Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jul 16, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #736 of 6,230
A ha300 with good tubes is dead silent indeed. I have it paired with the yggdrasil DAC, and my hifiman he1000SE headphones. It is the dream setup I've always wanted to have ever since I bought my first tube amp, the shiit valhalla. I received my '63 6sn7 Melz russian tubes last week. I thought the '80 were very good, well the '63 takes what the '80 offers and makes it even better. They truly are the best 6sn7's I've ever heard, they are up there with the sylvania 6sn7w, ecc32 and some others. If someone wanted to get a new pair of 6sn7, I highly recommend the melz. For me its got the perfect midrange. Listening to some albums I've heard many, many times in the past is a brand new experience now. They do NOT sound the same!

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #740 of 6,230
Sylvania and RCA both have this model. There are also quite a few on ebay as they are not expensive.

Have you tried them and found any difference?

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #741 of 6,230
Have you tried them and found any difference?
No, just trying to help out the other chap in his request. I would not expect changing them to make any improvement on the sound quality though as they are power supply rectifiers aren't they? Now having said that I expect a flood of replies saying that's not the case!!!

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #742 of 6,230
No, just trying to help out the other chap in his request. I would not expect changing them to make any improvement on the sound quality though as they are power supply rectifiers aren't they? Now having said that I expect a flood of replies saying that's not the case!!!

Not many of us have tried different 22DE4'S so I don't think that'll happen haha. You can't really be doing any tube rolling with those. You can go with either RCA or Sylvania, as far as I know. I have 4 RCA's but I did order 4 sylvania 22DE4 tubes today. According to the seller, the sylvania's are ''far superior'' he did not comment on the sound but he did say that the sylvania's are more durable. Now is this true? Maybe. Maybe not. As for the sound I will see by myself once I recieve them.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #744 of 6,230
It appears GE and raytheon also made this tube, but they don't seem to be as common as Sylvania / RCA.
I'm not sure where I read it but I believe that Cayin tried a number of 22DE4 before going with the RCA. Maybe Andy knows or can comment? In the meantime yes it would be interesting to know if you do hear any difference with the Sylvanias. Are they NOS by the way?

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #745 of 6,230
I'm not sure where I read it but I believe that Cayin tried a number of 22DE4 before going with the RCA. Maybe Andy knows or can comment? In the meantime yes it would be interesting to know if you do hear any difference with the Sylvanias. Are they NOS by the way?

I remember reading something similar as well. Yes they are NOS from the 60/70 decade it appears.

Jul 23, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #746 of 6,230
Any dac recommendations for the cayin ha-300 ? Square or round sound, delta sigma or r2r

PS. I think I like the stock 6sn7 over these tung sol 6sn7gtb from upsideaudio, which is pretty much I do prefer them, but could the tung sols need burn in ? how long do tubes take to burn in ?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #747 of 6,230
Any dac recommendations for the cayin ha-300 ? Square or round sound, delta sigma or r2r

PS. I think I like the stock 6sn7 over these tung sol 6sn7gtb from upsideaudio which is pretty much I do, but could they need burn in ? how long do tubes take to burn in ?
The choice is very wide but I wouldn't get hung up over the chip. It is all about implementation of the chip which gives the DAC its overall sound. There is of course the Cayin CS100 DAC which has valves in the output stage and should match well.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #748 of 6,230
1597861757886.png

what are the blue arrows ?!?

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #749 of 6,230
1597861757886.png
what are the blue arrows ?!?
I think it is to show you have 3 impedance settings on the amp to match a wide variety of headphones and in order that the headphones are not adversely affected in regard to their frequency response.

Either that or they are an air force display team........

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #750 of 6,230
I think it is to show you have 3 impedance settings on the amp to match a wide variety of headphones and in order that the headphones are not adversely affected in regard to their frequency response.

Either that or they are an air force display team........
LOL I want to believe it's the latter ? is that wrong ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back