Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Oct 23, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #1,111 of 1,936
A quick question regarding rectifier tubes. It seems that 22DE4 type of tube almost non existent. Are there any equivanet types of tubes that can be used? I have been searching through every tube website and found maybe 2 sets for sale. What are the general consensus about this? KT88/EL34 and 12au7 tubes are abundant but the rectifiers seem rare

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,112 of 1,936
A quick question regarding rectifier tubes. It seems that 22DE4 type of tube almost non existent. Are there any equivanet types of tubes that can be used? I have been searching through every tube website and found maybe 2 sets for sale. What are the general consensus about this? KT88/EL34 and 12au7 tubes are abundant but the rectifiers seem rare
I just got word back from Cayin the other day that 22DE4 is the only option. GE's vintage 22DE4 is a GREAT option though and not very expensive. I was able to get a pair on eBay.

Oct 24, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #1,113 of 1,936
I just got word back from Cayin the other day that 22DE4 is the only option. GE's vintage 22DE4 is a GREAT option though and not very expensive. I was able to get a pair on eBay.
Do they make a sonic difference?

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #1,114 of 1,936
Oct 24, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #1,115 of 1,936
I just got word back from Cayin the other day that 22DE4 is the only option**. GE's vintage 22DE4 is a GREAT option though and not very expensive. I was able to get a pair on eBay.
** 😒 That takes the HA-6A (and HA-300 MK-II) off the list for me.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #1,116 of 1,936
** 😒 That takes the HA-6A (and HA-300 MK-II) off the list for me.
I didn't realize just how difficult it is to find these rectifier tubes. Kt88 and 12au7s are plentiful but the 22de4s are nowhere to be found. Maybe I need to look more but so far, I have yet to see a pair, they are usually in singles

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,117 of 1,936
I didn't realize just how difficult it is to find these rectifier tubes. Kt88 and 12au7s are plentiful but the 22de4s are nowhere to be found. Maybe I need to look more but so far, I have yet to see a pair, they are usually in singles.
• There are many choices of rectifiers in the 5U4G + related categories. Why the 22DE4 is used / the rectification circuit is specified around the 22DE4 is beyond me.
• Granted, I am not an EE. But saddling the HA-6A with an esoteric rectifier - from a product viewpoint - is akin to sporting a ball & chain in a sprint against Carl Lewis….😳

Oct 25, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #1,118 of 1,936
Tis burning in
20221024_211941.jpg

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #1,120 of 1,936
You guys run any ZMF headphones with your HA-6A? I jsut fired up my Auteur classic and so far theres a lot of noise/hiss using the 4 pin xlr out and medium/high impedance settings? Can anyone please shed some light with your experience? Its dead silent on planars.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #1,121 of 1,936
You guys run any ZMF headphones with your HA-6A? I jsut fired up my Auteur classic and so far theres a lot of noise/hiss using the 4 pin xlr out and medium/high impedance settings? Can anyone please shed some light with your experience? Its dead silent on planars.
I run my atrium off of them and on high there's a noticeable tube hum. On medium it's there but not so noticeable. It's more apparent when you aren't playing music, it's not noticeable while playing music

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #1,122 of 1,936
Looking amazing 😁. How do you like them compared to your gsx mini?
Its not really a fair comparison but i will still briefly explain. The gsx mini is fairly close to neutral. So i use it to listen to my headphones without any coloration, being solid state, the gsx mini delivers the signal untouched. Once i get a sense of the sound signature of the headphone, then i introduce my tube amps to the listening. The mini sounds farily neutral to me with great depth and decent soundstage. It leans slightly warm.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #1,123 of 1,936
Yep I have a bit of this - even with what I consider to be high end tubes. Not noticeable at all when playing music - even through very quiet passages.

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #1,124 of 1,936
I used to have quite a noticeable hiss/hum even on M gain on my VO back in my old house and just like you, my planar HEKse ran silent and it annoyed the crap out of me. My PC and router was in close proximity to the amp.

After moving to my new place and changing my setup slightly (my setup is no longer connected to my PC and now uses a streamer or Ipad) plus moving the HA-6A on a dedicated shelf about 2 meters away from my PC. It has all disappeared even on H gain even when no music is playing.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #1,125 of 1,936
I used to have quite a noticeable hiss/hum even on M gain on my VO back in my old house and just like you, my planar HEKse ran silent and it annoyed the crap out of me. My PC and router was in close proximity to the amp.

After moving to my new place and changing my setup slightly (my setup is no longer connected to my PC and now uses a streamer or Ipad) plus moving the HA-6A on a dedicated shelf about 2 meters away from my PC. It has all disappeared even on H gain even when no music is playing.
I may have to give this a shot. The amp is pretty close to my gaming PC but I have everything hooked up to a ddc so any ground loop or dirty signal shouldn't be a problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back