Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jun 17, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #781 of 1,936
It probably is related to music genre as well. If you listen to a lot of vocal, with only one or two instruments in the background, single-ended connection will offer a more focused presentation, with the singer right in the middle of attention. If you listen to symphony, live jazz band, or more complicated music with multiple instruments, the strength of channel separation will come into play and the balanced connection will work better.

In addition, music that demands transient and control will be better off with balanced connection because of extra current, but if want to have an laid back and easy listening afternoon, use single-ended.

So balanced vs single-ended is more then higher output power. I think its worth getting both 6.35mm and XLR4 (or 4.4mm) cable when you acquire Empyrean.
@Andykong As I was using the single ended connection for the Empyrean, and switching around various modes i.e. UL / TR, and impedance settings, when I'm on UL mode, and flicking the impedance switch to low, there's a moderate high pitched tone coming into the headphone, not loud but moderate tone.

Flicking the impedance to medium the tone stopped completely. Further experimenting, low impedance and TR mode is fine, as with other combinations. Just combination of UL and low impedance seem to have caused this issue. Is this something others experienced as well?

FYI the amp is on EL34 tubes with the switch at the back on EL34 settings as well. Not overly concerned but thought I check as it's interesting.

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #782 of 1,936
@Andykong As I was using the single ended connection for the Empyrean, and switching around various modes i.e. UL / TR, and impedance settings, when I'm on UL mode, and flicking the impedance switch to low, there's a moderate high pitched tone coming into the headphone, not loud but moderate tone.

Flicking the impedance to medium the tone stopped completely. Further experimenting, low impedance and TR mode is fine, as with other combinations. Just combination of UL and low impedance seem to have caused this issue. Is this something others experienced as well?

FYI the amp is on EL34 tubes with the switch at the back on EL34 settings as well. Not overly concerned but thought I check as it's interesting.
I never experienced this, back then when I had my Ha-6a

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #783 of 1,936
Burn in might not be an issue as I got the Empyrean used, probably 2 years old.

I said boomy, but maybe it's just the quantity of bass is a lot more compared to the Susvara setup, where it's tight and lean. I'm enjoying the different presentation to be honest, boomy or not at the end of the day it's just different and I like the variety since I listen anything from classical music, to acoustic jazz to EDMs. I'm beginning to see why some people here have >3 pairs of headphones, hopefully I'll stop at 2.

Listening on the Cayin, my impression so far, when compared to the Susvara, I feel like listening to music on the Susvara is like experiencing a high end deconstructed desert, and it keeps on activating the analytical side of my brain especially when placement of vocals / instruments is so distinct and real and so easily separated. The Meze is just good old plain vanilla chocolate ice cream and reminds me of when I was enjoying music on a consumer headphone before getting into this hobby.
Yeah then it's probably just the amount of bass.

New Empyreans Show a noteable improvement in the first 50h, more than most other Headphones I experienced.
That's why I considered it worth mentioning.
In your case it probably doesn't apply anymore

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #784 of 1,936
Burn in might not be an issue as I got the Empyrean used, probably 2 years old.

I said boomy, but maybe it's just the quantity of bass is a lot more compared to the Susvara setup, where it's tight and lean. I'm enjoying the different presentation to be honest, boomy or not at the end of the day it's just different and I like the variety since I listen anything from classical music, to acoustic jazz to EDMs. I'm beginning to see why some people here have >3 pairs of headphones, hopefully I'll stop at 2.

Listening on the Cayin, my impression so far, when compared to the Susvara, I feel like listening to music on the Susvara is like experiencing a high end deconstructed desert, and it keeps on activating the analytical side of my brain especially when placement of vocals / instruments is so distinct and real and so easily separated. The Meze is just good old plain vanilla chocolate ice cream and reminds me of when I was enjoying music on a consumer headphone before getting into this hobby.
When I listened first to Susvara I felt it was so airy that I was missing the body from the music :).
Could you please explain a bit more in detail what is a "high end deconstructed desert"? I like the expression, but difficult to imagine.
Btw. welcome to the Empy club!

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #785 of 1,936
287683DE-EBB2-4476-97A6-024605A6786C.jpeg

A quick google to get this picture of a deconstructed chocolate hazelnut cake, as opposed to just good ol’ chocolate hazelnut cake. Haha.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #786 of 1,936
It probably is related to music genre as well. If you listen to a lot of vocal, with only one or two instruments in the background, single-ended connection will offer a more focused presentation, with the singer right in the middle of attention. If you listen to symphony, live jazz band, or more complicated music with multiple instruments, the strength of channel separation will come into play and the balanced connection will work better.

In addition, music that demands transient and control will be better off with balanced connection because of extra current, but if want to have an laid back and easy listening afternoon, use single-ended.

So balanced vs single-ended is more then higher output power. I think its worth getting both 6.35mm and XLR4 (or 4.4mm) cable when you acquire Empyrean.
Hi Andy,

So will the input of RCA vs XLR affect the output power of SE & XLR?

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #787 of 1,936
Hi Andy,

So will the input of RCA vs XLR affect the output power of SE & XLR?
RCA or XLR input does not affect the rated output power of HA-6A

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 22, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #788 of 1,936
I just recently purchased a second hand power cable (PS audio AC-5 cable), it's not expensive so thought I do an experiment, and the result is quite a noticeable improvement from the stock power cable. So for those still using the stock cable, might be worth getting an aftermarket one if you haven't yet.

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #789 of 1,936
I’m looking for opinion on the stepped volume control of the HA-6A with Empyrean combination? I’m quite picky on volume adjustment so I usually shy away from stepped but some implementation are ok. Any of you guys can share your thoughts on this combo? Many thanks.

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #791 of 1,936
Can anyone please compare gold Lion KT77 with gold Lion KT88?
The Gold Lion KT88 have better extension on both ends.
Better subbass and air up top.

The Gold Lion KT77 have the sweeter midrange in return.

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #793 of 1,936

I had a similar issue to this on my HA 6A. Had a similar high pitched tone on my verite closed headphones. It was slightly better on single ended and using a preamp before the HA 6A. I figured it was an impedance matching issue. I ended up getting an impedance adapter made by a friend and no longer have this issue.

Jul 21, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #794 of 1,936
I had a similar issue to this on my HA 6A. Had a similar high pitched tone on my verite closed headphones. It was slightly better on single ended and using a preamp before the HA 6A. I figured it was an impedance matching issue. I ended up getting an impedance adapter made by a friend and no longer have this issue.
Hi, one thing that quickly resolves it as well is just changing to other EL34 tubes. I was using Shuguang 6ca7z, and it seems to be the only tubes that had this issue using low and UL setting. Switching back to stock EL34 and there's no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back