Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
Jul 19, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #541 of 691
Thanks runeight... Then I guess a low-mu tube / high-quality pot would help CTH's use w/more sensitive cans.

OT - Famous last words, but after building out the 3 or 4 projects I've in progress, I may be done for a good long while WRT amp & headphone combos (see sig).
I did run across the first headphones that IMO did not pair well w/CTH - 600Ω DT880s.  They had something of a dark pale reminiscent of my "older" driver HD650s when used w/CTH, perhaps having to do with their excessively high impedance. 
OTOH I'm finding the "new" driver HD600s to pair very, very well with my CTH.  All of this WRT my tastes & prefs of course.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #542 of 691
Aug 1, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #543 of 691
Probably very old news now, but I tried my old T1 from my CTH and IMO the combination was not a good one.

Quote:
Is there any technical reason (theoretically) why or why not the CTH amp would work well with the Tesla T1 from Beyerdynamic? I heard this headphone recently and liked it a lot. However, it's expensive and if I bought one it would preclude me from purchasing a new amp anytime in the near future. My first impression was that the bass was a little flabby, as compared to a more powerful amp. Maybe the choice of tube would be a factor here?

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #545 of 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably very old news now, but I tried my old T1 from my CTH and IMO the combination was not a good one.

Yes, far too little info to be useful...  E.g. what tube, what T1s, exactly what made the combo undesirable for you, etc.

I've a lot of experience w/CTHs and w/most info/feedback posted here.  I'm only aware of 2 situations where current-BoM (e.g. those w/330uF C3H) CTHs may be sub-optimal; 1) very efficient cans/IEMs where gain/hiss bits come up (& 150R R18s don't do the trick), and 2) maybe very high-impedance cans like those 600R DT-880s I mention above.  And Beyer's new T1s also come in @ 600R.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #546 of 691
Sorry for the late reply. I just discovered the above questions.

I was using the Ratheon 6GU7 at the time.

To difficult to remember precisely what I did not like about the combination. It was probably congested and ill-defined. I only say this because I remember when I plugged in the SPL Auditor for the first time and it was night and day in relation to the separation of instruments and the clarity of the sound.

Not necessarily recommending the Auditor either. It's obviously a good amp; but I've sold both T1 and Auditor since.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #548 of 691

Quote:
FYI - there's a good chance im selling my entire ortho rig including a CTH made by mrslim

Aww, the Honeymoon is over already? 
eek.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #549 of 691
Going back a while for the quotes below, but whilst working toward trying to thin my heard of CTH tubes I gave the Russian 6N6P (aka "6H6N") another whirl:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/thetubestore/RU-6N6P.pdf

and have to say its a sweet match for much of my music w/my "new" HD600s.  Had a bit too much bass slam w/my dampened D2000s.
Wanted to give another belated thank-you to the guys suggesting it, like these two:
Quote:
Yeah, the Siemens E82CC I have is really nice but I wanted more slam and the feeling of raw power the 6n6p gives. I like the more aggressive presentation for my metal prefs

Quote:
6n6p is really nice.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #550 of 691
So out of all the tubes i have thus far, i keep ending up back on my RCA Cleartop 12AU7 w/ my ATH-ESW9's. The bass feels crisper with this one. 

Tried out the following;
GE 12BH7A
Sylvania 12AU7A
General Electric 5814-A (Five Star)
RCA Cleartop 12AU7

Been looking to find a cheap 6DJ8 on ebay but they are hard to come by, always get outbid
smily_headphones1.gif

6N6P won't work on a CTH without some modification - correct?

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #552 of 691
Quote:
6N6P won't work on a CTH without some modification - correct?

Although you may need > 1 amp 24VAC adapter for 6N6P the real concern is the impact on your heater circuit parts for it 750ma+ draw.  That's just within default BoM L1H/L2H ratings & we'd like to see at around 20% headroom hence the recommended max 600ma heater draw.  Would also like to see some sort of heatsink on your ICH if using high-draw heater tubes.
Our friend sachu seems to like to push any limits
wink.gif

And its unnecessary to "stress" your little CTH, the large majority of tubes that work in it draw less than our rec max.  Some of my favs are Amperex 6922 PQ, Amperex 8416, Amperex/BB 6DJ8, Phillips JAN or Raytheon 5814, 12BH7A, Raytheon 6GU7, Siemens ECC82.

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #553 of 691
Chris, sorry to threadjack but wanted to make sure you got my PM.  There is a meet in White Plains on Nov 20 if you can make it (or even if you can't make it, it will still go on).

I've been using my Grados more with my CTH and have noticed some hum.  I can usually get it to go away if I move components around a little or move wires.  It seems the Grado cable picks up noise easier than other headphones.  Has anyone had similar experiences?  Any fixes?

I also recently sold my Denons and am looking for another headphone.  How are the high impedence Beyerdynamic headphones with the CTH?  Good match?

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #554 of 691
Hi Erik,
Sorry I didn't reply to your PM about the meet....  I wasn't sure I was going but you've given me one more reason to attend
wink.gif
   Please bring your gear & I'd like to see/hear what you are talking about w/your Grados - they are on the more sensitive side compared to other popular headphones.
Haven't experienced the wire-arrangement-leads-to-hum bit, but I imagine keeping space between audio & A/C wires might help.

I'll bring the "fancy" CTH from my sig & we'll see how that does in comparison w/your CTH.  If the fancy clears up your grado / hum issues we'll just trade 'em because my cans aren't so sensitive.

RE: CTH w/600R Beyers - Mentioned elsewhere those were the first set of cans I did not like w/CTH.  Perhaps its best to stick w/cans < 400R ?

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #555 of 691

Quote:
I'll bring the "fancy" CTH from my sig & we'll see how that does in comparison w/your CTH.  If the fancy clears up your grado / hum issues we'll just trade 'em because my cans aren't so sensitive.

RE: CTH w/600R Beyers - Mentioned elsewhere those were the first set of cans I did not like w/CTH.  Perhaps its best to stick w/cans < 400R ?

You have 600 ohm Beyers in your sig with the CTH so I thought maybe it was a decent match after all, but maybe the "fancy" part is the kicker. 
wink.gif

Looking forward to hearing the Fancy CTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back