Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Nov 23, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #181 of 2,966
That would be of interest, what do you gain when you use the LC instead of the Pulse amp (if anything)?

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #182 of 2,966
That would be of interest, what do you gain when you use the LC instead of the Pulse amp (if anything)?

More dynamic, punchy and engaging for me. It is also clearer and sounds more detailed.

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #183 of 2,966
Interesting, thanks.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #184 of 2,966
I was playing around a bit with the gain switch and my TH900's. In the lower gain mode I seem to get a bit more air or slightly distant perspective. In the higher gain mode you move a few rows up and get a bit more punch to the drums/bass. I like the perspective of the lower gain mode, but the drive of the high. For now, I'm leaving it in the higher mode.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #185 of 2,966
So, I went back to the LC manual, it recommends burning in 150 hours WITHOUT HEADPHONES ATTACHED! That is different from the impressions I had gotten on the LC threads, including, I thing, from Alex. My impression was that burning in with balanced headphones would be best, followed by no headphone if that couldn't be managed, followed by doing it single ended, which would be the least desirable way to do the burn in. Did I get this wrong? I've been doing the balanced burn in for about 48 hours now with my HE-1000 connected to the LC (iPod Nano as the source on shuffle). Have about 5 more days to reach this 150 hour point, but thinking maybe I should disconnect the headphones.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #186 of 2,966
So, I went back to the LC manual, it recommends burning in 150 hours WITHOUT HEADPHONES ATTACHED! That is different from the impressions I had gotten on the LC threads, including, I thing, from Alex. My impression was that burning in with balanced headphones would be best, followed by no headphone if that couldn't be managed, followed by doing it single ended, which would be the least desirable way to do the burn in. Did I get this wrong? I've been doing the balanced burn in for about 48 hours now with my HE-1000 connected to the LC (iPod Nano as the source on shuffle). Have about 5 more days to reach this 150 hour point, but thinking maybe I should disconnect the headphones.

I think you have it right burn-in with headphones connected would be the best IMO, however, it is RECOMMENDED that you disconnect the headphones when not listening. Probably in case something happens?? Just guessing there.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #187 of 2,966

I've already done 138Hrs with balanced HP plugged in. So far so good.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #188 of 2,966
Maybe, @bearFNF, but like what? A surge of volume or power? Wouldn't that be as likely to happen while you are listening (and be bad for your ears and headphones)? Wouldn't that be faulty design of some sort? Didn't I read you need the amp to have a load for the break in to do its thing? Inquiring minds...

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #189 of 2,966
Alex and Co. contacted me immediately and 2 hours later I received a shipping notice that I will receive a package on Wednesday (2-day shipping) and a return label.

How's that for great customer service? I will report back on the day of Thanks.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #190 of 2,966
so after burning these in for 7 days (Tuesday to Tuesday) I finally hooked them up for proper listening.

Running Mojo > LC > LCD-2F right now. Oh boy, 7 months of waiting did not prepare me for this. First impressions? Incredible detail and texture top to bottom, excellent dynamics. Top end is slightly sweetened, still plenty of detail but no fatigue. Pretty much in sync with what other people have been claiming. 

My only issue is that I do have an audible hum with my Roxannes, even without a source plugged in / 1x gain / lowest volume. Roxannes are 119dB/mW 15ohms. So they are right up there with the most sensitive iems. It's not a huge issue cause I mostly listen to my Roxanne's straight out of the mojo/phone but for science i gave them a go. Any music drowns the hum out. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #191 of 2,966
  so after burning these in for 7 days (Tuesday to Tuesday) I finally hooked them up for proper listening.

Running Mojo > LC > LCD-2F right now. Oh boy, 7 months of waiting did not prepare me for this. First impressions? Incredible detail and texture top to bottom, excellent dynamics. Top end is slightly sweetened, still plenty of detail but no fatigue. Pretty much in sync with what other people have been claiming. 

My only issue is that I do have an audible hum with my Roxannes, even without a source plugged in / 1x gain / lowest volume. Roxannes are 119dB/mW 15ohms. So they are right up there with the most sensitive iems. It's not a huge issue cause I mostly listen to my Roxanne's straight out of the mojo/phone but for science i gave them a go. Any music drowns the hum out. 

Wow. I'm glad to hear that the Mojo goes well with the LC. I'm awaiting my LC delivery now but I've been considering the Mojo as well as the ALO CDM Amp/DAC. I am an Audeze LCD-X and iPhone 6 owner.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #192 of 2,966

You running Roxanne's single-ended or balanced?

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #194 of 2,966
  SE, using a furutech F63(G) 3.5 to 6.35 adapter 

If you can, you might try balanced. IIRC the noise floor SE is about -108-110db which is why you can hear it. The noise floor balanced should be -120db possibly lower.

So you might find quiet in balanced mode. :)

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #195 of 2,966

If you can, you might try balanced. IIRC the noise floor SE is about -108-110db which is why you can hear it. The noise floor balanced should be -120db possibly lower.

So you might find quiet in balanced mode. :)

Ah, thanks for the quick reply!

I'll have to find a set of balanced cables to try them out. Since i didnt get any of the AK collaboration variants I only got an SE cable with my customs. JH and their connectors/bass attenuators = aftermarket cable maker headaches everywhere

Regardless, the amp is stunning. Incredible feat of engineering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back