Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 31, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #781 of 6,262
I have to do a more thorough testing, but I did not find a whole lot of improvement in the SQ when I used the N3 as a USB DAC with my Windows Laptop. The SQ is not much better than the SQ on my HTC phone that doesn't have the good DAC. Maybe, it needs a burn-in period as others have suggested. The music files that I tested are not lossless but are either 320 or 256 kbps mp3s. I haven't tested the SQ of the player itself. I am waiting for my new micro SD card which I will be receiving today. 

However, there were no problems downloading the drivers and connecting it to my laptop.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #782 of 6,262
  I feel bad that I bought a black one now...naw I like the black.
etysmile.gif

Dang it, now I can't remember if I chose the blue or the black
blink.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #783 of 6,262
I have to do a more thorough testing, but I did not find a whole lot of improvement in the SQ when I used the N3 as a USB DAC with my Windows Laptop. The SQ is not much better than the SQ on my HTC phone that doesn't have the good DAC. Maybe, it needs a burn-in period as others have suggested. The music files that I tested are not lossless but are either 320 or 256 kbps mp3s. I haven't tested the SQ of the player itself. I am waiting for my new micro SD card which I will be receiving today. 

However, there were no problems downloading the drivers and connecting it to my laptop.

I think it does need some running in. I didn't honestly think that a "solid state" device would need a run in period, but I have heard a huge improvement in soundstage, separation and clarity after a few days usage.

As a USB DAC I find the N3 capable, but it sounds better as a stand alone dap. Not sure how that works but hey, it still sounds better than the built in laptop soundcard!

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #784 of 6,262
I think it does need some running in. I didn't honestly think that a "solid state" device would need a run in period, but I have heard a huge improvement in soundstage, separation and clarity after a few days usage.

As a USB DAC I find the N3 capable, but it sounds better as a stand alone dap. Not sure how that works but hey, it still sounds better than the built in laptop soundcard!

Yes, it sounds better than my ThinkPad's sound card, which I think has a pretty awful DAC. I guess I was hoping for a bigger improvement in SQ. But yeah, I will wait for the burn-in and I'm also eagerly waiting to hear directly from the player itself.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #785 of 6,262
  Yes, it sounds better than my ThinkPad's sound card, which I think has a pretty awful DAC. I guess I was hoping for a bigger improvement in SQ. But yeah, I will wait for the burn-in and I'm also eagerly waiting to hear directly from the player itself.

Thinkpad's don't really have a "DAC" per-se in them. The Realtek audio chipset used in most laptops is a noisy, crappy excuse for a high-resolution capable sound device. It gets most people what they are expecting - sound. Yes, it can handle 24-bit, 192K files, but not anywhere close to a good way. Just because it can do it, doesn't mean it's done right. 

There's more to just the DAC to hear differences. You have to have good quality source material and headphones/IEMs that are capable of reproducing the details. 

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #787 of 6,262
I have about 250 pound to spend on a dap. Is the N3 my best bang for my buck at 150 pound?Am I right in thinking there doesnt seem to be much better till the 350 pound mark? Not sure I like that blue much though.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #788 of 6,262
  I have about 250 pound to spend on a dap. Is the N3 my best bang for my buck at 150 pound?Am I right in thinking there doesnt seem to be much better till the 350 pound mark? Not sure I like that blue much though.

get the black then

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #789 of 6,262

I had to convert the currency but I's say yes the N3 is your best bet. I have it and the Fiio X1ii and the N3 does everything better than the X1ii...the audio might be pretty close but UI is better, bluetooth is way better...it's alot like the X1ii just done better.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #793 of 6,262
How can I delete the folder, not the song only?

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #794 of 6,262
Never mind. I got it.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #795 of 6,262

Seriously?
confused.gif

LOL, I got to thinking after seeing everyone who's received theirs that I have a tracking number and sure enough it said delivered at 7:32AM so it's been in the Campus mail room and I just grabbed it
biggrin.gif
Looks like I'm gonna be having the N3 Blues (as in my tunes) this weekend
tongue_smile.gif

Woot Woot
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back