Cayin iHA-6 - US Tour and reviews
Aug 12, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #181 of 751
  Looks like i'll have my Cayin stack on Monday. Sold my HDVD800 to get it. It better be worth it.

I will pair it up with HD800S and post some impressions later.

If you're anything like me, you'll enjoy the Cayin stack significantly more than the HDVD800. 

Enjoy!

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #182 of 751

If you're anything like me, you'll enjoy the Cayin stack significantly more than the HDVD800. 

Enjoy!

It's not too bright? That's the only potentially bad thing i've heard about the stack when pairing it with HD800 headphones.

I really enjoyed how the Sennheiser amps handle their headphones. It had great balance and control. 

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #183 of 751
Depends on your perspective I suppose. I don't find it overly bright but then again I think I've finally come to terms with the HD800 after all these years. If I'm not in the mood, no amp short of a very rolled off tube amp can make it tolerable. 

So yes, I suppose it's bright in comparison to some other darker amps, but I don't think it is overly bright if that makes any sense. A lot of people fell in love with the Auralic Taurus plus HD800 and this is essentially the same thing. 

EDIT - forgot to mention, the tube option and filter choices on the DAC can help if you do find it somewhat aggressive. 

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #184 of 751
Depends on your perspective I suppose. I don't find it overly bright but then again I think I've finally come to terms with the HD800 after all these years. If I'm not in the mood, no amp short of a very rolled off tube amp can make it tolerable. 

So yes, I suppose it's bright in comparison to some other darker amps, but I don't think it is overly bright if that makes any sense. A lot of people fell in love with the Auralic Taurus plus HD800 and this is essentially the same thing. 

EDIT - forgot to mention, the tube option and filter choices on the DAC can help if you do find it somewhat aggressive. 

Thanks a lot. I wasn't clear in my last post. The only headphone I'm going to be using with the stack is the HD800S since I sold the original.

Is your view in the pairing any different if we are talking about the S version? I'm certainly looking forward to playing with the versatility of the iDAC and finding my preferred settings.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #185 of 751
Thanks a lot. I wasn't clear in my last post. The only headphone I'm going to be using with the stack is the HD800S since I sold the original.

Is your view in the pairing any different if we are talking about the S version? I'm certainly looking forward to playing with the versatility of the iDAC and finding my preferred settings.

The HD800S is more forgiving then the original HD800, and iDAC-6/iHA-6 combo should work with the HD800S satisfactory. When you receive the Cayin combo, don't jump into conclusion immediately, run it for a few days non-stop, then start to play around with all sorts of system tweaks, I am confident that you'll find the system enjoyable and likeable. :L3000:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #186 of 751
The US tour of the iDAC-6 and iHA-6 combo has kicked started, our first tour reviewer Dillan has received the combo on Sat. afternoon, he'll audition the combo with his LCD4 and new toys acquired recently. This should be a very interesting stop in the US tour. :beerchug:

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #187 of 751
The HD800S is more forgiving then the original HD800, and iDAC-6/iHA-6 combo should work with the HD800S satisfactory. When you receive the Cayin combo, don't jump into conclusion immediately, run it for a few days non-stop, then start to play around with all sorts of system tweaks, I am confident that you'll find the system enjoyable and likeable. :L3000:

Do I have to have my HD800S plugged into the xlr for a few days while playing to burn in the xlr output or can I just as well do it with any output on the cayin?

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #188 of 751
Do I have to have my HD800S plugged into the xlr for a few days while playing to burn in the xlr output or can I just as well do it with any output on the cayin?

You need to attach a headphone to the iHA-6 during the aging (burn-in) process. You don't have to use HD800S for that, any headphone will do but we advice to avoid high sensitivity low impedance headphone as the aging process will be very slow and inefficient.

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #189 of 751
You need to attach a headphone to the iHA-6 during the aging (burn-in) process. You don't have to use HD800S for that, any headphone will do but we advice to avoid high sensitivity low impedance headphone as the aging process will be very slow and inefficient.

Alright. I think i'll just keep my 800S plugged in for a few days while running the stack fully balanced. That should do the trick. Thank you.

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #190 of 751
Hallo.
In my  Cayin iHA-6 socked Headphone (High) "is playing" more guietly than Headphone (Low).
I checked with connect : Ultrasone Edition 5, K812, K701, TH900, LCD 2, LCD 3, K1000.
Is it good?
I supposed, that socked 6,3 mm have : 0 dB i +10 dB.
Best regards 

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #191 of 751
  Hallo.
In my  Cayin iHA-6 socked Headphone (High) "is playing" more guietly than Headphone (Low).
I checked with connect : Ultrasone Edition 5, K812, K701, TH900, LCD 2, LCD 3, K1000.
Is it good?
I supposed, that socked 6,3 mm have : 0 dB i +10 dB.
Best regards 

yes because none of those are high impedance headphones. You should be using the low socket. 

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #193 of 751
  Are you sure, that headphones connects with socked Low, no High, shoud play more aloud?
Have you iHA6 ?

My understanding was that low impedance can on high impedance output socket will not play loud. If your cans are less than 120 ohms you are better of using the low impedance socket which is rated at 10 ohms. 

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #194 of 751

yes because none of those are high impedance headphones. You should be using the low socket. 

Are you sure, that headphones connects with socked Low, no High, shoud play more aloud?
Have you iHA6 ?

I reviewed it.

The low is impedance not low gain. You should be using all of your headphones in the low impedance socket because non of them are high impedance headphones. They should sound like crap through the high impedance jack.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #195 of 751
Have you iHA6 ?

I reviewed it.

The low is impedance not low gain. You should be using all of your headphones in the low impedance socket because non of them are high impedance headphones. They should sound like crap through the high impedance jack.

grizzlybeast is correct, we have a separate Gain control (bottom button on the left side of the screen), switching the High and Low impedance connection will not introduce significant change in output volume.

I suggest you try out different Gain and Current setting on the iHA-6 with each of the headphone you have mentioned. There might be surprised in due course but I can recommend the following setting to start wtih:

Ultrasone Edition 5, K812: Low Current, Low Gain
K701: Low current, High Gain
LCD 2, LCD 3, K1000: High Current, High Gain

I am not familiar with TH900, I believe low gain will work with this headphone alright, but not sure about the effect of Current setting, so you have to try it out in person.

Last but not least, I strongly recommend you to try out the Balanced connections of iHA-6 with LCD2, LCD3 and K1000. These headphones have bundled a 4pin Balanced headphone cables and iHA-6 will handle these headphones better when you go for balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back