Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
May 7, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #3,961 of 6,211
Any hints on a May announcement?
My hesitation with the C9 is really that I need a desktop solution. But finally found an Australian distributor (who hasn’t replied). Wish there was a digital in.
If you want a more desktop solution, perhaps you can ponder the Shanling M30. Lotsa flexibility and options with that one. Only question is whether you like the sound signature. But it does have 3 options to choose from: bypass, resistor or tube. :)

May 7, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #3,962 of 6,211
If you want a more desktop solution, perhaps you can ponder the Shanling M30. Lotsa flexibility and options with that one. Only question is whether you like the sound signature. But it does have 3 options to choose from: bypass, resistor or tube. :)
Looking for something with the sound signature of the DCS Bartok. But with the footprint of a Moon 230 or Topping A90. Don’t need the fancy DAC or network streamer as can connect the Hugo2/2Go to it.

Don’t ask for much do I? If the C9 will do the trick I’ll be a happy camper. Distributor has to order in stock so it’s a 2 week wait!

Trailli and SP2K comes close :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #3,963 of 6,211
Actually what I think it might be fun to do is to listen to the C9 in preamp mode out of a Naim Atom... The Atom kinda sucks as a headphone source because the built-in headphone amp is not great, and it cannot do a line output - but the C9's preamp mode kinda solves that.

I really don't want to be tempted to buy an Atom though, so I will not be doing that demo.

However, I'm just leaving this here in case someone else wants to consider it...

I would wait and see whether they update their unit. The Naim is a fantastic 'all in one' on paper and really needs a decent Headphone Amp.

What tier of desktop amp would the C9 compare to? I suppose for easy to drive IEM's and headphones (e.g. Utopia ; Stellia) the C9 should have more than enough headroom.

May 8, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #3,964 of 6,211
I removed the screws from the C9 and put then into a protective case for storage in my C9 bag along with the screw driver. The C9 case holds the battery tray in place very nicely as it sits in the back. This will make changing the batteries a lot easier. I am going to try this for a while to see what happens. Anyone see any big negatives to operating the C9 in this way?

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #3,965 of 6,211
I removed the screws from the C9 and put then into a protective case for storage in my C9 bag along with the screw driver. The C9 case holds the battery tray in place very nicely as it sits in the back. This will make changing the batteries a lot easier. I am going to try this for a while to see what happens. Anyone see any big negatives to operating the C9 in this way?
Seems to me like a great solution

May 8, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #3,966 of 6,211
Just some initial impressions from a few hours with my new purchase of the C9, paired with the Shanling M8:

Line in vs Pre (Tube/Class A)

Pre – warmer, less detail esp in harmonics and tonal nuance, mild hiss

Line – cooler, larger & deeper stage, more detail, blacker background

My preference with M8: Line out mode, Low gain (M8), Low gain (C9) - line in to C9 is a clear winner.

Timbre/Amp

Class A/B – impact, Class A – less aggressive

Tube – more transparent & forward mids, slower attack – greater decay

SS – balanced presentation

Tonal accuracy hard to choose, Tubes have slight advantage

My preference with M8: Tube / Class A for the majority of my music

Shanling M8 (high gain) + MEST MK2 vs Shanling M8 LO mode (low gain) – Cayin C9 (Tube/A/low gain) + MEST MK2

With C9
  • Bass tighter, reaches deeper
  • Mids brought forward (towards my preferred signature!)
  • Deeper & more spherical staging
  • Greater transparency
  • Possibly blacker background (may be due to the deeper staging and tighter dynamics giving the impression of greater contrast?)
Without C9
  • Looser macrodynamics / ‘smoother’ presentation
  • Mids lacking body (for my preference)
  • Shallower & less spherical stage / greater intimacy
  • Less detail (but not necessarily in a bad way at times; can make for easier listening)
  • Less transparent

Overall, several steps up for both the 3DT + MESTMK2. My concern prior to purchase was producing a warm-on-warm signature that would detract from things (due to a lack of true LO on the M8). While we all have our preferences and point at which things may become ‘too warm’, I certainly haven’t reached that point – thankfully! In fact, there was an almost immediate appreciation that things sounded less congested, more transparent and more detailed with the C9 which, I feel, has offset any cumulative effect of double amp’ing in this scenario that could risk warming things too far.

What’s clear in the few hours of listening is that the line in (and line in mode on the M8) is superior in presenting the technical ability of the IEM when compared to the preamp function. For those pairing M8’s, ensure that when you switch to line out mode that you then alter the gain to low gain as it defaults to ‘turbo’.

Another point is that my MEST MK2 has seemed to benefit more from this upgrade than the cheaper 3DT, likely because the C9 helps it work to its strengths, seeing an improvement in technicalities which were clearly hamstrung to a degree with M8 alone.

Obviously take my initial impressions with a pinch of salt, but its all good so far! Thanks for all the help and advice along the way guys.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #3,967 of 6,211
Just some initial impressions from a few hours with my new purchase of the C9, paired with the Shanling M8:

Line in vs Pre (Tube/Class A)

Pre – warmer, less detail esp in harmonics and tonal nuance, mild hiss

Line – cooler, larger & deeper stage, more detail, blacker background

My preference with M8: Line out mode, Low gain (M8), Low gain (C9) - line in to C9 is a clear winner.

Timbre/Amp

Class A/B – impact, Class A – less aggressive

Tube – more transparent & forward mids, slower attack – greater decay

SS – balanced presentation

Tonal accuracy hard to choose, Tubes have slight advantage

My preference with M8: Tube / Class A for the majority of my music

Shanling M8 (high gain) + MEST MK2 vs Shanling M8 LO mode (low gain) – Cayin C9 (Tube/A/low gain) + MEST MK2

With C9
  • Bass tighter, reaches deeper
  • Mids brought forward (towards my preferred signature!)
  • Deeper & more spherical staging
  • Greater transparency
  • Possibly blacker background (may be due to the deeper staging and tighter dynamics giving the impression of greater contrast?)
Without C9
  • Looser macrodynamics / ‘smoother’ presentation
  • Shallower & less spherical stage / greater intimacy
  • Less detail (but not necessarily in a bad way at times; can make for easier listening)
  • Less transparent

Overall, several steps up for both the 3DT + MESTMK2. My concern prior to purchase was producing a warm-on-warm signature that would detract from things (due to a lack of true LO on the M8). While we all have our preferences and point at which things may become ‘too warm’, I certainly haven’t reached that point – thankfully! In fact, there was an almost immediate appreciation that things sounded less congested, more transparent and more detailed with the C9 which, I feel, has offset any cumulative effect of double amp’ing in this scenario that could risk warming things too far.

What’s clear in the few hours of listening is that the line in (and line in mode on the M8) is superior in presenting the technical ability of the IEM when compared to the preamp function. For those pairing M8’s, ensure that when you switch to line out mode that you then alter the gain to low gain as it defaults to ‘turbo’.

Another point is that my MEST MK2 has seemed to benefit more from this upgrade than the cheaper 3DT, likely because the C9 helps it work to its strengths, seeing an improvement in technicalities which were clearly hamstrung to a degree with M8 alone.

Obviously take my initial impressions with a pinch of salt, but its all good so far! Thanks for all the help and advice along the way guys.
Congrats! Glad to know that you enjoy it!

I am also thinking to try the M8. :)

May 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #3,968 of 6,211
Congrats! Glad to know that you enjoy it!

I am also thinking to try the M8. :)
Thanks man. Certainly don't regret the purchase.

The M8 is great, it really is, even without the C9 it has a character to it, as if its trying to seduce you! It definitely isn't a clinical listen.

May 8, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #3,969 of 6,211
Thanks man. Certainly don't regret the purchase.

The M8 is great, it really is, even without the C9 it has a character to it, as if its trying to seduce you! It definitely isn't a clinical listen.
Indeed. My current SP2000 is clean but a bit clinical. Want to try out something new.

May 8, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #3,970 of 6,211
Any Elysium impressions with C9 and M8?
That'll be possibly some trigger for me after the positive MEST MKII review though I still cannot help thinking: what if I saved all that money to get a Traillii right away...

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #3,971 of 6,211
Any Elysium impressions with C9 and M8?
That'll be possibly some trigger for me after the positive MEST MKII review though I still cannot help thinking: what if I saved all that money to get a Traillii right away...
That's a tough one mate. Traillii with M8 would probably be incredible. Maybe get the 3DT to compliment the MK2 and save for the Traillii? 3DT has some of the lovely DD mids.. .

I highly recommend 3DT with the M8 to compliment the MK2.

May 8, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #3,972 of 6,211
Anyway yet got a used Elysium but won't be able to listen before coming back home in 1 week

May 8, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #3,973 of 6,211
Anyway yet got a used Elysium but won't be able to listen before coming back home in 1 week
I would say to gradually walk you way up is a good idea. Start with Elysium and (hopefully) enjoy it for some period of time first. :) Going directly to Traillii is both a huge financial investment and also would destroy all other IEMs for you.

May 8, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #3,974 of 6,211
I would say to gradually walk you way up is a good idea. Start with Elysium and (hopefully) enjoy it for some period of time first. :) Going directly to Traillii is both a huge financial investment and also would destroy all other IEMs for you.

As you've already secured an elysium, I would agree with this. Sit back and enjoy some music with what will be a damn fine setup.

May 8, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #3,975 of 6,211
Anyway didn't want to spam C9 thread but the thought is striking and discussable Imho
a) get a C9 and bring your IEMs closer to Traillii level
b) get a L&P W2 and connect a Traillii and get the same experience if not better thus saving lots of bucks previously spent on DAPs and amps...

I am just painting the scenario black-white here for the sake of discussion without ever having listened to either C9 or Traillii...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back