charged it to 100%, waited until the light went solid and the monitored power source showed current cutoff, then unplugged it yesterday. I then waited an hour and it was down at 97%.

I then ran it down until it shut down from low battery, plugged it back in to the monitored source, and let it charge until the light went solid + current cutoff. I unplugged it and let it sit overnight.

Fired it up this morning and it's at 99%, which is where I expected it to be. Looks like it's not an issue with the unit, but rather just the battery calibrating it's monitor.

I've noticed that if you have the Idle Shutdown set high (mine was at 1 hour), it does drain a noticeable amount while you are paused and it's idling. Setting the Idle Shutdown to a lower number allows it to turn "completely off" faster and reduce idle consumption. The tradeoff is that if you walk away for that time, you have to wait for the boot sequence again.

The X1-II has a "deep sleep" mode that kicks in when not playing to conserve battery and allow return from standby quickly. The X1-II, when in the deep-sleep, has a different wake up sequence (no splash screen, just spin wait for a second or two). I'm pretty sure the N3 doesn't have a deep sleep standby and just waits for the Idle Shutdown time to be reached and then powers off; it always requires booting with the same sequence (splash screen).

Now that is a useful function to have.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,232 of 6,262
@Andykong : A suggestion for the next firmware - a "deep sleep" mode where the player can rapidly resume to where it left off, similar to Hibernate on desktop computers, but allows the player to resume faster than having to do a full boot after the Idle Timeout expires

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #1,233 of 6,262
  @Andykong : A suggestion for the next firmware - a "deep sleep" mode where the player can rapidly resume to where it left off, similar to Hibernate on desktop computers, but allows the player to resume faster than having to do a full boot after the Idle Timeout expires

+1

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,239 of 6,262
What do you mean? I am pretty sure this does not mean that you cannot use it and you need to recharge it when the battery is below 40%.

Mine is on the way from Music Tech, I'm pretty sure I have to sign for it from what I've heard about MT, so I'm going to stalk the post lady and make sure I get it! Because I know she won't get her last ass out of the truck, and will just put a notice in the box unless I come out to her.

Luckily I work from home :wink:

Oh and about the battery, of course you can use it below 40% ! The x5 3 battery loses lots of charge when it's in standby- I mean it can go from 100% to 75% overnight. I loved the deep sleep of the opus 1, and the x3 2nd gen. I hope cayin implements that.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #1,241 of 6,262
So is there any way to ensure I am getting bit perfect output to my mojo? I am using a straight usb-c to usb-micro cable. And while volume control is totally on the mojo, I am not entirely sure I am getting bit perfect output since I seem to be able to change the equalizer setting and hear an audible difference. Is bit perfect output possible? And while I find the audio quality quite good, I would just hope to minimize any extra processing and let the mojo do all the work when I am using it.

Also still having weird issues with the physical next track button. Doesnt always register the press. The button audibly clicks, but it does not always register. Seems if I press at an angle or harder it works better. Do I need to be worried about this? Kind of concerning since this unit is only a couple days old.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #1,243 of 6,262
Well I need to give mine a good test. It's dropping about 8-9% every 2 hours just sitting powered on idle. Don't know how much of that is battery being burned up vs. just displayed funny by the OS.

Sounds like you don't have idle shutdown turned on, so the amp is powered on abd draining your battery. Maybe she idle shutdown is on.

@Andykong
: A suggestion for the next firmware - a "deep sleep" mode where the player can rapidly resume to where it left off, similar to Hibernate on desktop computers, but allows the player to resume faster than having to do a full boot after the Idle Timeout expires

Amen, brother! Andykong?

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #1,245 of 6,262
I am still hanging around at LA after the CanJam SoCal discussing some new cooperation opportunity for Cayin, Looks like Cayin will exhibit at the Los Angeles Audio Show dated 2-4 June, We'll might have "some" new products showcase at this event. so please stay tune for that.

Another good news is directly related to N3: Headfonia has published a full review on N3 DAP.

Lieven said "N3 sounds great and it really is a killer DAP for an excellent price", and the "Cayin N3 for sure is the recommended buy in the sub $150USD category." If you want to find out how did Lieven arrived at this conclusion for N3, please check out the review for full details.

Ultrainferno, I salute to your hard work within such a short period after your business trip. :beerchug:

My online productivity is kind of significantly reduced because I won't be able to get online until I am back to my hotel at late evening. I shall resume my regular operation by mid. next week. The momentum of the N3 thread and the quality of discussion here is truly amazing, lets see if the N3 thread will hit 100 pages by that time.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back