Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Aug 8, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #1,996 of 6,230
Hi all! I am about to pull the trigger on this amp. The one thing holding me back is that I mainly listen to metal and hard rock (Avatar, in flames, five fingers, periphery, polyphia etc etc) and the only review about it says "sub bass" light (ok, slightly). So, I don't want an omnipresent sub bass if the songs doesn't call for it, but I do want to hear that "enveloping" effect of having a good sub bass supporting the song when this is present. E.g. I have both ebony verite open and lcd-x 2021 and, despite the mid bass bump of VO with univ leather pads, I feel the flat but more extended lcd-x is more wrapping me into the music, while VO is more drilling the music in me. So, to those who owns this amp, do you feel you are missing something (let's say compared to what envy seems to be), maybe even as a trade off, or simply this is not a thing at all? Please note that I am not really a tube roller and it would be ok to do a single targeted swap, but not a long expensive search for a certain sound quality. Thanks for any input that will come!
I agree with Thanatos for me for examples experiencing Rammstein , Chesky’s fabulous live recording of Mozart’s Ave Verum too Home Free‘s Tim Foust 5 octave vocal range generally the human pitch I got an immediate sense of the HA-300‘s range into the lower octaves I wasn’t expecting the hard hitting solid state performance of course for me the HA -300 is satisfying in this region . This week I have a Ferrum OOR and Hypsos coming to listen to I am preparing for the purchase of the Susvaras though it will be interesting to listen to the combination of the musicality and deep octave region of my dac with the sole generating and bass slam of the Furrum amplifier using the HEKSE and borrowed Susvaras. Finally I have not rolled out the driver tubes I’m still using all the original factory tubes with my Mk1though someday I will though I don’t feel I’m missing anything so for now I’ll leave good enough alone .

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #1,997 of 6,230

Can't wait to hear your impressions with Elrog 300B. You order the ER300B- Mo ?
I am super pumped to hear them, and I went with the Standard ER 300B. I have been chatting with one of my tube rolling buddies who has the standard Elrog's, and he says they are incredible, so I am really excited to give them a try.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #1,998 of 6,230
I am super pumped to hear them, and I went with the Standard ER 300B. I have been chatting with one of my tube rolling buddies who has the standard Erlog's, and he says they are incredible, so I am really excited to give them a try.
Cool and can you let us know if it reduces the power on your amp please?

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #1,999 of 6,230
Aug 8, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #2,000 of 6,230
I know there are a lot of different opinions about what are considered the best 6SN7s for the HA300, but I wanted to see if there is any pair that is generally considered the golden standard? What's the consensus?

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #2,001 of 6,230
I know there are a lot of different opinions about what are considered the best 6SN7s for the HA300, but I wanted to see if there is any pair that is generally considered the golden standard? What's the consensus?
This, yes this please. I have been trying to come to an answer for a while now. I gave us on NOS threads as there were more opinions than valves and then there seems to be a significant issue over fake versions. So I finally focussed on brand new options and have settled on PSVANE CV181-tii as they seem well regarded and are an upgrade option for some new amps now.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #2,002 of 6,230
Melz 1578, good luck finding originals tho.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #2,003 of 6,230
Melz 1578, good luck finding originals tho.
Thanks. That's the issue, not only is it hard to figure out which tubes are good, but then you also have to figure out what year/variation if they're NOS, and to top it all off you have to know which sellers are legit. It's a real headache...

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #2,004 of 6,230
This, yes this please. I have been trying to come to an answer for a while now. I gave us on NOS threads as there were more opinions than valves and then there seems to be a significant issue over fake versions. So I finally focussed on brand new options and have settled on PSVANE CV181-tii as they seem well regarded and are an upgrade option for some new amps now.

I agree if I cant figure out a way to get good NOS 6SN7s reliably, I might go to new production tubes. I've also heard good things about the PSVANEs, and also I've heard the Linlai Elites are really good too. So, if all else fails, I'll get either of these.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #2,005 of 6,230
I agree if I cant figure out a way to get good NOS 6SN7s reliably, I might go to new production tubes. I've also heard good things about the PSVANEs, and also I've heard the Linlai Elites are really good too. So, if all else fails, I'll get either of these.
Yeah NOS can be a real headache here.
New production doesn't offer much to choose from. As you stated

- PSVane CV181-II
- Linlai Elite
- maybe the new Schiit LISST?
- maybe Sophia Electric bluebottle?

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #2,006 of 6,230
Thanks. That's the issue, not only is it hard to figure out which tubes are good, but then you also have to figure out what year/variation if they're NOS, and to top it all off you have to know which sellers are legit. It's a real headache.
I've got a pair of Melz 6n8s on order. I have a single from the 50s that sounds pretty good in my Crackatwoa; if they work well in the HA-300, that would be a much more available and cheaper option to the disappearing 1578s.
Please let us know if you try the Linlais! I've been eyeing the the low noise version from premiumvacuumtubes.com for awhile, but at $400 ish for a pair I can get a couple NOS pairs for the same price. I might just bite the bullet if the 6n8s don't work out.

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #2,007 of 6,230
This is the answer if you are looking for the best.
20220808_221536.jpg

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #2,008 of 6,230
Back in the late 1980s and 1990s the few sellers that advertised you had to phone of course . NOS preamplifier and phono grade 6sn7s and sot after metal base rectifiers like GZ34 including NOS WE 300B in the box were seemingly plentiful with the hording and spent tubes over the decades much has changed today .

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2,009 of 6,230
This might be a long shot, but has anyone tried 6cg7 tubes? Smaller tubes are SOMETIMES quieter, so I've been wondering if they're a good option for those of use with hum/hiss. Also see above discussions of 6sn7 equivalents drying up/bankrupting the buyer.

The HA-300 doesn't seem to have too many options for rolling.

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #2,010 of 6,230
Back in the late 1980s and 1990s the few sellers that advertised you had to phone of course . NOS preamplifier and phono grade 6sn7s and sot after metal base rectifiers like GZ34 including NOS WE 300B in the box were seemingly plentiful with the hording and spent tubes over the decades much has changed today .
The prices are getting silly now for some NOS valves and consequently valves of "unknown authenticity" are appearing in increasing number as it is worth their while now to make money. That and the uncertainty of what timescale they may last for has me concerned. I know you generally don't get much warranty on brand new valves but generally you are at least a bit protected if they go pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back