Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Oct 17, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #3,497 of 3,742
Any news on i5 update? Maybe a little teaser?
No there will not be one unfortunately.

Andy mentioned the ICU support company leadcore pulled out of mobile chip support.

Cayin's engineers need this badly in order to make changes.

Cayin N3 has support because Ingenic Solutions has provided a lot of the code and necessities that are required for Cayin's engineers to provide updates to you all.

As @Andykong mentioned. It takes forever without the ICU support to implement any changes because the hardcoding is all known by the semiconductor support company.

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #3,498 of 3,742
I think i have found what causes the Slowdown (2 minutes) conecting my new Cayin i5 to PC
(It take 1 minute on another pc so is not pc, all my other audio devices and mobiles take 10 seconds to conect to pc)

Conecting Cayin i5 by Mtp it conect 20 seconds but is slow to browse inside music folder
on pc which not happen on other audiodevices

Today cayin i5 disconected by itself while transfering song
move the cable a bit and it conected.

This is the problem, is the Usb cable that Came with Cayin i5
it came like that new in box , Cable can have a bad conector.
I want to get a new Cayin i5 cable, i need it to make my new cayin i5 work good.
I dont have any other cable that work with Cayin i5.

The cable is in bad shape, but work at the moment, everything is slow and the cable is bad.
When can i get a new cable?

Thank you

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #3,499 of 3,742

Andy mentioned the ICU support company leadcore pulled out of mobile chip support.

Cayin N3 has support because Ingenic Solutions has provided a lot of the code and necessities that are required for Cayin's engineers to provide updates to you all.

As @Andykong mentioned. It takes forever without the ICU support to implement any changes because the hardcoding is all known by the semiconductor support company.

One question.
Why does the company not report this officially on their website ?! If they had been officially informed about this, I would have bought the newest FiiO model instead of the unpromising Cayin I5 with a bunch of errors in the HiBy player. Just a disregard for potential customers...

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #3,500 of 3,742

So basically we’re screwed

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #3,502 of 3,742

Thank you very much for the explanation. The sad Leadcore experience lead to a more conservative approach in selecting MCU for our next Android DAP, but apparently that some users didn't approve our decision.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...ty-digital-audio-player.862763/#post-13784820

We'll work with Neutron and hopefully we can get their support and be able to bypass SRC when using Neutron in i5, that should solve a few problems.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 21, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #3,503 of 3,742
One question.
Why does the company not report this officially on their website ?! If they had been officially informed about this, I would have bought the newest FiiO model instead of the unpromising Cayin I5 with a bunch of errors in the HiBy player. Just a disregard for potential customers...

Do you suggest we publish a bug list on our website? Maybe we are a little bit conservative in our approach, but I'll glad to learn from other vendors who has published their bug list as you have suggested.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #3,504 of 3,742
So basically we’re screwed

Yes that's correct. :p

Well screwed hard. Cause if something severe happens. No fix is possible

Yes, if something new coming up that is related to the system level, our hands are tied, that I agreed and admitted.

The i5 had had several firmware upgrades before we get screwed by Leadcore, there are "strange" issues left behinds but we did heard our users and corrected a lot of critical bugs in the first 8 months after the i5 launch. I hope we could do better, but are we the worst or the inconsiderate? Maybe our mistakes is not coming out with a new DAP to replace the i5 quickly so that users will forget about i5 after a while because I do notice this pattern with several brand/models, people are excited about new products and forget about the "historical" model quickly.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,505 of 3,742
Yes that's correct. :p

Well screwed hard. Cause if something severe happens. No fix is possible

Why are we "screwed hard"? If there was "something severe", I think we'd know it by now and it's not like there are going to be any new firmware updates to introduce such severe bugs. No?

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #3,506 of 3,742
Why are we "screwed hard"? If there was "something severe", I think we'd know it by now and it's not like there are going to be any new firmware updates to introduce such severe bugs. No?
Creeepy mentioned in their post above the issues they have with the stock hiby player. No 3rd party app just the included player.

I found cayin i5 laggying really bad on the visualization/EQ options on neutron so I didn't bother using neutron, already at it's limit. But that's not really cayin's fault I guess. So kinda stuck on hiby.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #3,507 of 3,742
Creeepy mentioned in their post above the issues they have with the stock hiby player. No 3rd party app just the included player.

I found cayin i5 laggying really bad on the visualization/EQ options on neutron so I didn't bother using neutron, already at it's limit. But that's not really cayin's fault I guess. So kinda stuck on hiby.

Well, I don't avoid the issue, it is OUR problem because i5 is jointly developed by Cayin and HiBy Music.

201610201540123887.png

http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=87

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #3,508 of 3,742

I'm not having the issues @Creeepy is having, though. Are you?

And regarding third-party apps, none of these DAPs have real smartphone CPU/GPU SoC so none of the third-party apps are properly optimized to run on them. I don't even bother because I've experienced issues with stuttering during playback. IMHO, it's best to stick with the stock Hiby player.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #3,509 of 3,742
Just for ref - I have the i5 with me at the moment, and I'm not experiencing the same issues others are talking about. I've been using both Hiby and also Neutron interface, and its pretty good for an older version of Android. Its also been very stable for my uses, and honestly if its working well, I'm not expecting updates for the sake of updating.

JaeYoon - what exact issues are you having with your i5, and why would you comment about being "screwed hard"? I'm simply not experiencing what you are .......

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #3,510 of 3,742
I guess nobody really really paid attention sigh. Only andykong noticed.

This is not cayins fault!! Again I will repost what I posted from above.

There are some features will not be able to finish such as gapless playback. But there are other daps that cannot do this either.

My god...You guys are acting as if I dislike cayin. I have been discussing via pm since last week with andy about n5ii. I definitely will support that player.

I was only trying to help andykong avoid having to repeat what he said long ago. I guess here on headfi posting potentially negative experience you will be beaten by a mob here too.

Warning to all. If you have any minor issue with cayin. Do not post in this thread and post on reddit or somewhere. Or you will end up like me.
My post above was directed towards smy1's question of why there isn't a new update coming soon! Not a rant!
Screenshot_2017-10-21-05-03-58.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back