Cayin iDAC-6 - Review tour (USA only for now), impressions, discussion
Jun 3, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #241 of 286
Hey Guys, I ran into a driver issue on Windows 10. I installed Cayin's 4.47.0 driver on my PC but the driver is not detecting the iDac-6 over USB. My PC does recognize the iDAC as Tidal app can play through it.

Can anyone be kind enough to help me troubleshoot the issue ?
Tidal can play through it? Then it is recognised right? Have you checked out the sound control panel?
Any screenshots?

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #242 of 286
Yes. The device is recognised by the PC. Tidal can play through it in exclusive mode. Only issue is the Cayin driver shows no device connected.

Also, for some reason, if I keep Foobar Output to "DS: Cayin iDAC-6", I get a unknown error and playback stops but using Wasapi (shared) there is playback.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #243 of 286
I had the same issue and reported the issue to Cayin around March 6th. They are supposedly working on a fix. I was told the updated driver would be available in April, then in April I was told it was in QA in April and would drop in May. And now it's June. The last time I asked for an update (5/20), they didn't even bother to respond. You might want to send an email to info@cayin.cn and also report the issue. They didn't seem to imply that anything was delayed due to COVID so I'm guessing they are having issues getting the new driver to work.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #247 of 286
Yes, I've sent them emails. I couldn't get older versions to work either. I have a feeling the issue is with the actual install process where it doesn't work like it used to. I haven't tried it but I'm guessing the current driver still works on my old laptop. I ran into the issue after buying a new pc and trying to install the driver.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #248 of 286
Regarding the tubes for this unit, I notice that the tubes are not regular tubes and they are soldered into the motherboard. What is the lifetime hours of these tubes and how easy will it be to replace them once they burned out.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #249 of 286
If I recall correctly, they are rated at or near 10,000 hours of use. That's quite a lot of listening. In this case I think it's prudent to power down when not in use though, just to help keep that number from climbing so quickly.

Listening for an hour a day on average, would take around 27 years to hit the 10,000 hour mark. 2 hours per day cuts it in half to 13ish years, etc. When they do expire then it would be a matter of contacting Cayin or else find a DIY enthusiast to handle it for you... but I suspect by then there might be some new DAC advancements you would want to take advantage of anyway by finding a new model.

Jun 27, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #251 of 286
Regarding the tubes for this unit, I notice that the tubes are not regular tubes and they are soldered into the motherboard. What is the lifetime hours of these tubes and how easy will it be to replace them once they burned out.

If I recall correctly, they are rated at or near 10,000 hours of use. That's quite a lot of listening. In this case I think it's prudent to power down when not in use though, just to help keep that number from climbing so quickly.

Listening for an hour a day on average, would take around 27 years to hit the 10,000 hour mark. 2 hours per day cuts it in half to 13ish years, etc. When they do expire then it would be a matter of contacting Cayin or else find a DIY enthusiast to handle it for you... but I suspect by then there might be some new DAC advancements you would want to take advantage of anyway by finding a new model.

Thank you @project86 for clarify the recommended operation hours for us. It is correct that the miniature tubes are rated at 10,000 hours of operation. This is because we are using these tubes for buffer stage only, so they are operated at a fairly low current. If we were to use a vacuum tube at output stage, operation current will be much higher and the total operation hours will be shortened.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 27, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #252 of 286
Thank you @project86 for clarify the recommended operation hours for us. It is correct that the miniature tubes are rated at 10,000 hours of operation. This is because we are using these tubes for buffer stage only, so they are operated at a fairly low current. If we were to use a vacuum tube at output stage, operation current will be much higher and the total operation hours will be shortened.
Oh so the tubes are buffer. Thanks for explanation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back