Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Aug 9, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #3,331 of 3,742
Can you locate the downloaded file in the internal storage? I want to make sure it goes to the 32G data drive instead of storing as hidden file on the 4G system storage.

For the 1GB data you have donwloaded so far, can you play any songs successfully? It not, can you create a playlist with only 3-4 songs, well within 1GB so you can download that from Google music to the player, and check out whether you play these songs?

Hey there, sorry for delayed response with my findings. I've found that Google Music now stores music in the root directory on devices- no longer where the mp3s can be accessed with a non-rooted device. I was able to find the downloaded playlists on my phone, which has root access. I can't access these songs on the i5 unless I can find a way to root the stock software, which I would be very hesitant to do since it's proprietary Cayin even though Android-based.

2nd: I am able to play the downloaded songs from Google Music on the i5, BUT it's still limited to around 1gb which makes me think it's downloading by default to the incorrect place in internal storage. Not a big deal since I can stream the music on wifi, but would love to be able to download all my playlists to internal storage and use the external SD for my lossless stuff. Just wanted to let you know what I found! Thank you

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #3,332 of 3,742
Hi
Ok anyone tried LCD-2 f with I5?

I am using them together and sounds great, but in thinking about driving them, I was wondering do they really need It?

I mean to any owners who know, is the i5 doing all that can be done (even 90%), or is it way off and adding an amp will be a big step up...i just don't see that happening.

Just don't want to spend money on something that I will have a hard time telling the difference.

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #3,333 of 3,742
i5 has 4+32GB internal memory, the 4GB are designated for System usage, users are not suppose to access them. The 32GB are designated for data, and data include Music, android user files, application files etc etc. Therefore you can pack the 32GB internal storage with music file (only around 29GB available), but if you plan to install third party applications, you might need to set aside some storage space for the Application.

Thank you this is the best answer i got in the whole forum
i highly appreciate it, have a wonderful day

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3,334 of 3,742
Hi everyone. I currently have a Fiio X5iii, and I like it for the most part, but it's a bit on the buggy side, even with the most recent firmware. I do most of my listening on Tidal and Spotify. Has anyone here compared both with the most recent firmware, and advise if the i5 is more or less stable than the X5iii? I know both sound good, so I'm more concerned about whether the i5 provides a better Android user experience. I've used Android phones for years, so I'm familiar with and like Android.

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #3,335 of 3,742
Andykong I in my new device found a defect. When the volume control is rotated, clicks are heard at a specific place. But if you turn the volume knob and press it a little, you can not hear any clicks.
Is this normal at all, in the future the controller will not break down completely? Or can it be better exchanged for another?
I enclose a video to understand what I'm talking about:

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3,336 of 3,742
Andykong I in my new device found a defect. When the volume control is rotated, clicks are heard at a specific place. But if you turn the volume knob and press it a little, you can not hear any clicks.
Is this normal at all, in the future the controller will not break down completely? Or can it be better exchanged for another?
I enclose a video to understand what I'm talking about:

Whoa I definitely don't hear that on my i5 when I rotate the volume wheel really fast.
I would be scared for sure if I heard that.

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #3,337 of 3,742
And the most unfortunate issue about the USB Audio driver is potential compatibility problem with recent MS Windows update. As MS is about to embed their long overdue USB Audio Class 2.0 support into Windows10, they changed their USB Audio Class support from Version 1607 of Windows 10, and causing a lot of existing USB device driver to fail suddenly. We are keeping a close eye to the development and once the dust has settled, we'll revise our USB driver immediately.

I don't really use it as a DAC, but fwiw:

I have laptop that updated to the latest Windows 10 build a few days ago, and when I tried connecting the i5 to it in DAC mode as a test, it goes into DAC mode but windows just reports a device error. Meanwhile, if I do the same with my Shanling M1, Windows immediately detects it as a USB dac using the MS driver and audio output just works. I haven't installed either the Cayin or Shanling drivers on that system before, but I have used some Schiit DACS so those drivers might still be there, will have to have another go later.

I also had a quick go with the i5 on an iMac at work and that works fine as a DAC (actually the sync didn't seem that bad watching a few things on youtube), so the device itself seems fine.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #3,338 of 3,742
Hehe i found picture of Cayin building (first one) and Avic international both in China
which i heard own Cayin
it look cool

H17jpMM.jpg

9ZFAJXD.jpg

B2aYks4.jpg

This is the coolest building i have seen

ojeo0vq.jpg

The second one is the one you have seen before

eqcZ6qG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #3,339 of 3,742
Is it just me, or after upgrading firmware to 2.2, or 2.3b volume wheel rotation has reversed? If I recall correctly, when you roll wheel over towards the back of the player volume goes up, thus following the trend of the on screen slider. Now, after the upgrade wheel does the opposite!? Hah?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #3,342 of 3,742
don't do it! You are going to ride a dead horse! The i5 is dead, it has abandoned. Maybe wait for the N5II then, it will have two card slots and balanced out.
Such a shame. It is still the most gorgeous player in my collection, but boy am I getting annoyed with consistent screw ups with every new firmware upgrade. How on Earth Cowon can upgrade their firmware without screwing up what was Ok but all other manufacturers just can't do it, ie Cayin, FiiO, Ibasso, Opus, Astell & Kern. I know that most of them are sponsors here, frankly I don't care since they don't sponsor me, but sure as hell they do give me a headache with their lack of knowledge in software development.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #3,343 of 3,742
Such a shame. It is still the most gorgeous player in my collection, but boy am I getting annoyed with consistent screw ups with every new firmware upgrade. How on Earth Cowon can upgrade their firmware without screwing up what was Ok but all other manufacturers just can't do it, ie Cayin, FiiO, Ibasso, Opus, Astell & Kern. I know that most of them are sponsors here, frankly I don't care since they don't sponsor me, but sure as hell they do give me a headache with their lack of knowledge in software development.
And I notice that all of them have common denominator, Android.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #3,344 of 3,742
the more funny it becomes when you think that all Chinese DAP makers get their software from HiBy. HiBy has a AndroidApp which works fine, then how come it does not anymore when it is used as stock player on a Android-based DAP?
How could you throw a dedicated music player on the market which cannot cope with gapless and not even can sort your albums alphabetically in the right order? Furthermore it seems some DAP makers are totally do not care about a product anymore once they have released a newer model.

I liked my i5 for the sound and its feel and finishing. But after several months still some basics were not addressed.

Shanling seems an exception. They also get their software from HiBy but I do not have any serious UI matters with the M2s now. Maybe because it is not Android-based?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back