Cavalli Audio - Liquid Fire
Jun 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 148

runeight

Member of the Trade: Cavalli Audio
Folks, I'm creating this LF thread to discuss the current LF and possible future incarnations of it.

Many of you have written privately saying how highly you regard the LF. Some of you have decided that it's the best headphone amp around and have stopped looking for another amp. Some of you have not quite gotten happy with its looks. Many of you have commented in the regular LF thread.

In this thread I'll be telling you why the LF looks like it does and where it might go next as Rev 2 takes shape. I hope to get your input on what you'd like to see in Rev 2. Might not be possible to do everything, but I expect it will be possible to do some things.

If any one is interested about where the LF looks and design came from, let me know and I'll explain. And then we can talk about other things LF and Rev 2.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 148
Thanks for making this thread, doc. And thanks for bringing such a fantastic amp to the market.
I owned one for about 6 months. And loved it.
My reason for selling was that it became, electronically speaking, a dead end in my rig.

So, obviously, switchable input and a pre out would be superb additions to the LF.
I know i would still own mine if it had them...

:D

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 148
Yes, this input has been very consistent and both will probably be included in Rev 2. The new Liquid Glass amp will have these features and their inclusion in that amp will set the stage for putting them in LF2.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 148
Yeah those 2 things. I'm fine with just a Preout (as you know, Alex) as I'm also okay with running a nice line router for inputs.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 148
Alex, is it possible to send in my unit and have you mod it as a headphone amp plus preamp, at a fee? I have recently up-ed my speaker system and would like to see how the LF would fare with my McIntosh C2300 preamp.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 148
Heck I would have done that long ago. :D

Quote:
Alex, is it possible to send in my unit and have you mod it as a headphone amp plus preamp, at a fee? I have recently up-ed my speaker system and would like to see how the LF would fare with my McIntosh C2300 preamp.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 148
Any comments on the TKD 2511 attenuator in the LF? Did your listening tests find that this is a good volume control? Did you consider any others, stepped or non-stepped? Thanks.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 148
Quote:

googleli, I wish that I could say yes, but to do this correctly would not be an easy mod. By correctly, I mean with a switchable output for either headphones or preamp. Otherwise, it is possible to make a short cable with a phone plug to go into the amp and then split to RCA jacks and an inline headphone jack. But I assume that this is not the solution you want because then both headphones and preamp are being driven at the same time. It is not an optimal or even a good solution. 
smile.gif

An alternative is to use the #2 jack with a mating cable from phone plug to stereo RCA jacks. This is not a bad solution because a preamp needs some output impedance if it's driving cables. The raw LF output is less than 1ohm. The #2 jack with the resistors would have a 50R output impedance. This is better for a preamp.

BTW, you guys may not know that the 50R resistors at the #2 jack are Vishay zero capacitance, zero inductance resistors. They are custom made for each LF production run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back