Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 4, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,656 of 6,211
Those are to go from 4.4mm output to RCA input. Like connecting your DAP to a single ended amp.

You can go BAL to SE, but never the other way around.
Got it. I was just wondering why there were so many cables out there with 4.4mm. Your explanation clarifies the issue.

edited to note: I am going to avoid those cables with RCA and balanced terminations. Same reason I avoid anything with 3.5mm balanced. I can see my son looking at the plugs and trying it because it fits. I try to avoid any combinations that could accidentally cause ground problems.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #2,657 of 6,211
Does anyone know if the white power light on the button changes to a different colour at any time to indicate something? Or does it just stay white when powered?

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #2,658 of 6,211
Does anyone know if the white power light on the button changes to a different colour at any time to indicate something? Or does it just stay white when powered?
Just stayed white all the time for me. Does yours change to a different color?

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #2,659 of 6,211
No... 🤣 Just asking in case I get a coronery seeing the C9 displaying a different fault code colour... like to be prepared.

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #2,660 of 6,211
I'm getting some background hissing with U12t in the C9. Any other U12t owners experiencing the same?

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #2,661 of 6,211
I'm getting some background hissing with U12t in the C9. Any other U12t owners experiencing the same?
What is your source? I know that if you use SP2000 and with high gain of C9, you are likely to get hiss with IEMs. Switching C9 to low gain solves the issue.

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,662 of 6,211
What is your source? I know that if you use SP2000 and with high gain of C9, you are likely to get hiss with IEMs. Switching C9 to low gain solves the issue.
Yes, this is exactly my setup: SP2000 + C9. Using low gain solved the issue. Thanks!

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #2,663 of 6,211
@bluestorm1992 Do you know if low gain stops the Odin from hissing too? I'm considering getting an Odin soon but I've been reading some mixed experiences with the Odin and C9.

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #2,664 of 6,211
@bluestorm1992 Do you know if low gain stops the Odin from hissing too? I'm considering getting an Odin soon but I've been reading some mixed experiences with the Odin and C9.
Better to consult Alex @twister6 about this. Also, @HiFiHawaii808 is getting C9 soon and he has Odin as well. I remember Alex mentioned that the iFi IEMatch will help the pairing with Odin.

Edit: I can also report that Sultan is not a great pairing with C9, while SP2000 alone is an extremely good pairing with it. Not about the hiss issue, just the synergy.

Traillii is a very very good pairing with C9; it benefits so much from it. I am gonna try out MMR’s new flagship and QDC V14 as well. V14 had reported to be a very good pairing with C9.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #2,665 of 6,211
Those are to go from 4.4mm output to RCA input. Like connecting your DAP to a single ended amp.

You can go BAL to SE, but never the other way around.
No, even the DAP with balanced, it just can not automatically go from balanced to single ended. You will essentially short out the Negatives L and R toward ground. It is only possible to use it this way if and only when the DAP itself has a differential stages that can automatically switch from balanced out to SE out when it detects a short. I know the Ibasso Dx220Max can do so, and by far is the only DAP

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #2,666 of 6,211
@Andykong Thanks to you and your team at Cayin for making it possible to quickly send out a replacement C9 for my DOA one. Much appreciated. 🙏
Quick Q, @Andykong : any ETA for the replacement C9? Zepp has been asked but no response. Guess they’re too busy with shoppers over the Easter weekend. Thanks!

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #2,667 of 6,211
Have any reviewers done a comparison with this and the WA11? I'm wondering if it is worth the upgrade (noting that there is no DAC in the C9.
Got some time to give you a quick reply.

I will say C9 is a significant upgrade from WA11. To me C9 has three clear advantages over WA11:
  1. C9 can deliver wonderful performance with both IEMs and headphones. WA11 is not really designed to be used with IEMs.
  2. C9 has a much better versatility. It has two timbre (tube!/SS) and two classes (A/AB) and has both 3.5 and 4.4 for input and output. On the other hand, WA11 is relatively restrictive as it only has one mode (SS) and only has a 4.4 output.
  3. Even for the SS mode alone, C9 performs better than WA11. I used to have WA11 to drive Diana V2. Although it had plenty of power, the background distortion of WA11 was so significant. (This is with LPGT as the dedicated source). I ended up selling it to get a Broadway Amp which is a significant step up. I hold on to the Broadway Amp until I acquired C9. I found the performance between C9 and Broadway to be almost identical in driving the V2, so I sold the Broadway and have been keeping C9 as the driver for V2.
A final quick point is that the DAC in WA11 is really bad based on both my subjective listening experience and measurements. So, unless you really cherish the ability to have an all-in-one device, I don’t think WA11 will be able to compete with C9. Of course, C9 is also more expensive, so this is something to consider.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #2,668 of 6,211
Odin is my go to iem, and I use SP2k ss (also have cu but ss is my daily driver), and C9.

sp2k is aready amazing with Odin, no hiss. I use C9 with it usually in tube+class A mode, low gain, 6v LO from sp2k ss, I don’t hear any hiss. (Odin+stormbreaker cable)

As for improvement, to be honest Odin pairing with sp2k is already excellent. Adding C9 does not improve stage or detail or anything like that I do it for the change in tonality, the tube in c9 makes it a little more smooth and a tad warmer. Low end, bass, mid bass hits a little harder.

C9 effect is much more prominent with other iem, but for Odin, only slightly. More like changing flavor, to an already excellent highly detail and transparent pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back