Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
May 20, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #992 of 6,222
Just got it delivered today, my entry into the world of tube amp. Any recommendation for newbie?

tube zoo ...

you don't want those aggressive little tubes to break out and wreak havoc...

But seriously, you must have pets/kids or play volley ball in that room.

Respect ...

edit ... my bad .. that's how they are delivered ... makes sense!

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #993 of 6,222
tube zoo ...

you don't want those aggressive little tubes to break out and wreak havoc...

But seriously, you must have pets/kids or play volley ball in that room.

Respect ...

edit ... my bad .. that's how they are delivered ... makes sense!
I do have two kids... But that is also why I put it up at the top of the cupboard, out of reach.

So you're right on two counts..... because it's also delivered in this condition, lol.

May 20, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #994 of 6,222
At least Musictek was helpful enough that when I took it to a local tube amp repair guy here from Westrex, they gave him guidance on what to fix, etc.
IMG_20210517_182149.jpg

I got my ha-300 back! Since I don't have another pair of Psvane Acme 300b tubes, I went back to the TJ full music. Jake From Westrex was very impressed how musical it sounded, and I realized I have the Sylvania 6sn7 3-hole bad boys on there instead of the Sylvania 6sn7w metal base tubes.

I listened to both sets and for the TJ Full music, it does sound better when paired with the bad boys, especially in the midrange.

That being said, I really do miss the fast transient and airiness of the Acme 300b.

But I'm going a different route for 300b. I ordered the reissue Western Electric 300b. I can't wait to get those in my HA-300 amp!

Here's a photo of what was removed and replaced. The orange wire wound resistor was replaced, and surprisingly, Jake said when he talked to a Cayin tech, they told him to remove the Tacmen resistors completely as they're not needed. Strange, huh?

IMG_20210517_192306.jpg

You can see where they are originally located inside the amp, towards the bottom center of this factory photo.

received_219723159574580.jpeg

May 20, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #995 of 6,222
@jambaj0e I am glad there's a happy ending to your saga because a 300b amp sound is special and you get a chance to buy outrageously expensive 300b tubes. :) Do report back on how those WE300b tubes sound when you get them. I did read about Psvane Acme 300b tubes but after your experience I'll skip it. :wink:

As a matter of fact I did think about getting a Cayin HA-300 sometime ago but I procrastinate .... then I got one custom made that is call Destiny. It's taking way too much of my time now for nearly a month.

May 20, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #996 of 6,222
@jambaj0e I am glad there's a happy ending to your saga because a 300b amp sound is special and you get a chance to buy outrageously expensive 300b tubes. :) Do report back on how those WE300b tubes sound when you get them. I did read about Psvane Acme 300b tubes but after your experience I'll skip it. :wink:

As a matter of fact I did think about getting a Cayin HA-300 sometime ago but I procrastinate .... then I got one custom made that is call Destiny. It's taking way too much of my time now for nearly a month.
I still highly recommend the ACME, especially if you can get it from a more reputable dealer (I got mine from China-hifi-Audio.com, and while it was a great deal, I'm a little wary of them: https://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en...p-2143?zenid=eb036ae6c80cc3ce7dc772ad60292230 )

The sound from the ACME 300b is definitely hi-fidelity, audiophile grade sound that's not analytical or cold, but refined, fast, open, has amazing instrumental separation, and sounds just slightly warm. Let's hope the WE300b will blow it away.

I can tell where the TJ Full Music stock sounds a bit slow, congested at times when there's a lot going on in the mids, but they are still fine musical tubes.

Anyone tried the Melz 1578 6sn7 tubes, by the way? I want to try those, as well as the Linlai 6sn7 tubes, too.

May 20, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #997 of 6,222
I still highly recommend the ACME, especially if you can get it from a more reputable dealer (I got mine from China-hifi-Audio.com, and while it was a great deal, I'm a little wary of them: https://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en...p-2143?zenid=eb036ae6c80cc3ce7dc772ad60292230 )

The sound from the ACME 300b is definitely hi-fidelity, audiophile grade sound that's not analytical or cold, but refined, fast, open, has amazing instrumental separation, and sounds just slightly warm. Let's hope the WE300b will blow it away.

I can tell where the TJ Full Music stock sounds a bit slow, congested at times when there's a lot going on in the mids, but they are still fine musical tubes.

Anyone tried the Melz 1578 6sn7 tubes, by the way? I want to try those, as well as the Linlai 6sn7 tubes, too.
I haven't tried them but heard really good things about the Linlai

May 20, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #998 of 6,222
I have only tasted Psvane 300b mesh plates and Genalex Gold Lion PX300. They are at the cheaper end of the town but they sounded great to me and have astonishing glow.

May 20, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #999 of 6,222
I have only tasted Psvane 300b mesh plates and Genalex Gold Lion PX300. They are at the cheaper end of the town but they sounded great to me and have astonishing glow.
How would you compare them to each other?
Are the Gold Lions as good as their KT88 counterparts?

May 20, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,001 of 6,222
How would you compare them to each other?
Are the Gold Lions as good as their KT88 counterparts?
The Psvane mesh plates stood out in the top and bottom end. Gold Lion 300b is great in the mids and bass and smoother.

It’s hard to compare Gold Lion 300b with KT88. They are just living on the different side of town. I have though found current production Gold Lion tubes very good in tonality. I also have their KT77. They are a good 2nd choice after their NOS cousins.

May 20, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #1,002 of 6,222
May 20, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,003 of 6,222
Was it the Acme tube that caused the problem or you can't be sure what it was?
Oh yeah, it was definitely the ACME that caused it. The tube repair guy said there was a defect inside where two things touched that shouldn't and created a short and white flashed. That caused a high voltage into the resistor. Luckily I only had it on for a few seconds before I turned it off and swapped tubes.

The wire-wound resistor that got damaged affected the volume output so I was consistently getting lower volume on the right channel. Now both channels are equal again.

May 20, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #1,004 of 6,222
The Psvane mesh plates stood out in the top and bottom end. Gold Lion 300b is great in the mids and bass and smoother.

It’s hard to compare Gold Lion 300b with KT88. They are just living on the different side of town. I have though found current production Gold Lion tubes very good in tonality. I also have their KT77. They are a good 2nd choice after their NOS cousins.
I really meant only the comparison to the PSVane. Thanks for that.

The comment about the KT88 was about their standing among KT88s.
These reissued Gold lions are amazing KT88s especially for the money and with many tube types people go "NOS or bust"
So what I meant to ask is, if these reissued Gold Lion 300Bs can also keep up with most NOS 300B tubes. Guess I could have phrased it like that from the beginning

Edit: btw I also have a pair of Gold lion kt77s, they are also great

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #1,005 of 6,222
I really meant only the comparison to the PSVane. Thanks for that.

The comment about the KT88 was about their standing among KT88s.
These reissued Gold lions are amazing KT88s especially for the money and with many tube types people go "NOS or bust"
So what I meant to ask is, if these reissued Gold Lion 300Bs can also keep up with most NOS 300B tubes. Guess I could have phrased it like that from the beginning

Edit: btw I also have a pair of Gold lion kt77s, they are also great

The general consensus is that the Gold Lion 300b is considered the best at the $500 mark and below but as usual it's individual preference. The next logical step up would be the KR Audio 300b ... I think. Then the Takatsuki TA-300. :)

With Odyssey coming in July or August, I'll have the chance to test out Gold Lion KT88, Psvane classic KT88 Tii and Shugang KT88 50 years treasures and Svetlana KT88. Maybe GEC KT88 at a later stage. So many tubes to buy and they are all expensive. :)

I agree that the Gold Lion KT77 is a gem for not much money.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back