Cavalli Audio Presents: Pocket your Portable - Naming Contest
Nov 22, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #136 of 152
Congratulations Mikko!

Enjoy your named Cavalli Liquid Sparks

This contest was fun, only thing is I'd hate to see my suggested names on future products without a reward, a pro bono @Soundfreaq , for peace of mind please tell me my suggestions suck .....

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #137 of 152
A note from one of the judges:

I wanted to congratulate many of you with some pure genius when it came to creative naming options. It didn't make the judging process easy and it took several rounds of deliberation and trimming some truly great possibilities before we could unanimously agree on the winning name. For those who did not include "liquid" in the title, do not be disheartened 2/5 of the final contenders were not liquid anything. There was an overwhelming response to this competition and the final tally was over 1100 entries. On average most of the contenders were suggested in duplicates.

A very big congratulations to Mikko L who managed to get his suggestion in first.  

I enjoyed participating in this competition, thanks to you all.  Given the sound of this amp, anyone who buys one will be a winner too. 
atsmile.gif

..dB

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #138 of 152
  A note from one of the judges:

I wanted to congratulate many of you with some pure genius when it came to creative naming options. It didn't make the judging process easy and it took several rounds of deliberation and trimming some truly great possibilities before we could unanimously agree on the winning name. For those who did not include "liquid" in the title, do not be disheartened 2/5 of the final contenders were not liquid anything. There was an overwhelming response to this competition and the final tally was over 1100 entries. On average most of the contenders were suggested in duplicates.

A very big congratulations to Mikko L who managed to get his suggestion in first.  

I enjoyed participating in this competition, thanks to you all.  Given the sound of this amp, anyone who buys one will be a winner too. 
atsmile.gif

..dB

Don't tell me that! I put in lots of non-liquid entries. Now I'll never know if I was 'this close.'

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #139 of 152
I don't get what "Spark" has to do with it being the first portable piece of gear in the Cavalli line-up. I was under the assumption that the name should signify its portability and versatility, not just "come up with another element that hasn't been used before..."

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #140 of 152
I don't get what "Spark" has to do with it being the first portable piece of gear in the Cavalli line-up. I was under the assumption that the name should signify its portability and versatility, not just "come up with another element that hasn't been used before..."

I am with you, and as much as I also wanted the name to make some senses....liquid spark ? It is not even possible lol. But it is there products, and I was given a chance. Unfortunately :grinning:

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #142 of 152
Nov 22, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #144 of 152
Nov 22, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #145 of 152
To me, Cavalli's amplifier names always reflected a top-performing attribute or substance (Lightning or Gold), combined with "liquid" - an attribute not normally associated with said substance. 

When you think of lightning, you don't think of liquid. You think of something awe-inspiring, powerful and an incredible source of energy. Liquid makes one emote images of smoothness, clarity, a stable state, non-volatile. So the names have been a dichotomy of sorts to combine descriptions of top performance, with something not normally associated with said attribute - being liquid. 

So to me, the Liquid Lightning, for instance, is a balance of raw power and performance, tamed by liquid's qualities of smoothness, to create a new equilibrium that is unheard of and remarkable :)

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #146 of 152
  But glass is made out of liquid, it becomes solid as it cools.

Ah, I knew it had a liquid form, just liquid in my mind usually means water for some reason.

To me, Cavalli's amplifier names always reflected a top-performing attribute or substance (Lightning or Gold), combined with "liquid" - an attribute not normally associated with said substance. 

When you think of lightning, you don't think of liquid. You think of something awe-inspiring, powerful and an incredible source of energy. Liquid makes one emote images of smoothness, clarity, a stable state, non-volatile. So the names have been a dichotomy of sorts to combine descriptions of top performance, with something not normally associated with said attribute - being liquid. 

So to me, the Liquid Lightning, for instance, is a balance of raw power and performance, tamed by liquid's qualities of smoothness, to create a new equilibrium that is unheard of and remarkable :)

Lol, I wish I would have known that earlier xD. I think most of the entries were trying to combine liquid with a name that matches with it, not the other way around 
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #147 of 152
  Ah, I knew it had a liquid form, just liquid in my mind usually means water for some reason.

Lol, I wish I would have known that earlier xD. I think most of the entries were trying to combine liquid with a name that matches with it, not the other way around 
biggrin.gif

Oh this is entirely just my take on it, my opinion - which I had before I ever worked with Cavalli Audio. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to think about the naming. It's like art, completely subjective and meaningful to each in their own regard. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #148 of 152
Liquid Spark is a great name for the portable. It's a spark that will get a lot more people exposed to, and able to afford, the Cavalli sound. The spark that starts the discovery that there is something special in that style of sound. The spark that sets in motion the realization that paying $2K+ for the big Cavalli amps is well worth it.

In hindsight, maybe Liquid Spark would have been a good name for the Liquid Carbon and Liquid Flint the name for the portable. The flint is what causes the spark that evolves to the fire and lightning.

The liquid theme is so appropriate for the Cavalli sound. The sound I hear with Cavalli amps is a harmony that flows with the spirit of the music. At times it seems I'm surfing on or in the music. There is a lot of feeling of flow in the sound. Very liquid.

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #149 of 152

I know Donald can answer this, but he's way busy so I'll chime in with my thoughts on it for now.

First, it's important to remember that Cavalli's first commercially available amp was the Liquid Fire.  I've been spending a LOT of time field-testing the portable, and given its SUPERB SQ, I would easily say that this sets a new benchmark for portable headphone amplification.  So if someone came up with a name that was indicative of this amp igniting a whole new chapter for Cavalli Audio, while harkening back to Cavalli's legacy (spark/fire), that's just fine with me.  
smile.gif

Also, sparks - as things go - are pretty tiny little things.

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #150 of 152

I know Donald can answer this, but he's way busy so I'll chime in with my thoughts on it for now.

First, it's important to remember that Cavalli's first commercially available amp was the Liquid Fire.  I've been spending a LOT of time field-testing the portable, and given its SUPERB SQ, I would easily say that this sets a new benchmark for portable headphone amplification.  So if someone came up with a name that was indicative of this amp igniting a whole new chapter for Cavalli Audio, while harkening back to Cavalli's legacy (spark/fire), that's just fine with me.  
smile.gif

Also, sparks - as things go - are pretty tiny little things.

I already had my question answered, but to address what you said:

Firstly, I have no doubt the Spark is something special in terms of SQ - Cavalli is known for their brilliant sounding devices, everyone I know that tested out their products can attest to this.

Secondly, there's (almost) no way for the contestants to know what the Spark sounded like during the duration of the contest. So even if "Spark" was chosen for the reason you said, it would be a lucky coincidence at best, given that not everyone (or very few, actually) has the opportunity to field test the product like you do.

Thirdly, that reason would only work if people new it was 'igniting a whole new chapter'. Just the name "Spark" shows none of that connection, unless you had prior knowledge of the reason to begin with.

To put it simply, when some ignorant idiot like me sees the name "Spark", I definitely wouldn't guess that it was referring to the ignition of a whole new chapter for Cavalli Audio. I believe naming the product after the noun referred to is better than naming it after the verb (Chapter > Spark).

Sparks being tiny things is a good reason. But sparks also disappear quickly - let's not give bad luck to the amp's lifetime unless we have to 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back