Cavalli Liquid Crimson Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 14, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #16 of 43
Update: the system pictured here has been so enchanting, so immersive that I have ripped more CDs from my large library in the last 7 days than the previous 7 months combined. To say that I enjoy this system would be an understatement.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #17 of 43
I truly love my Crimson, but unfortunately my cat loves to sleep on top of my warmed up crimson, er.   besides that the Crimson sounds very nice.   it has really helped me out these last few weeks.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #18 of 43
  I truly love my Crimson, but unfortunately my cat loves to sleep on top of my warmed up crimson, er.   besides that the Crimson sounds very nice.   it has really helped me out these last few weeks.

^ Can confirm that the crimson is a cat magnet, evn if one of the cats is largen enough he has to drape himself over it instead of curling up on it like the smaller cat.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #19 of 43

Mine wants to sleep on the yggdrasil. I finally set the Eximus DP1 on top which put a stop that. Crimson has a Bifrost MB sitting on top making it uncomfortable to stretch out upon. Crimson and BiMB have been delighting my ears many hours each day since the Crimson arrived.

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #20 of 43
Copy and paste from the announcement thread:

Hey there Crimson owners! According to UPS tracking, I should be joining the club tomorrow – couldn't be more excited! I've been doing some reading lately, and I'm curious to know if any of you can offer any comparisons between the Cavalli and the Woo WA22. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Jun 23, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #21 of 43
Copy and paste from the announcement thread:

Hey there Crimson owners! According to UPS tracking, I should be joining the club tomorrow – couldn't be more excited! I've been doing some reading lately, and I'm curious to know if any of you can offer any comparisons between the Cavalli and the Woo WA22. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Can't offer you comparisons to the WA22 but I can offer congratulations on acquiring an extraordinary example of a hybrid tube / mosfet amp. I go back and forth between the Liquid Crimson and Zana Deux. Both amazing amplifiers offering many hours of auditory satisfaction.
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #22 of 43
  Can't offer you comparisons to the WA22 but I can offer congratulations on acquiring an extraordinary example of a hybrid tube / mosfet amp. I go back and forth between the Liquid Crimson and Zana Deux. Both amazing amplifiers offering many hours of auditory satisfaction.
beerchug.gif

Thanks Bob!

I unpacked the Crimson last night, however, we got to host a small group at our apartment last night so I didn't get much listening time. Been diggin' on the amp from my Emotiva DC-1 for about a half hour though, and I don't know if it's expectation bias, but I'm hearing things from my GH1 and Alpha Prime that frankly, I've not heard before. I don't remember ever hearing such a developed soundstage nor such a rich low end...

Further impressions to come!

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #23 of 43
So what's up?

Not much action on this thread and anywhere else that I know of.... seems like this wonderful amp deserves a more vocal fan club. After reading about the house of Cavalli for a few years now and recently adding a Liquid Carbon 2 to my own house a month ago, I have had a few ups and downs that I hope will culminate in a new (to me) addition to my humble headphone rig.

My Liquid Carbon is going back for a volume pot replacement and once it returns I am putting it up for sale along with some headphones and other stuff that I will need to part with in order to bring my finances back in line. In the meantime, if things stay on track, I am picking up a used Liquid Crimson next weekend during Thanksgiving break. While I count the days, I am researching tubes, headphone pairing feedback, and looking for a small audio rack now that this stuff won't really fit on my desk anymore.

Source will be MacBook Pro JRMC going into Audio-GD NFB-1DAC feeding the Liquid Crimson and driving AudioQuest Nighthawk / BeyerDynamic 1990 Pro / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Oppo PM-3. I am so excited to see how these components all play together and then bringing on a high end headphone or two next year, and a super high performance DAC the year after to hopefully hit what will be an end game system for me.

Very excited, just thought I would share and give this thread a bump at the same time.

Speak up Club Crimson! What have you been up to lately? Any new discoveries around tubes, power cords, DAC pairings, headphone pairings, or just some recent observations about music that lights up for you via the Crimson???

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #24 of 43
  So what's up?

Not much action on this thread and anywhere else that I know of.... seems like this wonderful amp deserves a more vocal fan club. After reading about the house of Cavalli for a few years now and recently adding a Liquid Carbon 2 to my own house a month ago, I have had a few ups and downs that I hope will culminate in a new (to me) addition to my humble headphone rig.

My Liquid Carbon is going back for a volume pot replacement and once it returns I am putting it up for sale along with some headphones and other stuff that I will need to part with in order to bring my finances back in line. In the meantime, if things stay on track, I am picking up a used Liquid Crimson next weekend during Thanksgiving break. While I count the days, I am researching tubes, headphone pairing feedback, and looking for a small audio rack now that this stuff won't really fit on my desk anymore.

Source will be MacBook Pro JRMC going into Audio-GD NFB-1DAC feeding the Liquid Crimson and driving AudioQuest Nighthawk / BeyerDynamic 1990 Pro / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Oppo PM-3. I am so excited to see how these components all play together and then bringing on a high end headphone or two next year, and a super high performance DAC the year after to hopefully hit what will be an end game system for me.

Very excited, just thought I would share and give this thread a bump at the same time.

Speak up Club Crimson! What have you been up to lately? Any new discoveries around tubes, power cords, DAC pairings, headphone pairings, or just some recent observations about music that lights up for you via the Crimson???

I have this theory that the Liquid Crimson club is pretty quiet, because the amp is so damned fine sounding that we all spend our free time listening instead of discussing.  You picked one up over thanksgiving and have not posted back yet.  I rest my case!

I have never bothered moving on from the stock tube, taking at their word those who have said that the Liquid Crimson doesn't really change all that much through tube rolling.

I got to the Crimson in a similar way - I bought and waited, and waited.... and waited for my Liquid Carbon, after having heard the Crimson at a meet.  Sold the Carbon after getting the Crimson - it was just redundant after the Crimson arrived.

I have one minor niggle - I find the volume pot travel with my Ethers to be very limited.  7 to about 8:30 or so.  I even bought (and sold) a pair of HD650's to see if the higher impedance would use more of the volume travel.  No joy.  I can't get to 9:00 on the volume knob.  I have found a solution - a Schiit Sys passive preamp.  I use it as an attenuation pad.  Dac to Sys, set at 12:00 to 1:30 or so, to Liquid Crimson.  I get good volume knob travel on the Crimson, and it appears to be sonically transparent. Some may scoff at blending an inexpensive volume pot into the mix that way, but it works nicely for me.  The Sys volume pot is well into the linear region, so I see no real issues with this solution.

If the good doctor offered a reduction of the gain in the low gain setting, I'd probably be all over that.  Mean time, the Sys is solving my only minor issue.

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #25 of 43
Well said my friend, I just love my crimson ( with stock tube ). I use my Crimson every day and and very happy how it makes my cans sound. I have listened so much, that I wore out my tube and I will replace my tube with another gold lion.

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #27 of 43
Well alright alright alright!!! nice to see this thread come alive again!

@aamefford

Nice post and good call, though the last few days have had me quiet due to illness (food poisoning) I spend the first 3 days after getting home from Thanksgiving just stupefied over how good this amp is. I intend to do some pics and write-ups here over time, but I am waiting to settle down as I have so much expectation bias swirling around I just don't trust myself right now even though I would swear on every generation of my family that this amp sounds freaking fantastic.

I like the company, the people involved, the history and the presence here on head-fi (though I have never gotten an answer from anyone as to ideal input voltage on any amp). I love love love the industrial design and aesthetics of the Liquid Crimson, as well as the foot print and general size, kind of like a small full size amp? And of course I fully committed to the house of Cavalli after being floored by the Liquid Carbon. I was kind of hoping to hear them both side by side but I was fortunate to sell and ship the carbon with 24 hours of getting the crimson.

On top of that, there was a healthy dash of "head of household guilt" by spending so much on a headphone amp while my son is looking at colleges and my wife wonders if this upgrade neurosis will ever end :) I drew a line in the sand and declared that if she would support this purchase I would hold firm for at least 5 years, and I intend to honor my promise, especially since part of that deal is up to 2k on a DAC and up to 2k on a top tier headphone at some point in 2017. I never thought I would succumb to this level of the hobby but here I am, making sacrifices in other areas of my habits and hobbies in order to make it happen.

Of my modest headphone collection, the BeyerDynamic DT1990 Pro stood up and took notice of the Crimson the most, raising the bar for how it presented itself and perhaps earning some more staying power in my little home studio. The Nighthawk and ATH-R70x also took big steps forward, but not quite as noticeable in terms of presenting even greater strengths and far less weaknesses than the 1990 did. The PM-3 was just happy and crazy good at it's price point.

After the DAC, it will come down to Elear, HD800S or Ether Flow unless there are some new and noteworthy model introductions over the next 6 months. One of these will replace the Nighthawk as I have vowed to only keep 3 headphones on my desk, one in my backpack (PM-3) and one in my office and ready for travel (Sony MDR-1a soon to be replaced with a Sony MDR-1000x).

I don't know why I keep repeating my grand plans so much, I guess it just feels so good to have an ideal anything so close and within reach. Most of my grand goals and ideas have eluded me throughout my life and this feels like a welcome, albeit somewhat materialistic respite from it all. I am looking forward on getting more into the music and less into the equipment, but the latter is just so much fun to talk about.

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #28 of 43
Well, I'm always listening to my Crimson for sure but to be honest, I just recently found out about this thread (previously only knew the Crimson announcement thread).
Actually the thought of selling it and downgrading to something else has crossed my mind several times because bad thing happened and while not urgent, I might need some fresh funds... But I just don't have the heart to let it go. Too scared.

Quote:

I got to the Crimson in a similar way - I bought and waited, and waited.... and waited for my Liquid Carbon, after having heard the Crimson at a meet.  Sold the Carbon after getting the Crimson - it was just redundant after the Crimson arrived.

I have one minor niggle - I find the volume pot travel with my Ethers to be very limited.  7 to about 8:30 or so.  I even bought (and sold) a pair of HD650's to see if the higher impedance would use more of the volume travel.  No joy.  I can't get to 9:00 on the volume knob.  I have found a solution - a Schiit Sys passive preamp.  I use it as an attenuation pad.  Dac to Sys, set at 12:00 to 1:30 or so, to Liquid Crimson.  I get good volume knob travel on the Crimson, and it appears to be sonically transparent. Some may scoff at blending an inexpensive volume pot into the mix that way, but it works nicely for me.  The Sys volume pot is well into the linear region, so I see no real issues with this solution.

If the good doctor offered a reduction of the gain in the low gain setting, I'd probably be all over that.  Mean time, the Sys is solving my only minor issue.

I got to the Crimson in a different way. Had finally enough money to buy endgame amp for my HD800 after a long decision of whether selling the whole system for 009 or just keep it.
Had Liquid Crimson, DNA Stratus and EC Zana Deux S in the top of my list and I was actually pretty pessimistic on getting the Crimson since it's rarely on sale in the used market.
But certain gentleman unexpectedly offered it to me so here I am.

After that I found a good deal on a Carbon, bought it for the giggles because why not, it was easy to resell it with zero/minimal loss.
Well, having heard both of them, the Crimson obviously stays.

You must like listening at low volume, I assume? My comfortable listening volume with both my HD800 (thru XLR) & HD650 (thru H6.3) is at 11 at low gain. But even at high gain, it would be just right at 10 or so.

Well alright alright alright!!! nice to see this thread come alive again!

@aamefford

Nice post and good call, though the last few days have had me quiet due to illness (food poisoning) I spend the first 3 days after getting home from Thanksgiving just stupefied over how good this amp is. I intend to do some pics and write-ups here over time, but I am waiting to settle down as I have so much expectation bias swirling around I just don't trust myself right now even though I would swear on every generation of my family that this amp sounds freaking fantastic.

Expectation bias? Oh c'mon :)
The first time I started listening to this amp, I could not take my HD800 off my head til 4AM and it continued for a week. Of course normally I would be like "This can't be happening..." but my feeling told the opposite. So yeah, I can understand how you can't even trust yourself right now.

I drew a line in the sand and declared that if she would support this purchase I would hold firm for at least 5 years, and I intend to honor my promise, especially since part of that deal is up to 2k on a DAC and up to 2k on a top tier headphone at some point in 2017.

To be honest I'm kinda bummed with Cavalli's warranty of 1 year. I just hope this thing is solidly built and won't die randomly for 10 years.
$3000 MSRP is a lot of money yo.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #29 of 43
Well said my friend, I just love my crimson ( with stock tube ). I use my Crimson every day and and very happy how it makes my cans sound. I have listened so much, that I wore out my tube and I will replace my tube with another gold lion.

Hello reddog,

What is your favorite headphone from the Crimson? I have a hunch the Utopia/Crimson would be absolutely brilliant. I'd also like to hear how you think the Utopia/Crimson pairing compares with that of the Utopia/Liquid Glass, if you could.

Although I am not in the market for either amp yet, I really love to have a good hybrid amp around, and I could not think of anything higher end than a Crimson in the headphone world.

Thank you.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #30 of 43
Hello reddog,

What is your favorite headphone from the Crimson? I have a hunch the Utopia/Crimson would be absolutely brilliant. I'd also like to hear how you think the Utopia/Crimson pairing compares with that of the Utopia/Liquid Glass, if you could.

Although I am not in the market for either amp yet, I really love to have a good hybrid amp around, and I could not think of anything higher end than a Crimson in the headphone world.

Thank you.
The Liquid Crimson does make the Utopia sing like a muse of old. The soundstage is large and very holographic. The bass is tight, with deep satisfying thud, without muddying up the mids. And the mids are sweet, very sooth, with a touch of edge. Finally the highs are good, with no annoying sybilance. As good as the legendary Liquid Crimson makes the Utopia sound, the phenomenal Liquid Glass makes the Utopia sing like the next coming of god. The soundstage is large, perhaps not as large as the Crimson, it is far more detailed and holographic. Furthermore, with the right tubes, the bass is the deepest sounding, I have ever heard from the Utopia. Likewise the themirs are so sweet and smooth, yet extremely detailed and transparently resolute. And the highs are just fantastic, very detailed, without being bright or seemingly sybilant.
My favorite headphone for the Liquid Crimson, is my HE 1000 (not upgraded). I prefer using the HE1K with my Crimson. I feel my Utopia sound absolutely devine, when driven by the Liquid Glass ( especially with the right tubes). The Utopia sound signature really likes being complimented with some nice tubes. And I need to explore more tubes for the Liquid Glass. That said, I feel the Utopia sounded best, through the Liquid Gold. I am sure, with the right tubes,, the Liquid Glass could get exceed the performance of the Liquid Gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back