Cayin iDAC-6 - Review tour (USA only for now), impressions, discussion
Aug 17, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #212 of 286
26473B2E-FD72-42A6-9B89-E255E46D1D12.jpeg
Bit the bullet and bought a iDAC-6 mk2 to replace an older Schiit Modi 2 in my primary setup. Less than 24hrs on it so far, but the improvement in clarity, dynamics and transparency are significant. I don’t have “Golden Ears” but can report that the difference between the SS and tube outputs, and between the different available PCM filters, make this piece incredibly flexible. Also of note is the quality of the screen and the fast responding controls.

I have it paired with the matching iHA-6 amp, Focal Clear and Verum One’s, and early indications are that I’m likely to get off the upgrade hamster wheel for a while. Am excited to break it in and become more familiar with its multitude of features and settings.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #213 of 286
Amazing combo and HP, I’ve also Focal
Clear and looking for Cayin combo, but I’d listen them...

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #214 of 286
Bit the bullet and bought a iDAC-6 mk2 to replace an older Schiit Modi 2 in my primary setup. Less than 24hrs on it so far, but the improvement in clarity, dynamics and transparency are significant. I don’t have “Golden Ears” but can report that the difference between the SS and tube outputs, and between the different available PCM filters, make this piece incredibly flexible. Also of note is the quality of the screen and the fast responding controls.

I have it paired with the matching iHA-6 amp, Focal Clear and Verum One’s, and early indications are that I’m likely to get off the upgrade hamster wheel for a while. Am excited to break it in and become more familiar with its multitude of features and settings.
Hi. so your usb source is harddisk directly connected or computer? how are you liking it till now? thank you.

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #215 of 286
I'm streaming from my iMAC iTunes library (ALAC) to a PC through Apple Home Sharing, Icekuma. I have @100hrs of time on it thus far. I haven't detected any sonic differences as a result of this "burn-in" but continue to be impressed by the flexibility and amount of different sound signatures that can be achieved with a variety of headphones through experimentation. For example, my Clears sound best with the iDAC-6mk2 DAC timbre set to "tube" and the iHA-6 amplifier "current" set to low on low gain. However, my ZMF Classics sound much better through the "solid state" timbre setting on the iDAC, and on high/current/gain on the iHA6. All said and done, I'm extremely pleased with the Cayin stack and would recommend to anyone looking to run multiple headphones from a single setup.

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #216 of 286
I'm streaming ..... from a single setup.

Hi @tboneharry thank you for your reply. I am planning to pair it with Gustard H20. My current setup is iMac > Sony WM1-A as DAC > Gustard H20. I use Sony MDR-Z7 and Mrspeaker Ether Clear

While I am happy with the setup, the flexibility to listen without turning on my iMac is the main draw. Thinking of getting Cayin iDAP6 along but retain my Gustard Headphone amp.

Out of interest why you don’t connect iMac directly to sound?

Cheers

Sep 22, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #217 of 286
I'm streaming primarily because my main listening setup is (by design) away from my computer desk, to discourage me from working when I should be relaxing :)

Additionally, my 2019 iMac has a known issue outputting from USB to a DAC, and intermittent dropouts occur frequently enough to ruin the listening experience. As a workaround I use powered spkrs and sub through the iMac's headphone out, and stream iTunes at all my headphone DAC/AMP setups through Apple Home sharing. No loss in quality, and a great use case for all those old apple devices that have outlived their usefulness for anything more taxing.

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #218 of 286
Does anyone have tube microphonics problem, is it possible to replace the tube?

Oct 13, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #221 of 286

I almost snagged a used iDAC-6 on eBay, but noticed that the new iDAC-6 Mk 2 has upgraded the chipset from AK4490 to ES9028Pro, along with the other improvements. Couldn't resist. I'm also using the iHA-6 and Focal Clears and think the tube output sounds best by quite a bit. Doesn't really change the basic tone much, but adds a depth and fullness to the music that I love.

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #222 of 286
Additionally, my 2019 iMac has a known issue outputting from USB to a DAC, and intermittent dropouts occur frequently.

i have the same issue with the usb port of the idac6 mkii too. And spark sounds were found too every 30-60 seconds. I use my windows 10 desktop as source and connect the dac with usb cable. Same issue happens using both tube mode and solid mode. And does not happen with toslink optical connection. I love the sound signature and quality of the dac but the issue really ruins the listening experience.

i seek for the help from the dealer. They replaced mine with another new machine and the problem still occurs. They tried different sources at the shop and still has the same problem once using usb connection.

They then contacted the technical department of Cayin and replied me that the dac is too good and too sensitive to amplify those imperfections noise from the source. And suggested me to use other connections other than usb.

i was so disappointed and i don’t want to use optical since it need to “Dop” the DSD file.

any of you have the same issue with the usb port?

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #223 of 286
I also have this issue with the non mk2 version of idac-6. The spark sounds would then cause some issues to the tube which then cause my tweeter to produce a high pitch hum. I have changed the tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back