Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Sep 22, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #406 of 6,187
I just ordered the Pendant which will be my first tube amp. I emailed Zach for help but wondering if you have any guidance to offer being you have one? I'm using Verite and Eikon as the main cans for this amp. Will I be able too enjoy my planar's from this setup aswell?

The Pendant has settings for high and low impedance headphones. You should be able to use low impedence Planars with them.

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #408 of 6,187
I just ordered the Pendant which will be my first tube amp. I emailed Zach for help but wondering if you have any guidance to offer being you have one

The ZMF cans have excellent synergy with the Pendant, you are going to love it with your Eikon & Verite. It has plenty of power and a low Z output, so will likely be excellent with your planars as well.

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #410 of 6,187
If anyone is interested, I will be listing my HA-300 for sale this week, Mint condition with a lot of beyond excellent tubes we can discuss... NOS Tung Sol Black Glass, Round Pates, Brimar CV1988 Brown base, and KR Audio 300B Coke Bottle tubes. Also a back up quad of Rectifier tubes. Willing too work out a kick ass deal as I want to get a second motorcycle ASAP before riding season is done. PM me, and let's discuss!

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #411 of 6,187
If anyone is interested, I will be listing my HA-300 for sale this week, Mint condition with a lot of beyond excellent tubes we can discuss... NOS Tung Sol Black Glass, Round Pates, Brimar CV1988 Brown base, and KR Audio 300B Coke Bottle tubes. Also a back up quad of Rectifier tubes. Willing too work out a kick ass deal as I want to get a second motorcycle ASAP before riding season is done. PM me, and let's discuss!

Don't do it,,good luck with your sale if you absolutely have too.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #415 of 6,187
Well, the amp is sold. I have a couple of matched pairs of NOS Tung Sol Black Glass Round Plates, and Brimar CV1988 brown base. All have low hours and test strong. Also a pair of KR Audio 300B Coke Bottle tubes. For me, the best 300B tubes out there. Bass is incredible. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #416 of 6,187
Hi, does anyone know if ha300 can drive JBL 4312 sufficiently?

thanks

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #417 of 6,187
Hi, does anyone know if ha300 can drive JBL 4312 sufficiently?

thanks
It depends a lot on what you mean by sufficiently. The JBLs are 93db and 6 ohm is that correct? It also depends on your room size and how far away you are from the speakers. I think it will be ok as long as you don't expect room bending volume. I have KLHs which are notionally 94db in a biggish room and they are ok for most things but I'm beginning to think 97db would be more ideal so I'm considering single driver fill range speakers which also have a favourable impedance curve. I guess as always try it and see if you dealer will let you.

All else being equal it makes an astonishingly good sound on speakers.......

Oct 26, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #418 of 6,187
Let me quote the following JBL4312 article for your reference:

https://cheaptubeaudio.blogspot.com/2011/08/review-jbl-4312a-part-i.html
When I am by myself, I continue to listen to the 4312A. The same amp does not quite work nearly as well as the ICL 300B amp. The 300B gives a good degree of cleanliness and is just sufficient for personal listening. Last night I played a Mozart symphony, a Martinu quartet, a Kogan Beethoven, and only in Mahler's 4th did I encounter outright clipping and had to turn down the volume one notch. The 300B does not give that much bass but it does give a high quality bass, ans so the bass passages had surprising speed and depth for 8 watts. No, I did not find any of the stuff too lean.

I know this writer in person, we had a lot of heated discussion back in the good old days. He is a trustworthy audiophile sharing his honest opinion. I think his opinion is a good reference to HA-300 users who plan t use JBL4312 or 4312A.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 31, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #419 of 6,187
The amp was excellent with Utopias but it does hum a little since the Utopias are sensitive. It transformed the HD800S. All of the HD800/HD800S owners out there that have never heard it on a high end tube amp don't know what it's capable of. This was my favorite match with the HA-300. There was lack of nothing with this pairing and it had good bass too. [/QUOTE said:
What would be your pick between HD 800 and HD 800S if paring up with HA300 ? and would appreciate if you can elaborate the thoughts behind your choice …:)

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #420 of 6,187
My preference is for the 800S as it sounds better than the 800 when used balanced. I also think it is correct that the HA300 is a fabulous partnering amp for the 800S and it is as if they were made for each other. The slight warmth of the HA300 suits the slight coolness of the 800S and the midrange and sound-staging are spectacular. Of course I have not heard every headphone and every amp although I’ve tried a lot, and it depends on your personal preferences so what my thoughts are may not coincide with yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back