Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Nov 29, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #3,556 of 3,742
Ok guys, I have very good news. I just bought the new Sandisk Micro Sd with 400GB storage capacity and it works like a charm with the Cayin i5! (it scans everything on the card and the read speed is AWESOME), which rises the player max storage capacity to a real 400GB! (The Sandisk micro SD actual free space is 366GB). Compared to my Samsung 256Gb microSD the read speed was definitely improved (I have every album tagged with the cover art at 600x600) and every single cover art pops really fast in the albums tab, yet the write speed is still better on the samsung. I can confirm this is excellent news for playback in the Cayin i5 since right now aprox 6000+ lossless tracks could be stored in the device.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #3,557 of 3,742
Yes, we didn't release new firmware since February, but can you describe what are the improvements you are expecting from i5?

i5 is not a perfect DAP, there are outstanding issues but does that equivalent to abandon a product, or the company should not be allowed to develop new products?
I understand your concerns Andy, and It's really good to see you are still around this thread. I'm still using the unit like I did the first month. I'm sincerely very happy with it, but please, if you are ever able to get true gapless support and a few fixes for album sorting working for the i5, I will declare the i5 king of DAP haha! Even if it takes years to make it work.
Best regards,

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #3,558 of 3,742
I think the biggest disappointment is the hardware is incredibly good, especially at the price point, but the software isn't on the level.

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #3,559 of 3,742
Is anybody experiencing issues with Spotify on the i5 recently? In my case, when playing some songs it stops working, I haven't done so many tests to have some statistical significant report, tomorrow I will investigate more accurately.

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #3,560 of 3,742
Ok guys, I have very good news. I just bought the new Sandisk Micro Sd with 400GB storage capacity and it works like a charm with the Cayin i5! (it scans everything on the card and the read speed is AWESOME), which rises the player max storage capacity to a real 400GB! (The Sandisk micro SD actual free space is 366GB). Compared to my Samsung 256Gb microSD the read speed was definitely improved (I have every album tagged with the cover art at 600x600) and every single cover art pops really fast in the albums tab, yet the write speed is still better on the samsung. I can confirm this is excellent news for playback in the Cayin i5 since right now aprox 6000+ lossless tracks could be stored in the device.

This is indeed excellent news, theoretically this is the way i5 is fully compatible with SDXC format, so as long as the new 400GB TF card is SDXC formatted, it should work. However we have seen enough mystical TF/SD card compatibility problems, so we are glad that someone has confirmed this for us.

I understand your concerns Andy, and It's really good to see you are still around this thread. I'm still using the unit like I did the first month. I'm sincerely very happy with it, but please, if you are ever able to get true gapless support and a few fixes for album sorting working for the i5, I will declare the i5 king of DAP haha! Even if it takes years to make it work.
Best regards,

The release of N5ii has confirmed our worry: the HiBy code is correct, the Leadcore MCU is the source of the problem.

If you have followed the N5ii thread, you probably aware that the HiByMusic App used in N5ii is very similar to i5, we have make some cosmetic and layout changes, but the system level code are basically identical. In fact when we displayed N5ii in Hong Kong back in August for the first time, we literally "forced" the i5 firmware into N5ii engineering sample in order to showcase the DAP way before its offical launch, so the software part of the two DAP are very similar.

The trick is, when the customzied HiBy player were migrated to N5ii without any changes or optimization on gapless support, it works flawlessly in N5ii. I can assure you the codes on gapless function are untouched, it just work as it should be in the Rockchip RK3188. If we have changed the code and make it work it the N5ii, it literally cause us nothing to copy and paste the change to i5 firmware, because they are very similar on the music playback part. Unfortunately, no change is need in N5ii, so i5 can't take benefit of the gapless success experience of N5ii.

On the other hand, discussion with Neutron is moving on smoothly, we are about to send an i5 to Neutron so that they can test their codes developed for i5, so this is something we can looking forwards to.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 1, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #3,561 of 3,742
I think the biggest disappointment is the hardware is incredibly good, especially at the price point, but the software isn't on the level.

This is business, even a small DAP will involve something that is beyond or core competence and we need to involve other solution providers. Cayin has tried our best to deliver a hardware solution, but still there are chance that thing will go out of our hands, and when it happens, we just have to admit that even doing our best might not be good enough.

Last edited:

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #3,562 of 3,742
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #3,563 of 3,742

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #3,564 of 3,742
I ordered a Customized Case for Cayin i5 from china on Ebay 21 November 2017
Seller said it will take some days to make then he will ship it to me and it will take 2 weeks
It was shipped out 2 Desember 2017 acording seller, tracking number RG691473653CN show it left China 5 Desember heading to spain.
No update after this, I contacted spain post and they asked me to contact seller they say package have not arrived in spain.
thats strange absolutely no tracking after 5 desember .

Seller say this:
it was shipped out within 7-10 workdays by Registered Airmail as promised. But no 7-10 consecutive days ,because we don't work at weekend.
I contacted Post Office and they don't have update at present. We cannot control it after it left us. I can only tell you that it may be delay during this busy period, and it happens on all buyers from all countries.

It should have updated tracking so i know where parcel is.
I am absolutely not happy with this purchase again problem with Cayin this time leather case.

I hope it arrive soon so i can be happy with it , preferable before christmas.

Dec 21, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #3,565 of 3,742
You ordered a case from a third party seller which is arriving late ...... and you’re blaming Cayin ??? Or am I reading this wrong? You know how silly that sounds - right?

Dec 21, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #3,566 of 3,742
You ordered a case from a third party seller which is arriving late ...... and you’re blaming Cayin ??? Or am I reading this wrong? You know how silly that sounds - right?
Totally silly if you ask me... I hope we got it wrong.

Dec 22, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #3,567 of 3,742
I was wrong it is not official leather case from Cayin
I though only cayin made cases.
I do hope it arrive, atleast they could update the tracking no update since the 5th desember.
Last delivery date today before christmas eve, if not today then it arrive after christmas.

This is the last update from china post 6 desember 已交航空公司运输 (Already delivered by airlines)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3,568 of 3,742
Hello Cayin friends, so close to purchasing the new N5ii as a late Christmas present to myself but there is something so attractive to me about the i5 and that beautiful screen.

Has anybody had a good chance to listen to both or is it early days?

Is the i5 a bad choice to pair with slightly treble rolled IEMs as I am looking to brighten them up a little.

A lot of questions I know. I appreciate any guidance words.

@Andykong Are you still rocking the i5 now the N5ii has come along?

Edit. Also, 18 Ohm BA IEMs, worth a try or hiss city?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #3,569 of 3,742
I ordered a Customized Case for Cayin i5 from china on Ebay 21 November 2017
Seller said it will take some days to make then he will ship it to me and it will take 2 weeks
It was shipped out 2 Desember 2017 acording seller, tracking number RG691473653CN show it left China 5 Desember heading to spain.
No update after this, I contacted spain post and they asked me to contact seller they say package have not arrived in spain.
thats strange absolutely no tracking after 5 desember .

Seller say this:
it was shipped out within 7-10 workdays by Registered Airmail as promised. But no 7-10 consecutive days ,because we don't work at weekend.
I contacted Post Office and they don't have update at present. We cannot control it after it left us. I can only tell you that it may be delay during this busy period, and it happens on all buyers from all countries.

It should have updated tracking so i know where parcel is.
I am absolutely not happy with this purchase again problem with Cayin this time leather case.

I hope it arrive soon so i can be happy with it , preferable before christmas.
Dude, this is not Ebay Resolution Centre!

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #3,570 of 3,742
We wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Special appreciation to every participant and subscriber of this thread for your patient and positive attitude to Cayin and our product.

As a relatively new comers to the HeadFi community, Cayin owns you all a big thank.

We are looking forward to continue the sound journey with you in 2018.

2017 christmas.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back