cavalli bijou or soha ii? (no response from amp section, maybe here then?)
Jul 10, 2011 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hello im sean

100+ Head-Fier
okay i've narrowed it down between these two. I've heard great things about both amps. They would both have the stock hardware, maybe ill roll tubes later on though. I have ultrasone pro 900's as my main set of phones right now. I'll also be running it through my NFB-12 dac. So the ultrasones are lower impedance, does this mean the bijou would not be good? i really want the mids to come out more and as big of a soundstage as possible. So i guess this is an all tube vs hybrid battle, but im really not sure which would be better for me, ive heard all tube amps have great mids and sound stage but rolled off highs and lows, and are not good for lower impedance phones. I've heard hybrids are the best of both worlds (solid state and tube) however with not as great soundstage/mids as an all tube amp. So which would you guys recommend for my current set up? thanks again!

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
okay i've narrowed it down between these two. I've heard great things about both amps. They would both have the stock hardware, maybe ill roll tubes later on though. I have ultrasone pro 900's as my main set of phones right now. I'll also be running it through my NFB-12 dac. So the ultrasones are lower impedance, does this mean the bijou would not be good? i really want the mids to come out more and as big of a soundstage as possible. So i guess this is an all tube vs hybrid battle, but im really not sure which would be better for me, ive heard all tube amps have great mids and sound stage but rolled off highs and lows, and are not good for lower impedance phones. I've heard hybrids are the best of both worlds (solid state and tube) however with not as great soundstage/mids as an all tube amp. So which would you guys recommend for my current set up? thanks again!

If you don't have any DIY experiene the Bijou isn't something I'd suggest, since you will have to deal with ~400V. If you think you can handle that, a Bijou will cost more to build than a SOHA as well.

That said generally hybrids are better for low impedence and tubes for high, but then again there are people who run their grados from a tube amp and are happy with it.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 5
There is no danger as long as you're careful.

I am in the habit of being a bit nonchalant around diy stuff, but I shouldn't be that way around an amp like the bijou.
Thats the point.

Also consider EHHA while you're at it.
Honestly, I would be trying to decide between bijou and EHHA.

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 5
Any voltage greater than about 50V has the capacity to stop your heart (or at least send it into defibrulation).

Just be careful. The one hand rule is always a good one to follow. That and discharging your caps before attempting any rework.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back