Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #826 of 1,936
Yea.. I’ve even tried it with nothing plugged into the input and noise is still there. This seem to only happen with my dynamic driver headphones strangely. I previously had a Diana v2 and there wasn’t any static noises using that.
what kind of input tubes did you try ?

Sounds like you're having bad luck with noisy tubes...
also try to go single ended out instead of balanced, and low or medium impedance setting.
this will reduce the noise greatly;

balanced will be perfect with no noise with low sensitivity headphones ( like your dianav2) (91db sensitivity )
for example with focals (104db sensitivity ) it is better to use single ended

for the verite at 99db, I would stick to single ended, high or medium impedance, don't worry too much about the setting, juste use the one that does not bother you, there is plenty power on tap, even with the lowest setting....

if there is is still noise, maybe swap the input tube for nos sylvania 6189 or 5814
New production JJ or eh gold are not bad for noise.
I would avoid shuguang or psvane 12au7, I had bad luck with those...

your bifrost 2 shouldn't be a problem, I have it as well, and the usb connection is galvanicly isolated, so it cannot induce ground loop.

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #827 of 1,936
what kind of input tubes did you try ?

Sounds like you're having bad luck with noisy tubes...
also try to go single ended out instead of balanced, and low or medium impedance setting.
this will reduce the noise greatly;

balanced will be perfect with no noise with low sensitivity headphones ( like your dianav2) (91db sensitivity )
for example with focals (104db sensitivity ) it is better to use single ended

for the verite at 99db, I would stick to single ended, high or medium impedance, don't worry too much about the setting, juste use the one that does not bother you, there is plenty power on tap, even with the lowest setting....

if there is is still noise, maybe swap the input tube for nos sylvania 6189 or 5814
New production JJ or eh gold are not bad for noise.
I would avoid shuguang or psvane 12au7, I had bad luck with those...

your bifrost 2 shouldn't be a problem, I have it as well, and the usb connection is galvanicly isolated, so it cannot induce ground loop.
I am currently using nos sylvania 6189 tubes and other than that ive only had the stock ones. I have not tried using this with single ended only balanced I think thats the next thing I am going to try! Thanks!

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #828 of 1,936
Hi all,

Has it been determined that there is no alternative to the 22de4 rectification tubes, which can be used with the Ha-6a?

Im just concerned with how relatively difficult they are to source, when compared to other rectification tubes.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #829 of 1,936
Hi all,

Has it been determined that there is no alternative to the 22de4 rectification tubes, which can be used with the Ha-6a?

Im just concerned with how relatively difficult they are to source, when compared to other rectification tubes.
Long time lurker here, curious about this as well. Seems I am unable to find any info or tubes in the event it needs replacement.

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #830 of 1,936
Hi all,

I was under the impression that 22DE4 is not difficult to acquire, but there aren't any alternate option available so it is difficult to conduct tube rolling.

As mentioned previously, Cayin HA-6A uses two pieces of 22DE4 for power rectification. It is important to know that they are used in two separated, independent power circuit and their main purpose was to provide as much isolation as possible to each other. So please don't treat them as a pair. You can replace only one 22DE4 at a time, and there is no need to look for matched pair.

Rectification tubes convert AC top DC and are not involved in amplification or signal control. In our experience rectification tubes are very long lasting. 10,000+ hours is a common reference point, and we have seen speaker amplifiers with rectification tube that had been used for 10 years and still operative. You can understand more about rectification tube from HERE, HERE and HERE.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 11, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #831 of 1,936
I was under the impression that 22DE4 is not difficult to acquire, but there aren't any alternate option available so it is difficult to conduct tube rolling.

As mentioned previously, Cayin HA-6A uses two pieces of 22DE4 for power rectification. It is important to know that they are used in two separated, independent power circuit and their main purpose was to provide as much isolation as possible to each other. So please don't treat them as a pair. You can replace only one 22DE4 at a time, and there is no need to look for matched pair.

Rectification tubes convert AC top DC and are not involved in amplification or signal control. In our experience rectification tubes are very long lasting. 10,000+ hours is a common reference point, and we have seen speaker amplifiers with rectification tube that had been used for 10 years and still operative. You can understand more about rectification tube from HERE, HERE and HERE.
Actually thr 22DE4 seems to be quite hard to aquire in my country. None of my trusted stores have it and in case of replacement need I'd have to ask Cayin Support directly.

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #832 of 1,936
Actually thr 22DE4 seems to be quite hard to aquire in my country. None of my trusted stores have it and in case of replacement need I'd have to ask Cayin Support directly.

I didn't aware about that, I was only looking at the English speaking locations in the past. I just conduct a search in eBay and located two 22DE4 listing in Continental Europe (HERE and HERE), but you are correct, most 22DE4 listing are US based.

Sep 12, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #833 of 1,936
Are there supply issues for the Cayin HA-6A? I am trying to purchase one locally in China and the dealer told me the company is having difficulty getting parts for this unit? The dealer could not tell me when I could get one.

@Andykong

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #834 of 1,936
Are there supply issues for the Cayin HA-6A? I am trying to purchase one locally in China and the dealer told me the company is having difficulty getting parts for this unit? The dealer could not tell me when I could get one.

@Andykong

You have posted the same message on HA1Amk2 and HA6A thread. I am surprised that you are buying two completely different tube amplifier at the same time.

I am not familiar with the dealer network in China, so please contact our Sales Manger john@cayin.cn, he'll put you in touch with the nearest dealer who carry these amplifiers.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #835 of 1,936
Sep 16, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #837 of 1,936
It is true.
Nowadays, it is very hard to find 22DE4 in NOS NIB condition, but it is still possible. I was searching for this tubes last 6 months all around the world (Canada, Japan, Brazil, Poland, Russia, Australia etc) and I am from New Zealand, where the tube stock is absolutely limited. As result of 6 month search is a picture of my tube collection below.
Everything is possible my friend, do not give up.

Regards,
Kim

20210916_172029.jpg

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #839 of 1,936
I very like verite with cayin HA-6A using 6.3mm unbalanced no any hiss until volume at 3Oclock
1631876924381_copy_600x800.jpg
Is it new, or did you buy it second hand? Also, what tubes are you using?

I bought a used one not long back and managed to reduce the hiss to an expected level for tubes by rolling, but it's still present. Interestingly it doesn't change at all based on volume position.

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #840 of 1,936
Is it new, or did you buy it second hand? Also, what tubes are you using?

I bought a used one not long back and managed to reduce the hiss to an expected level for tubes by rolling, but it's still present. Interestingly it doesn't change at all based on volume position.
Its a new one it come with 12au7 JJ tube. first I got hiss when I use my PC as a source then I try with streamer all hiss disappear with my hifiman he1000se but Verite I hear hiss only volume at 3Oclock or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back