Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Nov 18, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #76 of 2,966
I've just entered hour 66 67 of burn-in.  
smile.gif

EDIT:  Oops, bad at maths.

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #78 of 2,966
Is the Cavalli Liquid Carbon a forward sounding amp? It was described this way by someone who just received theirs in the other Cavalli Liquid thread.
First time reading someone describe it that way. Kind of worried. 
It may have been me but not to worry. This is nothing like the Schiit forward edgy sound I hear from my bifrost uber / Lyr2 stack. I'm breaking it in with hd800's usually on my head. Love it.

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #79 of 2,966
It may have been me but not to worry. This is nothing like the Schiit forward edgy sound I hear from my bifrost uber / Lyr2 stack. I'm breaking it in with hd800's usually on my head. Love it.

No it's someone else who just posted. But thanks for the assurance. 

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #80 of 2,966
  Is the Cavalli Liquid Carbon a forward sounding amp? It was described this way by someone who just received theirs in the other Cavalli Liquid thread.
First time reading someone describe it that way. Kind of worried. 

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but was is "forward sounding"? I really want to know.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #81 of 2,966

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but was is "forward sounding"? I really want to know.

I think it has to do with regard to how the soundstage is voiced.  A better word maybe an intimate or laid back presentation.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #83 of 2,966
That's right! The sound is intimate. "Front row" presentation.

It's probably less scary for people to read that, than forward. I didn't mean forward as in aggressive (like people would describe the Mjolnir), just forward as in the singer is right next to you and the sound stage is enveloping you.
I rather a more laid-back presentation, where everything is pushed back (sitting in row 10). That's my preference, not the amp's weakness.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #84 of 2,966

But "forward" and "laid back" are opposites. 

I'm sure both are possible depending on source and source material. The LC is transparent and adds nothing and takes nothing away.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #85 of 2,966

This might help (from the glossary of terms http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary , just so we are all on the same page):

Forward(ness) - Similar to an aggressive sound, a sense of image being projected in front of the speakers and of music being forced upon the listener. Compare "Laid-back".
Aggressive - Forward and bright sonic character
Laid-back - Recessed, distant-sounding, having exaggerated depth, usually because of a dished midrange. Compare "Forward".

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #86 of 2,966
Thanks you guys for helping me understand better. It's very helpful. I'm about 30 hours into my LC and I would say that at this moment it is a little forward, especially on vocals. But this is an initial impression only and expect it to need the 150 or so hours Alex says it needs in order to find its voice. So far, plenty of power and punch, just needs to really settle in and find the depth I believe will be there.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #87 of 2,966
Nov 18, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #88 of 2,966
  That's right! The sound is intimate. "Front row" presentation.

It's probably less scary for people to read that, than forward. I didn't mean forward as in aggressive (like people would describe the Mjolnir), just forward as in the singer is right next to you and the sound stage is enveloping you.
I rather a more laid-back presentation, where everything is pushed back (sitting in row 10). That's my preference, not the amp's weakness.

Much better. That puts me in ease and puts a smile on my face. 
biggrin.gif
  I love front low. 

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #89 of 2,966
I have a 3 hour window that no one will be home to receive it from FedEx Home Delivery. I am calling in all my "good boy" markers, hoping the audio gods will be kind to me.

"Pretty, pretty please, with Liquid carbon on top"!

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #90 of 2,966
Supposed to come tomorrow, I'm prepared to HATE IT!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back