1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by nmatheis, Mar 21, 2016.
Tags:
First

Back
201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210
212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221
Next

Last
  1. BartSimpson1976
    yes, the funny thing is that gapless is a problem only with the stock player. Which, funny, is based on the HiBy app which has no problem with gapless when used onan Android phone.

Not sure about further firmwares, but it's obvious that Cayin is not very interested in the i5 anymore. And with the announcement of further DAPs they probably shift their focus to that although the i5 is not even a year on the market.

Last FW is some months old and still missing some very basic issues.

And total radio silence from Cayin in this thread since long time.

If anybody interested: Am looking for a buyer for my i5

2. BrianD19
    So gapless was an issue for you with firmware 2.0? What about 1.8 and can it be rolled back from 2.2?

I hadn't noticed the total silence from Cayin in this thread but I do now. Not good. I had a provlem with the volume control on the i5 I bought previously and went for another one because it sounds so good. I'm not sure what I'll do with this one yet and no idea what to buy if I don't keep it. Maybe a Pioneer XDP-100, but there was an output power issue when I tried one in a shop. Full volume wasn't even loud so it would need an amp, imo. Unless it was faulty.

Gapless playing up is a serious problem with the i5 if there is little expectation of a firmware fix.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. frost15
    Let's not resign so easily guys. I still have faith in a new FW being released.

4. davidcotton
    Gapless was the reason for me not getting one in the main.

With regards to the pioneer, I wonder if it was one with original eu cap firmware on it? Since then it's had at least one firmware update that removes said cap.

5. BrianD19
    David

What did you buy instead?

Note: It was actually the more recent Pioneer XDP-300 I heard, I'm told the 100 is much the same regards the volume.

Thanks

Brian

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  6. davidcotton
    Hi
    Went from an semi decent ipod touch 3rd gen (ditched because the headphone socket was faulty and would default at the drop of a hat to maximum volume, which with in ears at least wasn't fun!) to a sony a35. This ticks nearly all the boxes. Small size, decent battery life, not bad response time on the screen (particularly with recent firmware updates). One fly in the ointment and that's no podcast/audiobook support, so back to square one. Recently tried the fiio x5III and didn't like that at all. Size was ok but didn't like the volume knob (ooer) or the relatively short battery life of around 9 hours or so (though I understand now that is more android than fiio)so am still on the look out. Drawn to the pioneer (100) but put off by the size. Irony is I would just buy the ipod touch 128 gig and have done with it, but as it has a camera I can't use it at work due to security issues (all cameras banned)so that rules that one out. Looked at Opus bit one but again lack of bookmarking for audiobook/podcasts put me off.

Cayin with a 3rd party app such as poweramp appeals but reports of lag put me off. No idea what it's like now. Plus reports of hiss with sensitive iems such as empire ears (got the Cerberus on the way!) puts me off it as well.

Hope that helps.

7. nmatheis Contributor
    @davidcotton - Something like Cayin N3 or Shanling M2s would be good candidates, since they can be good standalone DAPs + Bluetooth receiver fit your phone. I use them for both. Music from SD card. Audiobooks of testing out new albums from streaming service from phone. Best of both worlds!

8. davidcotton
    As said in above post, phones are banned from secure areas where I work, even in standby mode in the bag. Pretty much instant dismissal if found with one on. All to do with client confidentiality and all that fun stuff. So the search continues (seriously looked at another 3rd gen ipod touch and amp combo, but don't like itunes much and don't like stacking either). Wouldn't think having a bookmark option on mp3 players would be such a big deal, but seems it is unless I'm missing something obvious (which wouldn't be the first time, granted!).

9. Gerryhatrick
    Just started playing with my new i5 - first impressions very positive. BUT with only one sd slot OTG is important to me.

I tried using the supplied usb c - micro usb A adapter to connect a micro USB - USB 3 thumbdrive, but it wasn't recognised.

Should this setup be OK or do I have to buy a USB C - USB 3 dual thumb drive? Reluctant to do this unless I can be sure it would work OTG.

Help and advice appreciated!

10. BartSimpson1976
    Sold mine today. Realized I need something more pocketfriendly. So what now? N3, Pioneer XDP-30R, Onkyo DP1S, Shanling M2s or wait for the Hidizs AP200....

11. BrianD19
    Sadly I sent mine back, I'm really annoyed with this because it sounds excellent but the issue with gapless play is a deal breaker.

I tried the Opus 1 recently but the implemention of the line-out is poor, this is the other real deal breaker for me. Again, very unhappy because it sounds good with earphones.

I have no idea what to buy that will meet my needs. Line out is vital for me as any dap will be used with powered speakers most of the time. Gapless that works should be a given, imo.

12. Railva
    Hei Everyone

I'm new here
    I just want to ask

I just received my Cayin i5
    But it come with chinese language
    Can someone help me with video or instruction how to change it to english
    I really appreciate your help
    Thanks before

13. Gerryhatrick
    I've trawled the forum and can't get a definitive answer:

Please, Andy, Anyone!

Does OTG work on the i5, as it clearly states in the manual.

14. BrianD19
    I'm not sure what OTG is, but if it's about connecting a usb stick to the type c socket and playing music from there, I tried it and it worked. I can't check again as I sent it back.

I used a 128Gb stick connected to the USB Type C socket via an adapter for a fiver from Amazon.
    The adapter is a :
    IBRA 0.15M - Type-C USB 3.1 OTG Cable, USB Type C (USB-C) Male to USB 3.0 Type A Female Adapter OTG Connector Sync Cable 6 inch

15. Gerryhatrick
    Thanks for the reply - that is exactly what I meant by OTG, and that is my problem. Using the adapter supplied with the i5 none of my sticks or micro SD cards are recognised. If you are correct then there must be a problem with the adapter. I will find out in a couple of days as I have ordered a USB C card reader. If that doesn't work mu i5 is going back too.

First

Back
201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210
212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221
Next

Last