Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jul 28, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #346 of 6,230
It depends on what you like. I’m not a fan of Sabre chips. I do have an R2R DAC. Get something that you can listen to and return if you don’t like, if that’s possible.

Don’t get anything yet until the amp and tubes are broken in otherwise you won’t know what’s what.

If you are using a stock power cord, put the money into an aftermarket power cord instead of a power conditioner.

It is sad that it's quite impossible to return stuff in my country if we don't like it. After buying HA-300, I may have enough budget to buy power cords and a small power conditioner ( like AQ Niagara 1000/1200 ) at the end of this year. I'm not in hurry to buy DAC ( probably next year ) since it's seems that DAC technology changes quite quickly ( IMHO ) . Also waiting for amp and tubes to be broken in per your suggestion is a great idea. It might have good synergy with my R-28 after stable. If you have preferred power cord, please recommend. Thank you.

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #347 of 6,230
John, what did you mean about sacrificing the tubes? I do know that I can use ECC 32 tubes with this amp as Andy confirmed that, and it says so in the manual. I was just wondering if the amp can take advantage of these tubes (whatever that means)?

I have not tried these tubes, I saw the post were @Andykong confirmed the use, try them and let us know!

My next target should be DAC and power conditioner. Any recommend for DAC would be welcomed. Still decide between R2R and Dual ES9038PRO.

I have the RME ADI 2 DAC with the HA 300 and like it very much, I have also tried the Geshelli ENOG2 Pro with it also, is sounded good but prefer the RME.

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #348 of 6,230
I have a Massdrop Arist R2R dac comming in September, I am looking forward to seeing how this tech changes the sound characteristics of the HA 300 and the THX 789.

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #349 of 6,230
It is sad that it's quite impossible to return stuff in my country if we don't like it. After buying HA-300, I may have enough budget to buy power cords and a small power conditioner ( like AQ Niagara 1000/1200 ) at the end of this year. I'm not in hurry to buy DAC ( probably next year ) since it's seems that DAC technology changes quite quickly ( IMHO ) . Also waiting for amp and tubes to be broken in per your suggestion is a great idea. It might have good synergy with my R-28 after stable. If you have preferred power cord, please recommend. Thank you.

I’m sure there are a lot of really good power cords out there. I like Shunyata. Definitely buy used if you can. It’s a lot cheaper than new and what could the previous owner have done to it to make it not still being great condition?

BTW, you may find out they love how your system sounds with the existing DAC that you have now and with your new amp. I have bought and sold a lot of equipment over the years and I think that this amp might’ve been a bigger upgrade in sound then when I switched DAC’s.

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #350 of 6,230
The guy is telling you 6SN7 is rated at 450v, while ECC32 is only rated to 300v. So it stands to reason that there is a risk there - if HA-300 runs more than 300v to the 6SN7, that could potentially damage the tubes if you put an ECC32 in there. Make sense? It's not a problem for the higher-rated 6SN7 to handle, but an ECC32 isn't made for those voltages.

This is only theoretical, and it is very possible that Cayin runs below 300v which would make the ECC32 totally fine.

EDIT if Andy told you ECC32 works, then it's pretty much confirmed to be not dangerous.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #351 of 6,230
The guy is telling you 6SN7 is rated at 450v, while ECC32 is only rated to 300v. So it stands to reason that there is a risk there - if HA-300 runs more than 300v to the 6SN7, that could potentially damage the tubes if you put an ECC32 in there. Make sense? It's not a problem for the higher-rated 6SN7 to handle, but an ECC32 isn't made for those voltages.

This is only theoretical, and it is very possible that Cayin runs below 300v which would make the ECC32 totally fine.

EDIT if Andy told you ECC32 works, then it's pretty much confirmed to be not dangerous.

The tube will be fine as well as the amp. Not Only did it and he say it was OK, but the manual does as well. I thought maybe he was trying to say that with the different voltage that maybe I won’t hear the advantage of these Mullard tubes.

The reason why I was thinking in these terms was that when I was looking at different 300
B tubes I read that EML has a 300B XL tube that runs at a higher voltage and a supposedly sounds very good, but if the amp didn’t support it it would be a waste of money.

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #352 of 6,230
I have another question regarding to burn-in. Normally, I burn-in my R-28 overnight with Spotify/Tidal. Since tubes degrade over time, while they are operating, I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to burn-in HA-300 like before. Please advise how to burn-in it properly. Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #353 of 6,230
Is it possible to use this beast as a pre-amp for speakers?

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #355 of 6,230
Is it possible to use this beast as a pre-amp for speakers?

nope... it only has speaker taps and balanced and SE headphone outs... Cayin actually labels it as an integrated amp in itself.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #356 of 6,230
Aug 2, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #357 of 6,230
@project86 I searched for Sony MDR-Z1R impression on this topic and found that you mentioned about its background hiss. I went back to your full review, but did not find comments about Z1R. Could you please provide comments on Z1R? Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #358 of 6,230
Sorry, too many things to cover so I guess I left that one out.

My thoughts on the MDR-Z1R - it's got obvious colorations, but I enjoy them so I don't mind. It doesn't shoot for linear, neutral response, and I'm perfectly fine with that. The HA-300 drives it quite well and really controls the big Sony driver.

*It doesn't accentuate the peaks which bother some people, and in fact makes the whole thing feel slightly smoother, more refined and even handed but without losing that character which I love.

*Treble detail is excellent. These are very resolving headphones with the right chain behind them.

*There's a focus on the lush, beautiful midrange Z1R brings to the table, as well as massive soundstage the likes of which I haven't heard from a sealed can since the classic Sony MDR-R10.

*Bass is superb, well controlled and obviously north of neutral. I love it, but people who think it is overdone should know that the HA-300 doesn't mitigate the impact. They really kick.

*Background is not silent. There's a bit of a hiss, much like you'd hear with sensitive IEMs and powerful DAPs or portable amps - hopefully that means something to you. It isn't crazy loud, but definitely easy to hear during quiet passages. This is one of those things that either bugs you so much you can't stand it, or fades away after a while and you don't really notice. Kind of like vinyl playback with ticks and pops etc. I grew to ignore it over time but I would prefer to have it silent.

Sorry that's about as much as I can say on the topic. Z1R was very enjoyable, but not quite on the top of my list when I think of HA-300 headphone pairings. Obviously tube rolling will change this - I'm just talking stock tubes.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #359 of 6,230

Also recommend Shunyata as others here have. Very musical power treatment, doesn’t lean up the sound. Their NR cables are really spectacular at cleaning up AC line noise and they just recently introduced a Venom NR model which is very affordable compared to other power cables at that performance level. I use Shunyata with my DNA Stratus and my Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #360 of 6,230
For AC cables, I'm quite fond of the Audio Art power1 ePlus. I started with one and liked it so much I now use them for all components in my rig.

I feel that you really get a lot of bang for your buck when using some of the smaller companies like Audio Art. Nothing against Audioquest, Nordost, or Kimber etc but I always feel like I am paying part of their marketing expenses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back