Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #2,552 of 6,262
I have tried to connect the N3 to my desktop computer, as usual, today but with all the struggle Win10 doesn't seem to recognize it anymore. Same on the laptop so I don't think is the Windows or the computers but probably has something to do with the latest firmware update. I don't know what to do next to fix this problem. Please help !!!!!

error 2.JPG

error n3.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,553 of 6,262
I have tried to connect the N3 to my desktop computer, as usual, today but with all the struggle Win10 doesn't seem to recognize it anymore. Same on the laptop so I don't think is the Windows or the computers but probably has something to do with the latest firmware update. I don't know what to do next to fix this problem. Please help !!!!!

Switch to Mac? :p

Seriously though have you tried a different cable? And have you tried a different computer? My N3 has a love/hate relationship with my Mac mini but works every time with my MacBook Pro.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,554 of 6,262
inCASE you were wondering

mycase1.jpg

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2,556 of 6,262
Switch to Mac? :p

Seriously though have you tried a different cable? And have you tried a different computer? My N3 has a love/hate relationship with my Mac mini but works every time with my MacBook Pro.
What the hell? I have connected an Anker cable I had (and used only for the N3) and the player works perfectly...can this be possible to NOT work with the original cable provided by Cayin?
And I did try on both my desktop and gaming laptop and I had the same results, the Anker cable worked while the Cayin didn't. That is at least embarrassing for Cayin brand in my opinion.
And speaking about OS, I truly resent Mac and will never use an Apple product. Always Windows or Linux.
Thank you for the cable idea, I would have never imagined it will solve the problem as in this matter it didn't make sense....and still :)

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #2,557 of 6,262
What the hell? I have connected an Anker cable I had (and used only for the N3) and the player works perfectly...can this be possible to NOT work with the original cable provided by Cayin?
And I did try on both my desktop and gaming laptop and I had the same results, the Anker cable worked while the Cayin didn't. That is at least embarrassing for Cayin brand in my opinion.
And speaking about OS, I truly resent Mac and will never use an Apple product. Always Windows or Linux.
Thank you for the cable idea, I would have never imagined it will solve the problem as in this matter it didn't make sense....and still :)
We'll agree to disagree about the Mac, but as far as cables go, you get some real duds, and it's often the cable that goes first. Easily there WORST thing about my Mac experience is actually the proprietary lightning cables I have to use for my iPhone. Apple charges a fortune for "original" cables that wear and tear after a few months, and just about every aftermarket cable I've bought to try save some money has died even sooner. I must be going through a dozen cables over the lifetime of one handset - which is currently about two years. Hoping Apple has some sense and switches to USB-C in the not-too-distant future, although your experience shows that even then, cables will always trip you up...

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2,558 of 6,262

stop making sense.jpg

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,559 of 6,262
We'll agree to disagree about the Mac, but as far as cables go, you get some real duds, and it's often the cable that goes first. Easily there WORST thing about my Mac experience is actually the proprietary lightning cables I have to use for my iPhone. Apple charges a fortune for "original" cables that wear and tear after a few months, and just about every aftermarket cable I've bought to try save some money has died even sooner. I must be going through a dozen cables over the lifetime of one handset - which is currently about two years. Hoping Apple has some sense and switches to USB-C in the not-too-distant future, although your experience shows that even then, cables will always trip you up...
And I was so happy today because my ATh-WS1100is arrived from the US, and eager to test them until the bloody Cayin cable got my head spinning. It could also be the heat outside :), very hot in London today.
That is one of the reasons I resent Apple, their policy regarding compatible cables, hardware, peripherals, and third-party software. Plus the insane prices comparing to Windows computers, I mean MacBook Pro with i5 and 8GB for £1850, is that a joke?
Anyway, I have sent the advancemp3players.co.uk an email with this matter and I expect the cable to be replaced with a functional one this time.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,560 of 6,262

You ever tried a wireless charging case? It ended all of my headaches from tearing up cables. I very rarely use my cable now.

I agree that the cables are built like crap though. They make a lot of money on said cables though, which I believe is the driving factor for 1. the shoddy construction and 2. the fact that apple hasn't built-in wireless charging. They clearly have the technology/patents, because the Apple Watch has it.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,561 of 6,262
That is one of the reasons I resent Apple, their policy regarding compatible cables, hardware, peripherals, and third-party software. Plus the insane prices comparing to Windows computers, I mean MacBook Pro with i5 and 8GB for £1850, is that a joke?

Check out some Louis Rossmann videos on YouTube sometime. Very eye opening.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,562 of 6,262
Hi all head fiers, i am suffering with one issue and that is my N3 os showing the battery pwrcentage correctly when charged. The led glows continously when battery reaches 93%, after that i kept on charging it and it took around 50 minutes to reach from 93 to 100. My best guess is that it os fully charged at 93% but showing it incorrectly. Any fix for this? @Andykong

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #2,563 of 6,262
First post, been lurking for a few weeks.
@Kumar Saurav If the device is not faulty, it's probably just a calibration issue. I have had similar problems in the past with other devices, most recently a new laptop.

My understanding is, to avoid irreparable damage, Li-ion batteries shut down before they are fully discharged at about 10%. What we are trying to achieve, is display the 10% actual battery life as the starting point of 0% on the device.

This is worth a try, it fixed a similar calibration issue for me. Run your N3 battery completely down until it switches itself off. Leave it for a while, switch it on, it may have recovered a little but will switch off again, probably not finishing booting. Leave the unit off, plug in the cable and fully charge it, until the white lines go solid. The unit should now show 100%. The circuitry should remember the 0% and 100% positions and calibrate accordingly.

It's not recommended to run Li-ion completely flat too often. A good quality 2amp charger is recommended and should charge the N3 from 0 - 100% in a couple of hours.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,564 of 6,262
First post, been lurking for a few weeks.
@Kumar Saurav If the device is not faulty, it's probably just a calibration issue. I have had similar problems in the past with other devices, most recently a new laptop.

My understanding is, to avoid irreparable damage, Li-ion batteries shut down before they are fully discharged at about 10%. What we are trying to achieve, is display the 10% actual battery life as the starting point of 0% on the device.

This is worth a try, it fixed a similar calibration issue for me. Run your N3 battery completely down until it switches itself off. Leave it for a while, switch it on, it may have recovered a little but will switch off again, probably not finishing booting. Leave the unit off, plug in the cable and fully charge it, until the white lines go solid. The unit should now show 100%. The circuitry should remember the 0% and 100% positions and calibrate accordingly.

It's not recommended to run Li-ion completely flat too often. A good quality 2amp charger is recommended and should charge the N3 from 0 - 100% in a couple of hours.
Surely gonna try it and will report back.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,565 of 6,262
Check out some Louis Rossmann videos on YouTube sometime. Very eye opening.
Well, I have watched a few videos of Louis Rossman and it made my day after the Cayin cable headache. It felt like I was looking into a mirror and listening to myself. I feel exactly the same about Apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back