Cavalli Audio
Oct 18, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #31 of 57
Alex,
But hey, Alex.... If you should have the opportunity to reenter the market at some point, on a smaller scale and with less time investment, with perhaps only the Tungsten --I can imagine you would be greeted by a great number of smiling Head-Fi faces:smile_phones:

I agree that the Liquid Tungsten was wonderful. I also wish for the Liquid Ambience prototype that was shown at this year's CanJam SoCal. That was a really nice sounding tube hybrid amp!

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #32 of 57
May you find new adventures and new challenges in the years to come.

I've enjoyed your products and you've even loaned me a headphone or two at meets. You were always professional and willing to help.

I truly wish you peace and grace as you close one chapter or your life.

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #33 of 57
I'm new to the hobby and just ordered my first headphone amp: the Massdrop CTH + SDAC. Part of the reason I ordered it was the great price but equally important was your reputation, Alex, and the tweaks that you made to the Massdrop version.

As so many others have, I wish you all the best going forward. Enjoy the precious time with your grandchildren and family.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #34 of 57
I wish him a happy retirement but this is hardly fair to his customers. It will not be cheap to get of any of those amp serviced. Glad I didn't keep the LC or buy the LAu.

Everyone has to make personal decisions in their life and what fits them best, however, I do feel Alex could have been a little more personal about this. I have just found out about this from a friend and believe Alex owed it to his customers to at least send a personal email and possibly if funds permitted to provide some further warranty with the company he is sending us to; obviously not "lifetime" as originally intended. This is a little harsh saying I have personal needs, sayonora and by the way your lifetime warranty for that LAu is gone.

I wish him the best but also would have like a more personal goodbye.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #35 of 57
Thought that the LAu doesn't come with a Lifetime Warranty. Well, maybe those original $6000 units do come with one.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #36 of 57
Thought that the LAu doesn't come with a Lifetime Warranty. Well, maybe those original $6000 units do come with one.

whatever. Just my opinion, I think Alex could have handled this better. Some us have big bucks invested, have been loyal customers and while people may want to thank and wish him the best of luck in retirement without condition, I too wish him the best but would have been liked it better if he showed more respect for his customers on his way out.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #38 of 57
whatever. Just my opinion, I think Alex could have handled this better. Some us have big bucks invested, have been loyal customers and while people may want to thank and wish him the best of luck in retirement without condition, I too wish him the best but would have been liked it better if he showed more respect for his customers on his way out.

Respect for his customers? You got the wrong guy.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #39 of 57
Respect for his customers? You got the wrong guy.

No I think I got the right guy but you choose to parse what I said. Your snarky retort was as if I was accusing Alex of not “respecting his customers” in general whereas my comment was clearly about him showing more respect for his customers on his way out.

A personal email to his customers with the same explanation and a more humble statement regarding no more warranty would have been “respectful” instead of finding out about this third hand.

But to each his own. I work in a different way and despite my dissatisfaction with his “notice” I wish him the best and will continue to enjoy his product.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #40 of 57
Yeah, never had use for a dedicated headphone amp until now. The LCX will be the first (and maybe last) one that I get, as it has the right features and price point for the sound quality I'm looking for. Fwiw, I'm glad the designs will still have life even if the company that sprung them will be moving on.

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #41 of 57
Yeah, never had use for a dedicated headphone amp until now. The LCX will be the first (and maybe last) one that I get, as it has the right features and price point for the sound quality I'm looking for. Fwiw, I'm glad the designs will still have life even if the company that sprung them will be moving on.
Yes, but Massdrop cares most about cost and that can be bad for any design. If price dictates the performance, a decent design can sound harsh and not good.

Oct 20, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #42 of 57
Yes, but Massdrop cares most about cost and that can be bad for any design. If price dictates the performance, a decent design can sound harsh and not good.

Their main priority probably is to keep costs down to actually sell more units but I don't think it has to be at the expense of sound quality. (All the companies currently delivering great sounding audio at a reasonable cost might agree.) I mean, looking the form factor, you can see the LCX is totally different from the LC and it's likely in order to keep costs down. Now if you have a problem with the sound quality of Massdrop's audio partnerships, I don't know what to tell you... my personal experience has been largely very positive, and both parties in this case are claiming a virtually indistinguishable sound difference. I have no reason to assume this won't sound like the original LC.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #44 of 57
Yes, but can u expect vishay dale resistors and audiophile grade capacitors in their amps? How about a linear regulated PSU rather than Walwart switching. Not to mention jacks, OFC wiring, and quality volume pot. Those components can contribute to a more refined sound quality and better overall tones. A really good regulated PSU will allow to hear much deeper soundstage for instance. Even 3 oz copper board vs 2 oz PCB board can also lower a noise floor. I just can't see how they can do it for under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back