Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
May 26, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #3,226 of 3,742
I tried mp3, FLAC and wav, all crashed my i5 with "no responding" message and then it restarts the player. I use portable wireless drive to stream my music. They are 16bit/44.1, 24/192. None of them works.

May 26, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #3,227 of 3,742
I have tested i5 reading music files on my NAS through DLNA, quite stable in my experience, I was using Synology 4 bay. I was streaming 16/44.1 FLAC or WAV in most of the time.

Can you tell me more information about your network setup? format and resolution of file streaming when the i5 crashed?

I just did a reinstall of 2.2 firmware with 3 wipes. Same thing. No matter what files I play, it shows i5 has stopped and then restart i5 player(software not hardware).

May 26, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #3,228 of 3,742
What features are you looking for? Is there anything specific you looking for.
we need more details.

If you are just after sound, Cayin N5 or N3 is good. N3 is much smaller than both her sisters but she retains most or like 90-95% of their sound signature.
Both N5 and N3 lack android. But N3 has Bluetooth capabilities. N5 has dual SD Slots, Balanced port.

FiioX5III does have dual sd slots, wifi/bluetooth. But still has bugs to iron out but FiiO is still active bringing out FW every month or so.

I think more people can help as well.

Thanks for the reply. Good sound quality and android UI are probably my top requirements. I was looking at the FiiO X5 3rd Gen, I5 and XDP-100R. I will give the Cayin N3 a look.

Also glad to hear that thei I5 is still being worked on, I will put it back on my list.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #3,230 of 3,742
Thank you for all the support from i5 users. This is a warm family after all, and I sincerely hope i5 will bring you closer to your music, that's the chief end of buying a DAP, right?

You can download v2.3Beta from the following link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2hOfIpcK24hNFBhZWp4Zm5Yc2c

Please be reminded once again that once you "upgraded" to V2.3beta, you can't go back to v2.2 firmware again. Make sure you understand this consequence you install the firmware.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 27, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #3,231 of 3,742
I tried mp3, FLAC and wav, all crashed my i5 with "no responding" message and then it restarts the player. I use portable wireless drive to stream my music. They are 16bit/44.1, 24/192. None of them works.

I just did a reinstall of 2.2 firmware with 3 wipes. Same thing. No matter what files I play, it shows i5 has stopped and then restart i5 player(software not hardware).

Sorry, I couldn't figure out your network setting based on what you described. When you said you sue a portable wireless drive to stream your music, do you mean a portable harddisk with wifi ? Is that a set top box type of appliance? Can you take a picture or provide a link for me to check it out?

Other then this wireless drive, have you tried to stream music from other DLNA devices in your network?

Anyone share similar problem on DLNA operation? The i5 DLNA is fairly stable in my experience, my only problem is I can't be too far away from the WiFi router in order to maintain a stable and high speed connection.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 4, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,236 of 3,742
Hi I was hoping to ask if the Tidal Offline issues are already resolved? Need a dap with Tidal and will mostly use offline mode.

Do these really go for below 3000hkd nowadays?

Based on a long amount of testing between multiple DAP's my take ( not a professional reviewer) is as follows:

a) Tidal I think, is the app with most "offline" issues ( pauses, gaps, blips,etc). Streaming issues are mostly due to routers or other set up issues and not the player. With the exception of course of range issues, i5 could use a boost as that is were I find most issues. The WiFi radio seems to be the core issue.
b) Spotify will be matching Tidal pretty soon with full Hi Fi capabilities and we will see if some of the issues are replicated
c) When offline I see an increase of blips when music is store to micro SD. I believe read/write drives the increase.
D) In almost 6 months of playing around I find a lot of blips with music on Tidal , mostly album between 2010 and 2015, that does not mean the album is the issue but when was the data pushed into Tidal servers, I think there is an encoding issue as I can replicate the same thing between DAPS .
E) I can reduce the blips or they just do not seem prevailing if music is on internal memory. I think this has to do with read/write or buffering.

I hope next firmware gives us larger fonts

Jun 4, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #3,237 of 3,742
Hi Andykong . An entire week passed as I use the new\old firmware the 2.3 beta . And all week I have not encountered bugs and errors . Never . The firmware is really really stable . I do not regret that installed it , I on the player only listen to your music from the memory card , I don't interesny streaming service and DLNA. I would like to see next firmware stabilirii the same as a 2.0 (2.3 beta) .

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #3,238 of 3,742
Very interesting and a bit of a headache for retailers if someone buys a new i5 that arrives with firmware 2.2, finds it unstable and returns it when in fact installing firmware 2.0 (beta 2.3) would be a fix. If firmware 2.2 really is bad Cayin needs to get on with making a genuine firmware update available for the i5 beyond this notion of reverting to v2.0 via beta 2.3. In my opinion, anyway.

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #3,240 of 3,742
i5-mx365.jpg

Cayin i5 + iBasso PB3 + Sennheiser MX365

Users who are viewing this thread

Back