Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jan 21, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #526 of 6,212
I am fairly new to topologies and this "pre" option kind of confuses me.

Anyway, I use a Hugo2 with an r6pro as a transport. Now, this is what I want to do. If I only use my Hugo2 DAC and feed the signal to the c9 (note that Hugo2 is single ended), so it makes sense to feed SE to the c9 here. But most of my gear are 4.4mm terminated. With this setup I mentioned, what comes out of the balanced phone out of the c9? Clearly, the input is not balanced, but can it output through the balanced socket to the headphone/IEM (I know theoretically it won't be balanced) but I am just doing my research before shelling out the money.
The C9 is true Balanced Amplifier. Of course it can take single ended input and output inverted phase into balanced out.

Therefore, you should be able to use it the way you just asked

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #528 of 6,212
@Andykong for the 18650 purposes, I assumes that the C9 can charge itself, so the best battery kind is the bare battery UnProtected right ? Flat ? Or button head ?

Also , what is the Continuous Current Rating is the C9 drawing at Max ? Tubes balanced in/out class A

Thanks much

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #530 of 6,212
I am getting ready for my C9!!! The end game interconnect
554AEB1D-8361-4C5F-A62F-CA57CCD8DA26.jpeg

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #531 of 6,212
554AEB1D-8361-4C5F-A62F-CA57CCD8DA26.jpeg

I love those Furutechs.....may I ask what cable is it? Did you make it yourself?

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #533 of 6,212
Jan 23, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #534 of 6,212
Very nice! Those look like Furutech connectors? I'm interested to hear what sort of wire & solder you used.

I like these ,
20210124_103146.jpg20210124_103037.jpg
That Brimar interconnect looks super nice. It looks like the individual cores are spiraled around a some sort of plastic or teflon spacer?

I recently ordered a pair of 3.5mm mini-to-minis yet to arrive. An 8-core pure silver interconnect from CEMA, and a palladium-plated Penon Totem:
https://penonaudio.com/audio-cable/3.5mm-cable/penon-totem-audio-cable.html

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #536 of 6,212
Furutech rhodium plated plugs
Wires is from Jade Audio Pure Gold Interconnect
Solder Oyaide SS47
That's some very expensive wire! Quick question though please - have you experienced much in the way of sonic differences between solders? I'm a believer in silver solder vs non-silver, beyond that don't know how much improvement the more exotic solders really make.

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #537 of 6,212
That's some very expensive wire! Quick question though please - have you experienced much in the way of sonic differences between solders? I'm a believer in silver solder vs non-silver, beyond that don't know how much improvement the more exotic solders really make.
Yes, and my choices of solders are based on all the trials&errors I did a while back. I have been sticking with SS47 from then on, and not going to change soon

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #538 of 6,212
Yes, and my choices of solders are based on all the trials&errors I did a while back. I have been sticking with SS47 from then on, and not going to change soon
Aha, cheers for that. So theoretically, if you re-soldered each joint in the signal path of a C9 with SS47 you would expect improved performance or at least a timbral shift?

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #539 of 6,212
Aha, cheers for that. So theoretically, if you re-soldered each joint in the signal path of a C9 with SS47 you would expect improved performance or at least a timbral shift?
Maybe, yes, and also no. The solder inside any of these devices are actually oven baked, and it depends on what solders the company used. There are many different pastes in the market, and some of them are already with high silver contains. I do not know which one was used, and also have not experienced with different pastes. The one thing for sure is that those component have reflow limits. If you dont have it done right, then you may have already degraded These components in sake of trying to improve it by solders.

everything is important, but there have to be priorities. For example, if you would want to improve the C9 by modifications, then you may want to swap out Wima caps, or OSCons, or some FET, and re-balancing the amp as a whole. However, I am not doing any of that, having 4 amps in one is enough to roll the dice, ontop of that, there is battery to roll. I will be too busy to roll all that and don’t even want to bother. Those are also the reasons why I jumped in for the C9

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #540 of 6,212
My N6II is ready for C920210124_165143.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back