Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Sep 23, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3,466 of 3,742
I see, so the noticeable background noise and disturbing condition was referring to listening to i5 without any music playing. Let's said we have a different benchmark and reference for the same term. I personally think think kind of hissing test is meaningless and irrelevant, but users can have their person opinion on their machine. Hope you enjoy your music from here on. :beerchug:

Not exactly. My “method” is proposed to demonstrate the hiss itself. On specific tracks, a. e. classic music, there are gaps or intervals in between the instruments (seconds or fractions of seconds) without music play – and there you can hear the hiss.

Nevertheless, I got your point. As Cayin rep, you seem to have dug into my conclusion that player is not the source of hiss. Other is not so important to you.

It’s about attitude – you can be disturbed by hiss or you can be ok with that. On the other hand, it is obvious you cannnot deny the situation.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #3,467 of 3,742
Sorry for the long delay before we I come back to you.

For the record, we didn't change the direction of volume control in any firmware version. We have tried many combinations but we cannot replicate the problem you have encountered. The most likely answer came from our Structural Engineer who believe that one of the internal components inside the volume knob of your i5 is broken, so this might be a hardware failure issue. I suggest you get in touch with your dealer and seek for their support. Or you can email our after-sale support service@cayin.cn if needed.
Hi Andy and thank you for your reply. Maybe you are right. However, that issue happened the moment I upgraded firmware. Could be coincidence but weird thing is that it works only in reverse order. I know that on my Olympus cameras and lenses you can choose direction of the dials and/or rings, so maybe in my I5 some bug creped in to cause this phenomenon?

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #3,468 of 3,742
Hi Andy and thank you for your reply. Maybe you are right. However, that issue happened the moment I upgraded firmware. Could be coincidence but weird thing is that it works only in reverse order. I know that on my Olympus cameras and lenses you can choose direction of the dials and/or rings, so maybe in my I5 some bug creped in to cause this phenomenon?

According to my Structural Engineer, the i5 volume control is specially design to deliver the kind of heavy, accurate control, in order to achieve that, we have a small mechanism to stop the mechanism to move up and down on one direction only. If this small mechanism failed, your problem will exist.

I can't be 100% sure that this is happening in your i5, scientifically we can only said this is the most likely explanation from engineering point of view, we have to examine the unit to verify our hypothesis. Up till this moment, this is the first complaint of similar nature in i5 history, so we shall remain skeptical in due course.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 1, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #3,469 of 3,742
Boot Up problem with Cayin i5
Turned it off yesterday, today wont turn on
Wont conect to Pc , wont charge from pc (no charging light) Screen not turn on.
1 Month old

Conected with Cowon Wall charger
after 15 minuts it finaly start charging and light up
this is strange but this is not how it should be
if battery was depleated it should charge right away when conected to pc
and charging light should start blinking

Update of what happened:

1. Cayin i5 Turned of yesterday, Today did not turn on
2. conected to Pc made conection sound, Did not conected, charging light
did not light up, screen not light up
3. Conected with Cowon Wall charger , at first charging light not turn on
but screen light up a bit but still black screen
4. After 15 minuts charging light begin blinking
Charging light did not flash when conected to Pc as it should, only with wall charger
5. Was able to turn on Cayin i5 , say battery 5%
6. Now screen is totaly turned on and it is charging
I am able to acess everything on the player, have not tried conect it to pc yet will wait until charged

Update 2:
45 minuts cayin i5 has been charging
it has gone slowly up from 5% to 12% this takes time

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #3,470 of 3,742
Boot Up problem with Cayin i5
Turned it off yesterday, today wont turn on
Wont conect to Pc , wont charge from pc (no charging light) Screen not turn on.
1 Month old

Conected with Cowon Wall charger
after 15 minuts it finaly start charging and light up
this is strange but this is not how it should be
if battery was depleated it should charge right away when conected to pc
and charging light should start blinking

Update of what happened:

1. Cayin i5 Turned of yesterday, Today did not turn on
2. conected to Pc made conection sound, Did not conected, charging light
did not light up, screen not light up
3. Conected with Cowon Wall charger , at first charging light not turn on
but screen light up a bit but still black screen
4. After 15 minuts charging light begin blinking
Charging light did not flash when conected to Pc as it should, only with wall charger
5. Was able to turn on Cayin i5 , say battery 5%
6. Now screen is totaly turned on and it is charging
I am able to acess everything on the player, have not tried conect it to pc yet will wait until charged

Looks like the battery is drained and the protection mode kicked in, the system refused to turn on until the battery has charged back to a safety level. To minimise potential damage to lithium battery, charging will restricted to low current at protection mode, that's why you need to wait for 10-20 minutes (depends on the condition of the battery) before the system is fully activitated.

I have also received 25 email from you at our support email services during the past hour, sorry for unable to respond to you earlier on the Sunday afternoon of our National Day, We are glad that the situation has resolved promptly after all.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #3,471 of 3,742
This is not so good when I conected it to pc, the Charging light should start blinking and it should charge, It Did not charge thats not normal
conected by wall charger took like 10 minuts until charging began and it started blinking
I dont understand why it did not charge before 10 minuts conected to pc, then charging should start right away
that could be an error in the machine.

It is slowly charging now moved up from 5% to 15% in 1 hour

Oh, When conected cayin i5 to charge it , when it did not start charging
the Screen light a bit up like backlight so electricity came to it but very little (but screen still black)
then after 10 minuts it started charging (slow cpu)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #3,472 of 3,742
We shall celebrate the Chinese National Day. Cayin will take a short break from 1-8 October and resume duty on 9th October 2017.

National Day 2017.jpg

To foster a proper customer service culture and avoid abuse of customer service, Cayin will acknowledge all email inquiry or service request within ONE business day, and provide official response within THREE business days.

Thank your very much for your kind attention.

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #3,473 of 3,742
This is not so good when I conected it to pc, the Charging light should start blinking and it should charge, It Did not charge thats not normal
conected by wall charger took like 10 minuts until charging began and it started blinking
I dont understand why it did not charge before 10 minuts conected to pc, then charging should start right away
that could be an error in the machine.

It is slowly charging now moved up from 5% to 15% in 1 hour

Oh, When conected cayin i5 to charge it , when it did not start charging
the Screen light a bit up like backlight so electricity came to it but very little (but screen still black)
then after 10 minuts it started charging (slow cpu)

In case you want to give battery calibration a shot on your i5, here's Andy's post on how to do it:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...-pcm-64-128-dsd.802382/page-221#post-13622670

Seems it has helped a few folks who were facing erratic gauge problems with their batteries.

We shall celebrate the Chinese National Day. Cayin will take a short break from 1-8 October and resume duty on 9th October 2017.

To foster a proper customer service culture and avoid abuse of customer service, Cayin will acknowledge all email inquiry or service request within ONE business day, and provide official response within THREE business days.

Thank your very much for your kind attention.

Happy Holidays Andy and to all at Cayin.

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #3,474 of 3,742
I have now charged Cayin i5 again and it work

Update:
Now i could conect it by MTP as long as i can acess it by pc
and it can play music is ok
but it was sold in a very bad shape that is a pity because cayin i5
has such good potential

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #3,475 of 3,742
I have Compared the Sound to My Cayin i5 to Fioo X5 III
And i am very Surprised Cayin i5 sound louder and better than Fioo X5 III, i even tried with poweramp
The sound on Cayin i5 is louder which i enjoy, i have volume set on 40 on Cayin with my Denon AH-MM400 headphones
applied DB gain both on Cayin and Fiio , And i must just Congratulate Cayin For having Such a Wonderful sound
On Fiio I must set the volume to like 70 to get Equal high sound and is still lightyears away from Cayin sound

Despite All the problem i have I can no other than to recomend Cayin i5 For its sound is Just Awesome
Thanks Cayin for having such a wonderful sound on Cayin i5.
Now if i am able to get louder sound on X5 III without higher the volume then i be happy

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,476 of 3,742
They are different amplification circuits, You can’t compare the two and say one sounds better because you have it louder. As humans we’re conditioned to hear louder as better.

The only way to compare the two is set one at your normal listening level. Then - using test tones and an SPL meter, set the other to the exact same volume level (within 0.1 dB). Then play the exact same track on both and with same headphones, compare. Do not touch the volume on either device when making the comparison.

That is the only way to make a valid and fair comparison.

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #3,478 of 3,742
Hi there
Been happy user of the Cayin i5player for a few months now, I have one problem though if someone could help it would be awesome.
It seems that I cant install JBL Connect from play store. I got the message your device is not compatible with this version. Is there a solution for this? I can use 2 JBL Charge3 only in mono and not in the stereo because of the incompatibility between the player and the app.
Edit:

I have answered to myself, the solution is simple I downloaded app on a smartphone and put them in stereo mode via phone. Luckily the speakers stay in stereo mode even after power on and off and after reconecting them to the Cayin i5.
I`m a happy camper now... :))

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back