Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Aug 16, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #811 of 1,936
In my case noise/hiss happened to me when I use PC as a source when I use streamer noise/hiss disappear but not sure about your case.
I haven't tried with different sources other than my pc> bifrost 2 > cayin HA-6A. But with my other headphones the noise wasn't that bad at all until I tried it with a zmf verite.

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #812 of 1,936
I haven't tried with different sources other than my pc> bifrost 2 > cayin HA-6A. But with my other headphones the noise wasn't that bad at all until I tried it with a zmf verite.

What is the impedance setting? Mid or Low with other headphones but High with Verite?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 16, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #813 of 1,936
I mostly used my Diana v2 when I still had it on med settings with no background hiss and hum currently I am using my verite on high settings I notice there’s less background noise on med settings but not by much

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #814 of 1,936
I mostly used my Diana v2 when I still had it on med settings with no background hiss and hum currently I am using my verite on high settings I notice there’s less background noise on med settings but not by much

You are connecting Verite to HA6A is XLR4/4.4mm? Do you happen to have a 6.35mm cable to try Vertis in single-ended?

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #815 of 1,936
I have tried with all xlr, 4.4mm and 6.3mm all has background noise with the verite.

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #816 of 1,936
I have tried with all xlr, 4.4mm and 6.3mm all has background noise with the verite.

Form what I guess, your sound system has somehow picked up small amount of interference.

The Diana v2 is rated at 91dB sensitivity, and if you driving it with KT88, Ultralinear, Mid Impedance, BAL, the output of HA-6A in this condition is 27.39V.
The Verite is rated at 99dB sensitivity, and if you driving it with KT88, Ultralinear, High Impedance, BAL, the output of HA-6A in this condition is 51.96V.

In other word, you are using a headphone that is 8dB more sensitive, with 1.9x more powerful amplification. That explained why can't hear any noise with Diana v2, but you can hear it with Verite. Even with single-ended 6.35mm, the output (46.48V) is significantly more powerful than Mid impedance significantly.

To solve the problem, you need to eliminate or minimise the interference which is the source of the noise. It can be wireless devices in the same room, or dirty switching power supply or heavy duty appliance in the same power supply circuit (same circuit breaker), unshielded interconnect, ...

For the record, I have used HD800 with HA-6A in many shows and public demo, it doesn't have noticeable noise, and the HD800 is very similar to Verite in both impedance and sensitivity.

1629134550231.png

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #817 of 1,936
Form what I guess, your sound system has somehow picked up small amount of interference.

The Diana v2 is rated at 91dB sensitivity, and if you driving it with KT88, Ultralinear, Mid Impedance, BAL, the output of HA-6A in this condition is 27.39V.
The Verite is rated at 99dB sensitivity, and if you driving it with KT88, Ultralinear, High Impedance, BAL, the output of HA-6A in this condition is 51.96V.

In other word, you are using a headphone that is 8dB more sensitive, with 1.9x more powerful amplification. That explained why can't hear any noise with Diana v2, but you can hear it with Verite. Even with single-ended 6.35mm, the output (46.48V) is significantly more powerful than Mid impedance significantly.

To solve the problem, you need to eliminate or minimise the interference which is the source of the noise. It can be wireless devices in the same room, or dirty switching power supply or heavy duty appliance in the same power supply circuit (same circuit breaker), unshielded interconnect, ...

For the record, I have used HD800 with HA-6A in many shows and public demo, it doesn't have noticeable noise, and the HD800 is very similar to Verite in both impedance and sensitivity.

1629134550231.png
Thanks for the useful information, I would have to figure out where the source of the noise by eliminating them one by one. It will probably take some time lol

Aug 20, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #818 of 1,936
Hey guys,

I've just picked up a used ha-6a, and the sound is incredible. I'm driving a pair of ZMF VCs, and previously was using a Schiit Lyr 3. I didn't really think an amp could have that much impact on sound, but wow. It's so much more visceral.

I've got a couple questions, though. Luckily there's almost no noise on the medium impedance setting, but there is on high. Not enough to detract from the music - I can only really hear it between tracks. It sounds more like the typical background hum of tubes, to be honest.

I've read through chunks of this thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for tube rolling that they've found improved the background noise? I saw that the amp is now sold with JJ tubes - are they a big improvement?

Also, one or some of the tubes is incredibly microphonic. To the point where, if I lightly tap my finger nail on the front of the chassis, or even drag my headphone cable along it, you can clearly hear it. There's also some pings and clicks for the first 20mins of use, which sounds a lot like an old radiator warming up (for want of a better description).

I think it's one of the KT88 tubes, but it's difficult to be sure. Has anyone else had a similar amount of microphonics, and if so, what did you change to fix it?

I'm gonna keep reading through the thread in the meantime, but if anyone can shed any light before I get through it I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Aug 20, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #819 of 1,936
I have changed out all of the tubes to testif the static noise will disappear but it's still the same, noise still present with my zmf VO. Using all quality interconnects, usb and even with a power purifier.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #820 of 1,936
I have changed out all of the tubes to testif the static noise will disappear but it's still the same, noise still present with my zmf VO. Using all quality interconnects, usb and even with a power purifier.
what is your source equipment?

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #821 of 1,936
Aug 23, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #822 of 1,936
Aug 23, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #823 of 1,936
have you tried plug the amp from a cd player?
Yes I have tried to use my m11 dap via 4.4mm to xlr into the ha6a the noise is still there. It’s a static noise that’s inconsistent and comes and goes sometimes louder sometimes quiet.

Aug 23, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #824 of 1,936
Yes I have tried to use my m11 dap via 4.4mm to xlr into the ha6a the noise is still there. It’s a static noise that’s inconsistent and comes and goes sometimes louder sometimes quiet.
well my last suggestion is to try SE input instead of XLR.... if it still got noise then i'm out of ideas.....
damn i've been monitoring this amp since its announcement and many users had issue with noise which keeping me on the fence on this one as i've been searching for years for a OT tube amp for ZMF cans.....

Aug 23, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #825 of 1,936
well my last suggestion is to try SE input instead of XLR.... if it still got noise then i'm out of ideas.....
damn i've been monitoring this amp since its announcement and many users had issue with noise which keeping me on the fence on this one as i've been searching for years for a OT tube amp for ZMF cans.....
Yea.. I’ve even tried it with nothing plugged into the input and noise is still there. This seem to only happen with my dynamic driver headphones strangely. I previously had a Diana v2 and there wasn’t any static noises using that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back