Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 8, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #2,717 of 6,212
Nice and neatly packed, but do you plug and unplug often ?
It all depends. I have a 2 year old toddler and live in an old Viennese apartment, which is prone to dust, so some precautions have to be made at the expensive of ease-of-use.

I don't ever see me using the C9 out and about to be honest. It's heavy, nicely heavy - but heavy. And hot. Travelling to hotels/conferences, yes. Long train journeys, sure. I'll put it in the Peli case. But going about my daily life, no way.

Edit - taking it to a cafe/library is feasible, though in a cafe I'd be paranoid about spillages.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #2,718 of 6,212
Looks quite promising in your setup! For H2 + C9, you may also try the pre-mode from C9 as recommended by @lumdicks, but please be VERY careful the first time you operate it. Make sure not to have your IEMs/headphones on your ears when testing the pre mode.
Just tried this, and glad I read the manual carefully before doing so, because even when I thought I turned all volumes down, it still blasted out (headphones were not on at the time). Indeed, there is a nice elevation in detail retrieval and dynamics in pre-mode. Listening to my Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT, which are sounding great - terrific slam with excellent control.

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #2,719 of 6,212
Hi, I am hoping someone can give me advice on paring the Hugo 2 with the C9. I've had the C9 for a while and love it, I just received the Hugo 2. Comparing the two (sound quality wise) I find them in the same league as each other, just with different sound signatures. I was hoping adding the H2 to the C9 would give a nice leap in sound quality but was a bit disappointed in my first listen.

I've put the H2 in 3v RMS line level mode and connected to the C9 via a cheap RCA to 3.5mm cable. I had one of these $5 cables and know I should get something better but wanted to give it a try. I was using Tube A mode to listen to a few songs on the Utopia's, that is the only HP I have tried so far because I was pressed for time. Things sounded fine but I didn't notice a significant improvement in SQ from just using the C9 or the H2 on their own.

I see from some posts a few people are very impressed with the H2 and C9. Can you share with me what cables you are using and how you have that stack setup? Maybe the cheap RCA cable was limiting things more than I thought it would. The H2 has so many connection options that I'm not sure which I should be using to get the very best SQ when paired with the C9. I'm happy to purchase high quality cables, I just want to be sure I'm getting the right ones.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I'm fairly new to this hobby and still have a lot to learn.
I think you're limiting yourself with a $5 cable. I use this 3.5mm IC, which currently has a *massive* reduction, so grab while you can. For RCA, I use this Kimber cable, but many other people can offer other recommendations.

Switching between line/pre mode, as suggested above, may also prove fruitful.

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #2,720 of 6,212
Hi, I am hoping someone can give me advice on paring the Hugo 2 with the C9. I've had the C9 for a while and love it, I just received the Hugo 2. Comparing the two (sound quality wise) I find them in the same league as each other, just with different sound signatures. I was hoping adding the H2 to the C9 would give a nice leap in sound quality but was a bit disappointed in my first listen.

I've put the H2 in 3v RMS line level mode and connected to the C9 via a cheap RCA to 3.5mm cable. I had one of these $5 cables and know I should get something better but wanted to give it a try. I was using Tube A mode to listen to a few songs on the Utopia's, that is the only HP I have tried so far because I was pressed for time. Things sounded fine but I didn't notice a significant improvement in SQ from just using the C9 or the H2 on their own.

I see from some posts a few people are very impressed with the H2 and C9. Can you share with me what cables you are using and how you have that stack setup? Maybe the cheap RCA cable was limiting things more than I thought it would. The H2 has so many connection options that I'm not sure which I should be using to get the very best SQ when paired with the C9. I'm happy to purchase high quality cables, I just want to be sure I'm getting the right ones.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I'm fairly new to this hobby and still have a lot to learn.
You may check with @lumdicks or @bluestorm1992

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,721 of 6,212

Me and @lumdicks prefer using the pre mode of C9 when paired with H2. To do that, reset your H2 to be the regular mode first. Then, follow the user manual to turn on the pre mode of C9, and make sure NOT to have your headphone on your ears while testing this.

As for the IC, just use the stock 3.5 mm IC and the regular headphone out from H2.

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #2,722 of 6,212

Interconnect apart, try not using the the 3V RMS of H2 with C9. Instead, just use H2 as a Pre-amp to C9 with the Pre In mode. As such, the C9 will act as a power amp with maximum output, and you can control the volume via H2. As reminded by @bluestorm1992, please turn your volume of H2 to minimum first to prevent accidentally trigger the pre mode with unbearable high volume, which may be damage to you CAN or your hearing. With this pairing, you can preserve the sound quality of H2 at maximum, and at the same time enjoy the driving power and timbre (tube or SS, Class A or AB) of C9.

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #2,723 of 6,212
First impressions of C9 and ZMF VC:

1. Oodles of power. I never have to turn it beyond 13:00 to achieve maximum listening level. So, there is no question whatsoever of the C9's power potential.
2. Again, I'm A'B'ing with my Sparkos Aries, which is my default amp for the VC. With the Hugo 2 as source, the C9 gives the VC an authoritative clout, with excellent control and impressive technical merits. Imaging, seperation, and micro-details are all stellar.
3. Running through my "audiophile reference" playlist, the overall impression is of an immersive presentation with impressive 3D like quality (currently listening to Morph the Cat by Donald Fagan). The timbre is also very engaging; incredibly natural and lifelike without at all being fatiguing. The Sparkos Aries also shares this character, but it's a more revealing and more unforgiving amplifier.
4. Even with tube mode on, I don't sense any significant colouring to the point it overpowers the source. The Hugo 2 is still present, but enhanced in every sense. BTW: I find the Hugo 2 picky when it comes to amp pairing. I've tried it with a few tube amps, and it never worked. Here, it works supremely well. Kudos to Cayin.
5. I'm almost tempted to say I prefer the C9 with the VC over the Sparkos. It has an incredibly satisfying sense of "oomph," as though there was more air passing through the VC. The VC also sound fast with the C9. This is definitely not a sloppy or mushy pairing. Metal (at least classic metal from 1982-1992) sounds outstanding. Tight, punchy, outstanding clarity, impressive resolution.
6. On pure class a, SS mode - you gain some sense of transparency, a little more air, with a slightly more precise imaging.

In sum, VC and C9 - winning combo. I can't imagine anyone not hearing this combo and feeling satisfied.

I'll go through my other headphones soon (curious to see what the C9 does with my 600ohm Beyers, just out of interest).
A bit off-topic here - knowing that you originally wanted to get the Audio-Technica AT-BHA100 but in vain, and bought the Sparkos Aries instead. Just want to share that I have just got the Audio-technica and it is amazing! I enjoy pairing my Hugo 2 to both of the C9 and the Audio-technica so let's audition it if you have chance.

20210408_093650.jpeg

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #2,724 of 6,212
A bit off-topic here - knowing that you originally wanted to get the Audio-Technica AT-BHA100 but in vain, and bought the Sparkos Aries instead. Just want to share that I have just got the Audio-technica and it is amazing! I enjoy pairing my Hugo 2 to both of the C9 and the Audio-technica so let's audition it if you have chance.

20210408_093650.jpeg
Man do you get new toys on a weekly basis? 🤯:joy:

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #2,725 of 6,212
It all depends. I have a 2 year old toddler and live in an old Viennese apartment, which is prone to dust, so some precautions have to be made at the expensive of ease-of-use.

I don't ever see me using the C9 out and about to be honest. It's heavy, nicely heavy - but heavy. And hot. Travelling to hotels/conferences, yes. Long train journeys, sure. I'll put it in the Peli case. But going about my daily life, no way.

Edit - taking it to a cafe/library is feasible, though in a cafe I'd be paranoid about spillages.
The reason I asked is that with Pelicans case, you can stack it up, and that will avoid the plugging and unplugging of the IC each time you take it out and put it back in. I use it this way and almost always paired with A02

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #2,726 of 6,212
Apr 8, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,728 of 6,212
I think you're limiting yourself with a $5 cable. I use this 3.5mm IC, which currently has a *massive* reduction, so grab while you can. For RCA, I use this Kimber cable, but many other people can offer other recommendations.

Switching between line/pre mode, as suggested above, may also prove fruitful.
thanks for that tip with the interconnect cable. I have about 10 right now, but for this price I grabbed the ALO in an instant :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #2,729 of 6,212
I must stop........... should stay here for a while...............hopefully.:tired_face:
I hear you man. Last week I got the Sultan, was very happy with it, and thought I could stop in the search of IEMs for a while (well, until QDC V14 comes out). This week, I am looking at my headphone and contemplating Empyrean and Final D8000 Pro...

C9 opens up so many possibilities. Now I am down in two rabbit holes at the same time: IEMs and headphones.

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #2,730 of 6,212
Lol! Do you have the time to enjoy them all ?
I am trying my best. Working from home helps a lot and I listen to different gears while not having any Zoom Meeting.

When I go to office, I bring along my DAPs and IEMs. When I stay at home, I use my desktop setup and CANS.

Luckily I do not have another hobby currently......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back