Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 18, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #5,582 of 6,211
BUT I did read somewhere, can't find the article (a long time ago) that Li-Ion and Li-Po still benefit from being fully discharge from time to time. So I also run them down - maybe once a quarter or half year just for the heck of it 😂
Most articles I've come across say otherwise - best not to fully discharge Li-ion batteries ,or even go below 30% if possible. I know it's definitely bad to store fully discharged batteries.

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #5,583 of 6,211
Most articles I've come across say otherwise - best not to fully discharge Li-ion batteries ,or even go below 30% if possible. I know it's definitely bad to store fully discharged batteries.

Yes, that's true (I didn't say otherwise) for Li-Ion and Li-Po, it's how the chemical composition is. But then again, as with any battery enabled device, you'll also run them down (phone, laptop, powerbanks) - so it's technically "the same" as saying "fully discharging" them :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #5,584 of 6,211
I am just a sucker for cases it seems. With the Van Nuys 12 has almost everything except.... room for an extra battery module, if needed. So a few days looking and settled on the Pelican 1020 Micro with the additional block foam insert. With taking what was removed and having it as padding when closed, does a good job imo.

20220419_171235.jpg
20220419_171253.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #5,585 of 6,211
I am just a sucker for cases it seems. With the Van Nuys 12 has almost everything except.... room for an extra battery module, if needed. So a few days looking and settled on the Pelican 1020 Micro with the additional block foam insert. With taking what was removed and having it as padding when closed, does a good job imo.

20220419_171235.jpg20220419_171253.jpg
Nice- seems much better than slotting it back into the box that the recharging unit came on, which is too tight a squeeze for it- I am always worried that I will damage the recharger when I put it back in there.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #5,586 of 6,211
Nice- seems much better than slotting it back into the box that the recharging unit came on, which is too tight a squeeze for it- I am always worried that I will damage the recharger when I put it back in there.
No problem, just sharing my experiences with others, hope it helps some!

I know how long a cardboard sleeve lasts in the wild, so definitely needed something better than the stock box. I also wanted something that would fit it in place, no movement, and keep the chip part obviously free of anything. I think this checks all boxes and can also get run over by a car if need be.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #5,587 of 6,211

Noice! Decided to use my extra Pelican as well and just buy new foam inserts.

20220420_132006.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #5,589 of 6,211
That's what I might get as well

Was looking for a case that would carry "all" (DAP, DAC, C9, cables, IEMs) but nothing that suits my preference. My DAP, DAC, cables already has a case I'm satisfied using. So decided to save some $ and just use this 1060 that I have extra. Some nifty cutting of the foam inserts and I have a case that snugly fits the C9 😁

Apr 21, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #5,590 of 6,211
What's the current stand on battery rolling for the C9? Last I checked was a year ago, someone had found a single model that they said sounded a little cleaner than the stock ones -- but it was always out of stock so I didn't get to try it.

Any changes in the meanwhile? Any batteries that do good things for the sound? Or was battery rolling always just a bit of a... wank idea? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a sceptic. I'd of LOVE to hear there's a 20 USD pair of batteries I can buy that makes my C9 10% better

Apr 21, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #5,591 of 6,211
What's the current stand on battery rolling for the C9? Last I checked was a year ago, someone had found a single model that they said sounded a little cleaner than the stock ones -- but it was always out of stock so I didn't get to try it.

Any changes in the meanwhile? Any batteries that do good things for the sound? Or was battery rolling always just a bit of a... wank idea? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a sceptic. I'd of LOVE to hear there's a 20 USD pair of batteries I can buy that makes my C9 10% better
Than I'll take the $ 200.00 batteries ... 🤣

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #5,592 of 6,211

Given that people love to *fiddle* with things in audiophile arena, I strongly suspect that you hit the nail on the head with your apt formulation that battery rolling is indeed - in all likelihood - nothing more but also nothing less than a wank idea.

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #5,593 of 6,211

@Whitigir

stated of the Orbotronic 3500mAh 18650 High Drain Rechargeable Battery 3.7V Flat Top earlier in this thread

“Best batteries with blackest back ground, best sub bass and bass body, tube like transients overall, smoother trebles, great textures. Highly recommended”

https://www.orbtronic.com/3500mah-18650-imr-battery-high-drain-rechargeable-orbtronic-li-ion

I have these as my spare pair for C9. I do not hear a sonic difference Myself, but they work in all ways as well as the stock VTC6s

Apr 21, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #5,594 of 6,211
Orbotronic 3500mAh 18650

Sadly there doesn't seem to be any way to get those outside of the US/CAN (to the UK). Seems like these are the only one anyone's tried really, I remember trying to buy them a year ago :D

DAMN YOU WONDERBATTERIES! Why don't they bring them to this stupid isle! Now I will never have whitgr's black background, and will have to make due with the BAD background my regular batteries give me.

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #5,595 of 6,211
Sadly there doesn't seem to be any way to get those outside of the US/CAN (to the UK). Seems like these are the only one anyone's tried really, I remember trying to buy them a year ago :D

DAMN YOU WONDERBATTERIES! Why don't they bring them to this stupid isle! Now I will never have whitgr's black background, and will have to make due with the BAD background my regular batteries give me.
And if you can actually tell the difference then you will NEVER be satisfied. So...stick with stock. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back