Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jan 24, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #542 of 6,212
Quality of interconnects is so imp, found out last week with the BX2 Plus. I have two, one I got with BA300S and the silver one from Romi.
It is super duper Important :)!!!

Batteries:
Technically, I have words confirming from Cayin that if you want the best for your C9 in batteries, go with Higher Current Discharge Rating (CDR) and low Internal Resistance. It effects headroom and transients, and this is where the fun comes to!!!! We all hear things differently and our gears are different too!! So is sources and IC

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #545 of 6,212
Nice! What are you planning to use as source(s)?

I am yet to find a DAP that could provide the transparent, deep and focused sound of a proper desktop DAC/amp like T+A HA200 and none of the DAPs I have tried (MAX, R8, SP2000) could reach that level to be "close" to desktop level source so far. Maybe Hugo2, but so far I am not hopeful about the DAPs after experiencing what a proper desktop device can deliver.

So I really wish for a matching portable DAC for C9.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #546 of 6,212
I am yet to find a DAP that could provide the transparent, deep and focused sound of a proper desktop DAC/amp like T+A HA200 and none of the DAPs I have tried (MAX, R8, SP2000) could reach that level to be "close" to desktop level source so far. Maybe Hugo2, but so far I am not hopeful about the DAPs after experiencing what a proper desktop device can deliver.

Maybe N6ii+A02?

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #547 of 6,212

So, you basically just want “top desktop performances” but with “portable footprint” and ”affordable price” ? Sizes do matter, and then portability also matter, just saying. The technologies keep progressing, eventually we will get there, just like how back in floppy disk days and age, a 1Tb was a dream.

For now, C9 can satisfy a lot of aspects while being portable. I will just upgrade DAP as it improved

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #548 of 6,212
Maybe N6ii+A02?
I doubt it, the battery and small package do have a lot of limitations to the architecture of the DAC. Desktop has unlimited power from the AC and it regulated supplies. Desktop also is not limited to sizes. However it can not be taken on the go, in the backpack, and so on. These systems are just like “tools”, you have to have the right tools for the right jobs. You can not hammer a nail with rubber hammer, and you can not hammer a wood floor with Hatchet either.

People can always dream and desire, and that is how innovation come about. We just need to be reasonable lol

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #549 of 6,212
So, you basically just want “top desktop performances” but with “portable footprint” and ”affordable price” ? Sizes do matter, and then portability also matter, just saying. The technologies keep progressing, eventually we will get there, just like how back in floppy disk days and age, a 1Tb was a dream.

For now, C9 can satisfy a lot of aspects while being portable. I will just upgrade DAP as it improved

Yeah, as "affordable" as R8, MAX and especially as SP2000 can be. Nowhere in my description any kind of limitation in size or price is mentioned. So I am not asking for any of it - just a DAC that performs better than a pocket portable screen device, in a matching size and "transportability" as the C9 itself. So no hammers or extra tools are part of the story.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #550 of 6,212
Yeah, as "affordable" as R8, MAX and especially as SP2000 can be. Nowhere in my description any kind of limitation in size or price is mentioned. So I am not asking for any of it - just a DAC that performs better than a pocket portable screen device, in a matching size and "transportability" as the C9 itself. So no hammers or extra tools are part of the story.

For what’s its worth, the DX300 + Romi BX-2 Plus sounds eerily close to my Chord HugoTT2 and Mscaler stack. The Chords are still better, but the former combo is a super enjoyable listen that you could take with you everywhere. :)

Can’t wait to checkout some more C9 reviews as I want to try a portable Tube amp! :)

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #551 of 6,212
it is all subjective matters really. For myself, I have been wanting a dedicated full blown portable amplifier like the C9 for so long. The Mass KOBO was the closest I wanted to pull the trigger , but the gain and power is also too limited. Now the C9 comes out even with Tubes and true balanced, the power is 2X as powerful than Burson Amp LOL

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #552 of 6,212
Then I think it really has to be Hugo 2. After all, a lot of people use it as their desktop DAC.

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #553 of 6,212
For what’s its worth, the DX300 + Romi BX-2 Plus sounds eerily close to my Chord HugoTT2 and Mscaler stack. The Chords are still better, but the former combo is a super enjoyable listen that you could take with you everywhere. :)

Can’t wait to checkout some more C9 reviews as I want to try a portable Tube amp! :)

Frankly speaking, both R8 and SP2000 with BX2+ sound really awesome as portables. My question was mainly this: "If we are going that far to have this kind of a portable amp, why not take also take the DAC section to the next step?"

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #554 of 6,212
Frankly speaking, both R8 and SP2000 with BX2+ sound really awesome as portables. My question was mainly this: "If we are going that far to have this kind of a portable amp, why not take also take the DAC section to the next step?"

Yeah, I’ve also been hearing and reading good feedback regarding the Luxury & Precision P6 Pro DAP with a R2R Ladder DAC. All of my DAPs either have AKM or ESS DAC chips, with the DX300 having Cirrus Logic.

With the latest advancement in tech, I’m sure we will be getting an awesome all in one package in the future. :)

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #555 of 6,212
Yeah, I’ve also been hearing and reading good feedback regarding the Luxury & Precision P6 Pro DAP with a R2R Ladder DAC. All of my DAPs either have AKM or ESS DAC chips, with the DX300 having Cirrus Logic.

With the latest advancement in tech, I’m sure we will be getting an awesome all in one package in the future. :)

I am not sure about going for C9 at the moment - at least not until I hear some impressions of improvement from the fellow BX2+ owners. My desktop system is still my main setup I listen to during working. So until then, I will just lay on my back and read the impressions of people that bought it. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back