Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Aug 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #1,891 of 2,306
Quote:
Hmm, who gets to be the judge :wink: ..dB

If you want to send me a quad of the EATs, I'm happy to oblige in my LF. 
smile.gif
 That said, I've never heard a new issue tube beat out a really good NOS tube.

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,892 of 2,306
Quote:
Hmm, who gets to be the judge :wink: ..dB

No one, I guess, because the 803S in the pics are 12AX7s, which are different from the 6922s that the Liquid Fire utilizes. But I do have a vintage quad of Telefunken CCa's sitting in my LF.
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #1,893 of 2,306
:) , that was just the image from the article, the company does the same for 6922, I merely used the article as concept. My personal experience has always been that NOS have the edge on new production but some of the new production are really very good. So in theory - you take the best NOS and make it even better ..dB

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #1,894 of 2,306
Quote:

Lol sell everything in your sig and you'll have enough for two of them after your shipping costs.

sold them in my signature vince to pay for the w3000anv. I sold my sa8004 and two of the three i had for slae so the w3000anv is debt free. I am at my max now again. I am taking a break from selling and looking foe 3 nice 6922 for my CSP2 to roll but not those prices. I may spring for some european NOS but the Golden Lions are still going strong.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #1,895 of 2,306
Frank I we need a pic of the CSP2+. Mine is listed as "Parts Pulled" so I need a fix!  
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #1,898 of 2,306
+1 JJ's still going strong here
I have some tungsram E88CC Red tubes at my disposal,anyone know if they are superior to the JJ's ??
I mainly listen to rock & metal.
I have my LF on Vibrapods + cones (with the base of the vibrapods on the underside of the unit) and it's a pain in the ass to install those under the LF,would like to know if it's worth the hassle.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #1,899 of 2,306
Improved seperation and clarity. That's about it. They're an improvement, but not a huge one.

Quote:
+1 JJ's still going strong here
I have some tungsram E88CC Red tubes at my disposal,anyone know if they are superior to the JJ's ??
I mainly listen to rock & metal.
I have my LF on Vibrapods + cones (with the base of the vibrapods on the underside of the unit) and it's a pain in the ass to install those under the LF,would like to know if it's worth the hassle.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #1,900 of 2,306
Sep 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,901 of 2,306
I'm listening to Steven Wilson's remix of Tarkus by ELP.  I ripped the High Res  DVDA to file.  This is just incredible listening.  Mr. Steven Wilson gets all the percussive elements perfectly of the drums and keyboard.  Bass is just better, everything more clear.  Just like his Aqualung remix it is like hearing it for the first time.  Beautiful!!  Of course the Fire............Liquid Fire that is just makes this all just sing!!!!!!!!!

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #1,902 of 2,306
I like the sound of the Siemens, but at least in my LF, the tubes I bought emit a lot of microphonic noise.  The noise ranges from a low level haze that clouds up the sound, to a high-pitched ringing.  I bought 2 sets of tubes from 2 different sellers, and both have the same problem.

The noise goes away temporarily if I tap either the 1st tube (if the noise is in the left channel) or the 2nd tube (if it's in the right channel).  It's really annoying.  I ordered the EAT Cool Dampers that dB mentioned a few posts back, so I'm praying that those will fix the problem.  The cheap tube rings from tubedepot.com don't seem to do much, but the ones I got are also so loose when fitted on the tubes that they fall off easily.

It seems that if you can request tubes tested for low noise, you may be able to minimize the risk that you'll have the same problem.  Or else, the problem is in my particular LF unit.  I haven't heard the noise with the stock tubes, which can actually sound clearer because of this issue.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #1,904 of 2,306
Quote:
I like the sound of the Siemens, but at least in my LF, the tubes I bought emit a lot of microphonic noise.  The noise ranges from a low level haze that clouds up the sound, to a high-pitched ringing.  I bought 2 sets of tubes from 2 different sellers, and both have the same problem.

The noise goes away temporarily if I tap either the 1st tube (if the noise is in the left channel) or the 2nd tube (if it's in the right channel).  It's really annoying.  I ordered the EAT Cool Dampers that dB mentioned a few posts back, so I'm praying that those will fix the problem.  The cheap tube rings from tubedepot.com don't seem to do much, but the ones I got are also so loose when fitted on the tubes that they fall off easily.

It seems that if you can request tubes tested for low noise, you may be able to minimize the risk that you'll have the same problem.  Or else, the problem is in my particular LF unit.  I haven't heard the noise with the stock tubes, which can actually sound clearer because of this issue.

Usually the high pitched ringing is the tube going bad.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #1,905 of 2,306
But these are supposed to be NOS and don't have that many hours on them.  Is that possible?

Correction to my last post:  tapping the 3rd tube silences the noise in the right channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back