Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jun 3, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #1,621 of 1,937
I recently got Tungsol branded 22DE4 "Japanese" blackplates from a fellow member here (thanks @dpump) and initial impressions were stellar! I feel the blackplates provide tighter bass and extend the highs (not fatiguing) even further than the stock RCA 22DE4. It also quietens the very slightly "background hiss" which gives the music a darker background. Honestly I don't know if I can ever go back to the stock 22DE4. But I would also agree to the notion that the rectifier tube swap has less of an impact in sound compared to the preamp tubes. Nevertheless, it is still a noticeable upgrade.

I also got the SE KT88 and TFK 12au7 (smooth plates) around the same time (thanks @krude for the recommendation) and boy I was in for a treat! The SE KT88 extends the sub-bass even further, extends the treble, and adds speed to the sound (compared to my reissued EL34 Mullard). The TFK brings the detail a bit more while also being warmer compared to the NOS Tungsol 12au7, but to my ears they're both quite similar sounding and I can only notice subtle differences.

Overall it's been a great tube-rolling journey and I can't take my headphones off my ears:L3000: . Time to enjoy the music :beers:
Nice one, TFK ribbed plates give even more detail and top end sparkle if that's what you're after. Also fo ultimate analytical sound TFK EL34 is great ... but it's really analytical (for a tube).

Need to try those Tungsol 22DE4 🙃

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #1,622 of 1,937
Be careful buying Tung-Sol 22DE4 without seeing pictures that confirm they are really Japanese made. You will find Japanese ones from different brands and USA ones from the same brands. You have to see the tube to confirm which version it is. You can't tell just by looking at the box. A visual examination is a must. The true Japanese made black plate 22DE4 has a construction unlike any other 22DE4 I have seen.

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #1,623 of 1,937
Be careful buying Tung-Sol 22DE4 without seeing pictures that confirm they are really Japanese made. You will find Japanese ones from different brands and USA ones from the same brands. You have to see the tube to confirm which version it is. You can't tell just by looking at the box. A visual examination is a must. The true Japanese made black plate 22DE4 has a construction unlike any other 22DE4 I have seen.
Can you post a pic so we know what to look out for please?

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #1,624 of 1,937
Pictures of Japanese grey plate and black plate.

Attachments

• DSC00437.JPG
    DSC00437.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00438.JPG
    DSC00438.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 8, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #1,625 of 1,937
After I let it burn in for a few days and change the outlet. The amp is getting better now. The noises are still there but very minimal. I almost heard nothing. I wanted to returned it first few days. But now I think I will keep it for a while.
Now I want to upgrade all the tubes. Any recommendations ?

Jun 8, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #1,626 of 1,937
After I let it burn in for a few days and change the outlet. The amp is getting better now. The noises are still there but very minimal. I almost heard nothing. I wanted to returned it first few days. But now I think I will keep it for a while.
Now I want to upgrade all the tubes. Any recommendations ?
Plenty on this thread if you use search. It's a great amp, you'll see :>

Jun 8, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #1,627 of 1,937
preamp tubes helped significantly! Stock JJ were so noisy because my computer is very close and next to power conditioner. Moving around the HA-6A amp plug (upgraded power cable) I noticed the scrolling signal noises stopped but still had loud hiss even with 4.4mm. Swapped out to another old 12au7 I had and it got better. Ordered green label baldwins for $45 per zmf recommendation and now I can barely hear the hissing. Hiss is still obvious with xlr but with 4.4mm its almost all gone. You have to really pay attention with ZMF to hear the hiss but with HD800S I really can't tell because it's open back and I prob have other louder sounds in my room. Got some preamp siemens E82CC and SE KT88's after reading some reviews in this thread. Preamp tubes like Telefunken NOS smooth or ribbed you can't go wrong with either. Also look for the tesla E802CC as they are suppose to be very close to the expensive TeleFunken E802CC. Just watch out for fakes! But as far as what ZMF recommended to me which is the GEC KT8C w/ adapters and sylvania green baldwins anyone would say this is a great amp. I just ordered the other set of tubes to rotate monthly or so and also to keep the wear and tear down. I even got a small case with foam to store my tubes thanks to @ThanatosVI for the inspiration! BTW, I have iphone, bluetooth lamp, and mesh wifi all near my HA-6A and even with cage off no noises. Just ittybittytiny hiss with 4.4mm @hung031086 edit** forgot to mention I'm using A26 dac and use the volume attenuator with HA-6A volume staying put at one tick past 12 o'clock most of time unless I'm listening to Jazz / Orchestral.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #1,628 of 1,937
preamp tubes helped significantly! Stock JJ were so noisy because my computer is very close and next to power conditioner. Moving around the HA-6A amp plug (upgraded power cable) I noticed the scrolling signal noises stopped but still had loud hiss even with 4.4mm. Swapped out to another old 12au7 I had and it got better. Ordered green label baldwins for $45 per zmf recommendation and now I can barely hear the hissing. Hiss is still obvious with xlr but with 4.4mm its almost all gone. You have to really pay attention with ZMF to hear the hiss but with HD800S I really can't tell because it's open back and I prob have other louder sounds in my room. Got some preamp siemens E82CC and SE KT88's after reading some reviews in this thread. Preamp tubes like Telefunken NOS smooth or ribbed you can't go wrong with either. Also look for the tesla E802CC as they are suppose to be very close to the expensive TeleFunken E802CC. Just watch out for fakes! But as far as what ZMF recommended to me which is the GEC KT8C w/ adapters and sylvania green baldwins anyone would say this is a great amp. I just ordered the other set of tubes to rotate monthly or so and also to keep the wear and tear down. I even got a small case with foam to store my tubes thanks to @ThanatosVI for the inspiration! BTW, I have iphone, bluetooth lamp, and mesh wifi all near my HA-6A and even with cage off no noises. Just ittybittytiny hiss with 4.4mm @hung031086 edit** forgot to mention I'm using A26 dac and use the volume attenuator with HA-6A volume staying put at one tick past 12 o'clock most of time unless I'm listening to Jazz / Orchestral.
Thanks for advices. Actually I returned it. Not because of noises. I decided to get the Cayin HA-300mk2.

Jun 10, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #1,629 of 1,937
Thanks for advices. Actually I returned it. Not because of noises. I decided to get the Cayin HA-300mk2.
Then treat yourself to some Elrog ER300B

Jun 10, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #1,630 of 1,937
Can you say anything yet as to how the noise is versus the 6A?

Jun 10, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,631 of 1,937
I find the 300MKII to have a little more noise compared to the 6A.

Jun 10, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #1,632 of 1,937
I find the 300MKII to have a little more noise compared to the 6A.
Really? thats dissapointing, I was hoping the MKII model with its stated improvements would be superior in this regard.

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #1,633 of 1,937
Really? thats dissapointing, I was hoping the MKII model with its stated improvements would be superior in this regard.
Not for me but then the 6A I have here is really pretty quiet.

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #1,634 of 1,937
I'm still waiting for the refund so I can get the 300mk2 from them. Actually the noises are much better after I changed the outlet and burned in the amp a bit. I used Ifi Nova and Power Quest 2. They helped a little bit too. It was really quiet with HD800s and almost the same with Diana TC. For ZMF Aeolus, I only heard tiny noises if nothing played. But its different story if I uncaged. It was very loud. I even could hear when music was playing.

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,635 of 1,937
I'm still waiting for the refund so I can get the 300mk2 from them. Actually the noises are much better after I changed the outlet and burned in the amp a bit. I used Ifi Nova and Power Quest 2. They helped a little bit too. It was really quiet with HD800s and almost the same with Diana TC. For ZMF Aeolus, I only heard tiny noises if nothing played. But its different story if I uncaged. It was very loud. I even could hear when music was playing.
So much RF inference flying around now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back