Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #256 of 1,936
I don't have the XLR one, but I had iFi iEMatch adapter for my IEMs around.
So, I have plugged into 1/4 output with HD6XX, and OMG!!! It was the first time, since I have got HA-6A, when I had 100% satisfaction without any interruption of hiss and humms. Pure liquid tube magic was flowing to my ears via HD800S and ZMF Auteur too. Small test has been turned into 3 hours listening joy out of this world.
I think, until Cayin will fix the hiss/humm issue. This is the best and cheap solution.

Thank you very much, it's always good to know that iEMatch did what it was designed to do :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #257 of 1,936
Thank you my half asian brother with the same headphone taste and the same watch :)) Yes, I am a full asian headphone enthusiast, if you remember my comment on youtube:)) "HP Battle! Arya vs LCD-X vs HD800S vs Aeolus"
I am still listening HA-6A non stop with adapter. And the joy of the sound, I am getting now, is absolutely amazing, Even, I agree to accept adapters as part of HA-6A equipment.

Big props for adapter link.
Life is much better now.

Regards,
Kim
Hahaha love it. Brothers forever! I remember your setup from the photo great stuff man!

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #258 of 1,936
Aug 13, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #259 of 1,936
Hahaha love it. Brothers forever! I remember your setup from the photo great stuff man!
Hay any news about your repaired unit ?
mine had a problem in shipping , Cayin used a cheap way of transportation and still after 6 weeks in the way and i still didn't receive mine :frowning2:
they keep saying its fixed , will see how things go, i would highly advise getting it from a local distributor , international shipping is a nightmare.
tbh i lost any interest in this amp, probably after receiving it i will sell as soon as possible.

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #260 of 1,936
Hi All Cayin HA-6A lovers.

Finally, I have GOOD NEWS!!!!! to share with you, or at least cheap solution for Hiss solving.
Obviously, it was noticed that low sensitivity headphones Ariya, Fostex T-50, 60 etc with sensitivity 90 dB do much cleaner sound on HA-6A.
Suddenly , I have remembered one video from youtube Resolve Reviews about Cayin iHA-6.
Where he has mentioned about custom made sensitivity reducer ( 06:45 -on video).

Link:

I don't have the XLR one, but I had iFi iEMatch adapter for my IEMs around.
So, I have plugged into 1/4 output with HD6XX, and OMG!!!
It was the first time, since I have got HA-6A, when I had 100% satisfaction without any interruption of hiss and humms.
Pure liquid tube magic was flowing to my ears via HD800S and ZMF Auteur too.
Small test has been turned into 3 hours listening session with joy somewhere out of this world.
I think, until Cayin will fix the hiss/humm issue. This is the best and cheapest solution.
Will try to find on web who can make it as Penta, XLR and 1/4 jack and may be will order as permanent accessories specifically dedicated to HA-6A.
I think Cayin should provide these adapters for free to all HA-6A owners witch serial number has been sold before noise fixing upgrade.
If anyone will find this type of adapters, please post link here.

Yes!!!!!, at this stage I will keep my unit until Relaxasarus and GU1DO will post their feedbacks after repairing.

Regards,
Kim

Photo of iFi iEMatch

this is not a solution , this thing will degrade sound ,, if you have hiss you should contact Cayin , they revised the design

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #261 of 1,936
Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #262 of 1,936
mine had a problem in shipping , Cayin used a cheap way of transportation and still after 6 weeks in the way and i still didn't receive mine :frowning2:
they keep saying its fixed , will see how things go, i would highly advise getting it from a local distributor , international shipping is a nightmare.
Sorry to hear about your shipping fiasco... In the last few months I have spent a small fortune on international shipping every time I bought something from outside the US! At least packages arrived quickly. Granted, you have no control on Cayin's shipping choices...

if you have hiss you should contact Cayin , they revised the design
Did they ever admit changing the design? Any details on WHAT changed?

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #263 of 1,936
this is not a solution , this thing will degrade sound ,, if you have hiss you should contact Cayin , they revised the design
100% agree that it is not a solution. My unit in repair too. Waiting update from cayin.

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #264 of 1,936
How did you guys contacted cayin for the repair job ?

I mean did you go to them directly ? or through your local dealer ?

can a local dealer/repairman do the change or does it have to be sent back to the factory in china ?

@Andykong It would be nice to have an official statement on what have been revised and how to take advantage of it.

100% agree that it is not a solution. My unit in repair too. Waiting update from cayin.

Yes it is not the perfect solution, but it does the trick for the particular headphones, as a temporary solution. Indeed this resistor network will reduce available power by quite a bit, and will have a fixed output impedance of around 3 ohms, which kinda defeats the purpose of having an impedance matched output switch...

Hell, at that point I think that cayin should make the move and produce the new version internally at the factory, and then make us opt-in for an exchange.... Let's not forget that this is a 2500€ amp.

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #265 of 1,936
How did you guys contacted cayin for the repair job ?

I mean did you go to them directly ? or through your local dealer ?

can a local dealer/repairman do the change or does it have to be sent back to the factory in china ?

@Andykong It would be nice to have an official statement on what have been revised and how to take advantage of it.

Yes it is not the perfect solution, but it does the trick for the particular headphones, as a temporary solution. Indeed this resistor network will reduce available power by quite a bit, and will have a fixed output impedance of around 3 ohms, which kinda defeats the purpose of having an impedance matched output switch...

Hell, at that point I think that cayin should make the move and produce the new version internally at the factory, and then make us opt-in for an exchange.... Let's not forget that this is a 2500€ amp.
Yes. I think it is good idea for Cayin, as there are not too many units sold worldwide.
I think it is some flaw in circuit design or faulty parts.

Have contacted to my local dialler and they are directly contacted to Cayin, keeping me in the loop. Also Andykong have replied my PM here and I have linked him into the loop too.

In the past I have done Fitz mod on Darkvoice 336SE installing 2 small capacitors in parallel bypass at cathode for 6SN7 driver to reduce the humm noise. It works very well. Have done the same mod in my Lafigaro 339 for 6SJ7 driver tubes as well. Thinking later to try it for 12AU7 tubes, may be it will work.

But now, waiting any updates from Cayin regarding to repairmen progress. 4 weeks already have passed. Silence.

Kim

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #266 of 1,936
Hay any news about your repaired unit ?
tbh i lost any interest in this amp, probably after receiving it i will sell as soon as possible.
I sent mine out for repair on May 29. A lot of lip service but still no sign on when the unit will be shipped back to me. I asked for a refund or even a replacement at this point but have been assured it was actually shipped back to my address. Complete cluster

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #267 of 1,936
Actually i just found that they need my signature on document for inquiry to DHL about the shipment they sent a month ago , (btw when i sent it to them i had to pay premium shipping) and now it look like it is lost , they don't want to admit it and make me wait until it pass 30 days from the last tracking update which means till the 18th of August , so i guess i have to wait extra few days before the next action ,

I requested a refund but they refused :triumph: and they offered a discount on future purchase. What..... , if the shipment is lost i hope they accept the refund because really i don't care about this amp any more though i already spent 250$ on tubes.

Here is few details about the shipment tracking
They sent it at 2020-07-06 and the last update on the Tracking# is at 2020-07-18 so i should wait till 18th of august :japanese_goblin:

I wished Cayin match Audio-Gd service which cover shipping both ways the first year and the warranty is 10 years , but what to say :no_mouth:

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #268 of 1,936
Sorry to hear about your shipping fiasco... In the last few months I have spent a small fortune on international shipping every time I bought something from outside the US! At least packages arrived quickly. Granted, you have no control on Cayin's shipping choices...

Did they ever admit changing the design? Any details on WHAT changed?
Actually when i bought the amp from Cayin they charged me 300$ for shipping so it arrived in a really good time but i paid for that shipping
when i shipped it to them for repair i paid around 350$
so 650$ just for shipping cost on my expanse ,,
Now i expected the same level BUT ???

About the changing in the design i dont know what they did but they said in the email when i asked :
We will follow your instruction and let the German repair center sent out the unit. Once tracking number is available we will let you know.

Amplifier will be packed carefully and no scratches on the amplifier. Concerning the amplifier it has been updated to our latest state that noise issue has been solved. All condition are the same as the new ones out of our factory for the schematics. Please kindly note.

Best regards,
John

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #269 of 1,936
Actually i just found that they need my signature on document for inquiry to DHL about the shipment they sent a month ago , (btw when i sent it to them i had to pay premium shipping) and now it look like it is lost , they don't want to admit it and make me wait until it pass 30 days from the last tracking update which means till the 18th of August , so i guess i have to wait extra few days before the next action ,

I requested a refund but they refused :triumph: and they offered a discount on future purchase. What..... , if the shipment is lost i hope they accept the refund because really i don't care about this amp any more though i already spent 250$ on tubes.

Here is few details about the shipment tracking
They sent it at 2020-07-06 and the last update on the Tracking# is at 2020-07-18 so i should wait till 18th of august :japanese_goblin:

I wished Cayin match Audio-Gd service which cover shipping both ways the first year and the warranty is 10 years , but what to say :no_mouth:
Sorry to hear the trouble you are going through. Seems like it is bad luck. Any way if the shipment is lost it should be fully refunded by the sending side.
In my situation the same: I have already spent 1500$ for tubes (GEC KT88 and Markoni KT 88 -Total 4 tubes) few 12AU7 tubes and don't have amplifier on hand.
But will not give up as from my 10 years search for end game headphone amplifier it is the best sounding unit I had. (Second will be Felix Euforia - IMHO the best match for Focal headphones). But for Sennheiser series - Cayin HA-6A is my end game choice. WA22 is not bad, but too old in design. WA33 is above my budget.
So, I agree to go through all this trouble if the result at the end will be pure sound of KT88 without any hiss/humm.

Regards,
Kim

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #270 of 1,936
Sorry to hear the trouble you are going through. Seems like it is bad luck. Any way if the shipment is lost it should be fully refunded by the sending side.
In my situation the same: I have already spent 1500$ for tubes (GEC KT88 and Markoni KT 88 -Total 4 tubes) few 12AU7 tubes and don't have amplifier on hand.
But will not give up as from my 10 years search for end game headphone amplifier it is the best sounding unit I had. (Second will be Felix Euforia - IMHO the best match for Focal headphones). But for Sennheiser series - Cayin HA-6A is my end game choice. WA22 is not bad, but too old in design. WA33 is above my budget.
So, I agree to go through all this trouble if the result at the end will be pure sound of KT88 without any hiss/humm.

Regards,
Kim
I dont know about the sound , i wasnt impressed when i got it , but tbh i didnt roll tubes or did a full burn in so its not fair to say it because i didnt use it enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back