Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Mar 18, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #571 of 6,230
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone can comment on the HA-300 vs the Feliks Euforia I am looking to move up to the next level? Also where you purchased yours in the US? Thanks
I haven't compared them directly but did use a Feliks Euforia to compare my own HD800S to a pair of the dealers Meze Empyreans in a quiet room at their store. The Feliks is very good indeed and for the money is fantastic value. When I went home and tried the same music on my HA300 I preferred it by a good margin to be honest. Have you considered the new Cayin HA6A which I think is priced at about the same as the Feliks?

Mar 18, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #572 of 6,230
I haven't compared them directly but did use a Feliks Euforia to compare my own HD800S to a pair of the dealers Meze Empyreans in a quiet room at their store. The Feliks is very good indeed and for the money is fantastic value. When I went home and tried the same music on my HA300 I preferred it by a good margin to be honest. Have you considered the new Cayin HA6A which I think is priced at about the same as the Feliks?
Yeah I've been eyeing both to be honest but as of now I'm using 4 x KT88 Gold Lion for a Quad setup which sounds awesome.. But I'm interested in the TOTL at the moment which is HA-300, Donald North Amps, or Eddie Current. But I must say the HA-300 best looking..

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #573 of 6,230
Yeah I've been eyeing both to be honest but as of now I'm using 4 x KT88 Gold Lion for a Quad setup which sounds awesome.. But I'm interested in the TOTL at the moment which is HA-300, Donald North Amps, or Eddie Current. But I must say the HA-300 best looking..
Well I'm not in the US so the DNA and EC are almost non existent over here. I guess you should try them out for yourself and as you will be spending a not inconsiderable sum of money. The bonus of the Cayin is that you can also use it to power a pair of speakers (which I do) so that made it an easy choice for me over a lot of other options.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #574 of 6,230
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone can comment on the HA-300 vs the Feliks Euforia I am looking to move up to the next level? Also where you purchased yours in the US? Thanks

I didn't hear the Feliks vs the HA-300, but I did hear the Feliks vs the PrimaLuna Prologue with my LCD-3, and the PrimaLuna is much more dynamic than the Feliks. It also has a much better treble and bass extension, and just a better amp overall.

The PrimaIuna's more comparable to the HA-300, so based on what I heard, I'd put the HA-300 first, then PrimaLuna right below it but not by far, then the Feliks Euforia

Mar 18, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #575 of 6,230

I have listened to all three, the HA-300, DNA Stellaris, and Eddie Current Studio Jr. The HA-300 I think is the most versatile and most musical, with just a bit of warmth and lots of soundstage and enough slam on bass and treble extension. The DNA Stellaris with its 2A3 tubes is a little to clinical to me. I lost a lot of the lusciousness that I like from my Audeze LCD-3. It's clean, but not musical enough. The Eddie Current is very good tubey amp that's a bit on the relaxed side. It's pretty warm, warmer than the HA-300, but I don't think it's as dynamic.

Since I've changed the tubes on my HA-300, it has only gotten better, too. It really is a chameleon, a versatile, sweet sounding dynamic 300b SET tube amp. And aesthetic-wise, it's by far the best looking amp, too. It actually looks like it costs thousands of dollars, while the DNA and Eddie Current, while amazingly well-built, do look slightly more DIY garage.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #576 of 6,230
20200318_140348_HDR.jpg

So I just got my new Psvane ACME 300b for my Cayin HA-300 just a few days after I got the new Psvane CV181-T II. The Acme replaced the JJ Full Music 300b and the CV181 replaced Shuguang WE6SN7. My headphone is the Audeze LCD-3 with source coming from a Windows 10 desktop to iFi Nano iUSB3.0 to Chord Qutest DAC.

I bought it on March 12th from China-hifi-Audio.com and it arrived at my door on March 18th. Pretty amazing, considering all the lockdown that's happening because of Coronavirus.

So first of all to recap, when I only rolled the CV181-T II, from what was already an excellent 300B SET amp in stock form, I immediately gained more body and slam in the bass, smooth treble extension, beautiful vocals, and larger soundstage. There was a beautiful "roundness", a tube sound that's well articulated, but smooth with great energy and musicality.

The stock tube sometimes give a bit of a shoutiness in the mid-treble register of female vocals when belting, but not so with the CV181. Only small complaint I have with it is that sometimes the mid can get a little dense if there's a lot going on, but otherwise, instrument separation is well done.

20200318_150052_HDR.jpg

Today, I rolled the ACME 300b, and what I got was an even bigger soundstage and incredible clarity and resolution. I mean, every single instruments and vocals are very distinct and separation everywhere. It's if everything before was slightly foggy and I never knew that. Like breathing air in the middle of National Park vs the city. All of this seems effortless.

But there is one problem. I feel that the midbass lost some of its weight and fullness. The Bass is a bit leaner but tight and not as slamming either. So my question is this. How will my ACME 300bs sound after 50-100-200 hours of burning? Will I expect more heft in the bass or I'd have to find a different way to add it, like warmer cables (all of my cables are Morrow Audio) or adding the Schiit Loki (which is actually on its way)?

I really hope I can get some of that meaty bass-midbass that I had with the stock JJ Full Music 300b tubes, because everything else so far is perfect!

20200318_140511_HDR.jpg

Here are some closeups of both my new Psvane tubes.

20200318_133940_HDR.jpg

20200318_150038_HDR.jpg

Here's how the Psvane ACME 300b and Psvane CV181-T II look next to the stock tubes.

20200318_150140_HDR.jpg

20200316_174652_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #577 of 6,230
20200318_140348_HDR.jpg

So I just got my new Psvane ACME 300b for my Cayin HA-300 just a few days after I got the new Psvane CV181-T II. The Acme replaced the JJ Full Music 300b and the CV181 replaced Shuguang WE6SN7. My headphone is the Audeze LCD-3 with source coming from a Windows 10 desktop to iFi Nano iUSB3.0 to Chord Qutest DAC.

I bought it on March 12th from China-hifi-Audio.com and it arrived at my door on March 18th. Pretty amazing, considering all the lockdown that's happening because of Coronavirus.

So first of all to recap, when I only rolled the CV181-T II, from what was already an excellent 300B SET amp in stock form, I immediately gained more body and slam in the bass, smooth treble extension, beautiful vocals, and larger soundstage. There was a beautiful "roundness", a tube sound that's well articulated, but smooth with great energy and musicality.

The stock tube sometimes give a bit of a shoutiness in the mid-treble register of female vocals when belting, but not so with the CV181. Only small complaint I have with it is that sometimes the mid can get a little dense if there's a lot going on, but otherwise, instrument separation is well done.

20200318_150052_HDR.jpg

Today, I rolled the ACME 300b, and what I got was an even bigger soundstage and incredible clarity and resolution. I mean, every single instruments and vocals are very distinct and separation everywhere. It's if everything before was slightly foggy and I never knew that. Like breathing air in the middle of National Park vs the city. All of this seems effortless.

But there is one problem. I feel that the midbass lost some of its weight and fullness. The Bass is a bit leaner but tight and not as slamming either. So my question is this. How will my ACME 300bs sound after 50-100-200 hours of burning? Will I expect more heft in the bass or I'd have to find a different way to add it, like warmer cables (all of my cables are Morrow Audio) or adding the Schiit Loki (which is actually on its way)?

I really hope I can get some of that meaty bass-midbass that I had with the stock JJ Full Music 300b tubes, because everything else so far is perfect!

20200318_140511_HDR.jpg

Here are some closeups of both my new Psvane tubes.

20200318_133940_HDR.jpg

20200318_150038_HDR.jpg

Here's how the Psvane ACME 300b and Psvane CV181-T II look next to the stock tubes.

20200318_150140_HDR.jpg

20200316_174652_HDR.jpg
Maybe see how things are after a few days of running in. I read a review recently where the guy reckoned the sound only got better after a couple of hundred hours!

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #579 of 6,230
Maybe see how things are after a few days of running in. I read a review recently where the guy reckoned the sound only got better after a couple of hundred hours!

Actually, after an overnight pink noise burn in, the bass definitely has started to deepen. Mid-bass is starting to get more body as well. I'm getting excited to see how this'll be by next week!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #581 of 6,230
How is the burn in going?
In the meantime here is a picture of the speakers I got (as mentioned above) which seem to be a near perfect match for the HA300 (other 300B DHT amps are available).
hoernig.jpg

It was getting better, then it got worse, but now it's getting better again, lol. Seems like you really have to put in the 200 hours on the Psvane, as people have said elsewhere. I think I'm 80-100 hours in?

Which speakers are those again?

Mar 29, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #582 of 6,230
It was getting better, then it got worse, but now it's getting better again, lol. Seems like you really have to put in the 200 hours on the Psvane, as people have said elsewhere. I think I'm 80-100 hours in?

Which speakers are those again?
Good work and I think I saw the same article. They are the Horning Perikles, but now out of date and replaced with the Horning Aristoteles (which I would not be able to afford!).

Apr 15, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #583 of 6,230
Good work and I think I saw the same article. They are the Horning Perikles, but now out of date and replaced with the Horning Aristoteles (which I would not be able to afford!).

Right now after about 130 hours, they sound fantastic! I had a Schiit Loki for tone control between 50-90 hours, to add a bit more on the bass, but after 100 hours in, man, I don't need that. The bass is just about right, the soundstage is still huge and precise, and now I have more body in the mids and mid-bass without losing the resolution in the treble. Excellent tubes, even more now that I've paired it with matched pair of 1952 Sylvania 6SN7GT 3-hole bad boys

20200405_152445_HDR.jpg

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #584 of 6,230
@Andykong ,one thing about the HA-300's description that I still don't understand is how can it be a "push-pull" amp as described by Cayin when it clearly only has one output tube per channel? I thought you need two output tubes per channel to do push-pull? Yet, the also call it a "Single End Triode (S.E.T.) Class A tube amplifier"

" We have selected 6SN7 to pair with 300B for a push-pull signal amplification. This is a very familiar Class A single-ended amplification design that Cayin has extensive experience with in past 20 years."

"The tube circuit is developed around the 300B DHT (Direct-Heated Triode) tube, aka the Dream tube of audiophile and tube enthusiasts, and we use 6SN7 as the first stage of our push-pull circuit. We believe single-end approach will bring out the charm of the tubes and it is more effective and feasible in high-end tube amplifier as we have minimized the tube matching requirements."

So is the signal sinewave form being handled for the entire 360 degrees of the AC signal cycle like shown below?

1587493155648.png

because I don't see how you can have push-pull without two output tubes like shown below

1587493241958.png

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #585 of 6,230
@Andykong ,one thing about the HA-300's description that I still don't understand is how can it be a "push-pull" amp as described by Cayin when it clearly only has one output tube per channel? I thought you need two output tubes per channel to do push-pull? Yet, the also call it a "Single End Triode (S.E.T.) Class A tube amplifier"

" We have selected 6SN7 to pair with 300B for a push-pull signal amplification. This is a very familiar Class A single-ended amplification design that Cayin has extensive experience with in past 20 years."

"The tube circuit is developed around the 300B DHT (Direct-Heated Triode) tube, aka the Dream tube of audiophile and tube enthusiasts, and we use 6SN7 as the first stage of our push-pull circuit. We believe single-end approach will bring out the charm of the tubes and it is more effective and feasible in high-end tube amplifier as we have minimized the tube matching requirements."

So is the signal sinewave form being handled for the entire 360 degrees of the AC signal cycle like shown below?

because I don't see how you can have push-pull without two output tubes like shown below

Your missing the point that the driver tubes have two triodes inside, to do the push/pull to the 300b, although I haven't looked into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• jyu0
Back