Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jan 24, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #556 of 6,212
Now the C9 comes out even with Tubes and true balanced, the power is 2X as powerful than Burson Amp LOL

Which Burson amp though? I believe the Soloist 3XP @ 16 ohm can churn out 8W vs C9’s 4.1W on balanced out.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #557 of 6,212
Conductor 3P for example. Not only the C9 is more powerful, but also have higher SNR

at 300Ohms load, take Sennheiser HD800S (300). The C9 is 320mW with Signal to Noise 114 if Tubes, and Solid State is 123Db in the mean while the Burson is only 160mW and 95dB Signal to Noises Ratio.

Yes, we are not talking about sound performances, just pure paper specs comparison

Both C9 and Conductor can do 4W @16ohms, and specs as pictures below. The more the load, the faster the power output specs dropped for Burson Amp

Now, take the Burson and multiply 4x factors for 4x timbres choices, C9 is still cheaper, also is on the go, portable
Which Burson amp though? I believe the Soloist 3XP @ 16 ohm can churn out 8W vs C9’s 4.1W on balanced out.
BB683C44-C2B0-45C5-9FD6-EB3A441791EE.jpeg386F1515-7BC8-465D-AE77-9B07B12D443C.jpeg
Now for Soloist, the Soloist is similar, very powerful with light load, but at 300Ohms load, the C9 still is slightly more powerful with higher SNR

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #558 of 6,212
Conductor 3P for example. Not only the C9 is more powerful, but also have higher SNR

at 300Ohms load, take Sennheiser HD800S (300). The C9 is 320mW with Signal to Noise 114 if Tubes, and Solid State is 123Db in the mean while the Burson is only 160mW and 95dB Signal to Noises Ratio.

Yes, we are not talking about sound performances, just pure paper specs comparison

Both C9 and Conductor can do 4W @16ohms, and specs as pictures below. The more the load, the faster the power output specs dropped for Burson Amp

Now, take the Burson and multiply 4x factors for 4x timbres choices, C9 is still cheaper, also is on the go, portable

Now for Soloist, the Soloist is similar, very powerful with light load, but at 300Ohms load, the C9 still is slightly more powerful with higher SNR

Ah I see, I didn’t realize the numbers for higher loads and I know you have HD800S, so what matters for your case is the power output @ 300 ohm :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #559 of 6,212
Ah I see, I didn’t realize the numbers for higher loads and I know you have HD800S, so what matters for your case is the power output @300 ohm :thumbsup:
I have always wanted to maximize the Hd800S as much as possible , and while I could be portable as much as possible. I am probably the first one but...just saying

The Hd800S is one crazy headphones, it is opened back, but even when you go on a bike trip, the ways the housing is angled, the perforated protective metal, and everything, they just deflect winds away from your ears. You can virtually enjoy the Hd800S on a bike trip with a portable stack in your backpack!

For sweating purposes, you can buy Dakoni lamb skins if you prefer, or buy 2 sets of stock pads and just hand wash them here and there.

I use other in ears buds such as IER-Z1R, and EX1000 and the winds noises are so crazy =/

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #560 of 6,212
I have always wanted to maximize the Hd800S as much as possible , and while I could be portable as much as possible. I am probably the first one but...just saying

The Hd800S is one crazy headphones, it is opened back, but even when you go on a bike trip, the ways the housing is angled, the perforated protective metal, and everything, they just deflect winds away from your ears. You can virtually enjoy the Hd800S on a bike trip with a portable stack in your backpack!

For sweating purposes, you can buy Dakoni lamb skins if you prefer, or buy 2 sets of stock pads and just hand wash them here and there.

I use other in ears buds such as IER-Z1R, and EX1000 and the winds noises are so crazy =/
Make sure you ride safely with the music on!

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #561 of 6,212

Ha! I never imagined a full size hi-end headphone is used while riding a bike :relaxed: I did use my i4 when I was cycling, but after I got airpods max, I use them instead of i4 :smile:

and you’re right, the wind noise is crazy!

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #562 of 6,212
Make sure you ride safely with the music on!
Oh I ride on a trail, and with the open back nature of the Hd800S, I can still be aware of the surrounding while listening to music, unless I cranked it to deafening level lol
Ha! I never imagined a full size hi-end headphone is used while riding a bike :relaxed: I did use my i4 when I was cycling, but after I got airpods max, I use them instead of i4 :smile:

and you’re right, the wind noise is crazy!
you should try the Hd800S, you will be pleasantly surprised

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #563 of 6,212
I am yet to find a DAP that could provide the transparent, deep and focused sound of a proper desktop DAC/amp like T+A HA200 and none of the DAPs I have tried (MAX, R8, SP2000) could reach that level to be "close" to desktop level source so far. Maybe Hugo2, but so far I am not hopeful about the DAPs after experiencing what a proper desktop device can deliver.

So I really wish for a matching portable DAC for C9.
Based on my ownership experience so far & expectations for future potential, a DX300 with a heavily-modified internal amp module (either the shockingly-good stock amp or a future Nu-tube amp) might go close to satisfying your needs or at least get as close as current technology allows. Sorry to mention a competitor's product in this thread!

After saying that I'm a believer in "more money spent on amplification is always better" which is why I've had high hopes for the C9. If all-BA earphone bass was enough to satistisfy me (admittedly haven't demoed a U12T but have read its surprisingly good in that regard) I might not think amplification was so important and might focus more on cables instead. No doubt in my mind that today's DAPs still don't have enough quality juice to power DDs to their full potential. The alternative viewpoint is how lucky are we that earphones scale so unbelievably well with desktop-quality gear? :nerd:

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #564 of 6,212
And I assume probably replaceable too?
Should be easily replaced if it is standard 18650s and the 18650 has the highest energy density of any of the Li cells as for years it was the most commonly used cell so a lot of development went into it. LG, Sanyo and Samsung all make legit 3500 mAh 18650 cells but the rated current output of the Sony used here is higher than any of those so for high current applications like an amplifier so the CDR (discharge rate) was more important than overall capacity.

I can vouch for this seller if you need to purchase cells as I've used them for flashlight and RC apps in times past. https://www.batteryjunction.com/sony-vtc6-18650-3000-flat.html

For the record there are a ton of fakes out there of the higher priced cells so finding a reputable vendor is important.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #566 of 6,212
Should be easily replaced if it is standard 18650s and the 18650 has the highest energy density of any of the Li cells as for years it was the most commonly used cell so a lot of development went into it. LG, Sanyo and Samsung all make legit 3500 mAh 18650 cells but the rated current output of the Sony used here is higher than any of those so for high current applications like an amplifier so the CDR (discharge rate) was more important than overall capacity.

I can vouch for this seller if you need to purchase cells as I've used them for flashlight and RC apps in times past. https://www.batteryjunction.com/sony-vtc6-18650-3000-flat.html

For the record there are a ton of fakes out there of the higher priced cells so finding a reputable vendor is important.

I'm scratching my head about which of mine messages "And I assume probably replaceable too?" did you quote in your reply lol!!! I even searched the whole thread for this quote under my name and can't find it :D Trying to remember in what content and when I posted it.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #567 of 6,212
I'm scratching my head about which of mine messages "And I assume probably replaceable too?" did you quote in your reply lol!!! I even searched the whole thread for this quote under my name and can't find it :D Trying to remember in what content and when I posted it.

If you click your ID above the quote it will take you to the post. It's #15 in the thread, so a little while ago.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #568 of 6,212
If you click your ID above the quote it will take you to the post. It's #15 in the thread, so a little while ago.

Funny, didn't find it in search, but thanks for the pointer! So many years on Head-fi and I learned something new today :D Yes, I see it now, it was early on before we knew the spec.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #570 of 6,212
at least you guessed it right, and I blame you for the reason I am buying one.....

Try to explain this logic to your wife, Vince: Alex guessed that C9 will have a replaceable battery, so now I have to buy this amplifier :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back