Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
May 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #1,351 of 2,306
Speaking of which...I think I have a shiny new set of Tungsram Reds at my door from mwilson today...

EDIT: Also...You know what I want MH. Then again, I probably can't buy until Friday anyway even if you post impressions tomorrow. :p

Quote:
Great write up Nick! It certainly looks like a great amp in a small package. I have been tossing around the idea of picking up one for the office, or our extended family trips out west to visit my wife's family.

On other news....your (I guess my) LF has just arrived here in The Great White North (Canada
tongue.gif
) this afternoon and should be out to me tomorrow. Can't wait!

May 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #1,352 of 2,306
Quote:
Speaking of which...I think I have a shiny new set of Tungsram Reds at my door from mwilson today...

EDIT: Also...You know what I want MH. Then again, I probably can't buy until Friday anyway even if you post impressions tomorrow. :p

Heard loud and clear....I will post impressions hopefully by tomorrow evening. Would do it sooner, but ISO Audit time this week at work.
confused.gif

May 2, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #1,353 of 2,306
So are there any websites that sell tubes which people have used and like?  The ones I've found so far with decent stocks of 6922s are thetubestore.com and tubedepot.com.  Or do most people just buy them used off of people on the FS forums here or Audiogon?

Does anyone have an opinion on any of the tubes listed here or here, other than the Siemens?  I'm thinking about the Tungsram E88CC, mainly because of the price, but if anyone wants to try and convince me that they're not a significant improvement over the stock JJs, or that I should just spend the extra money on the Siemens, I'd like to hear some impressions.

May 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #1,354 of 2,306
So are there any websites that sell tubes which people have used and like?  The ones I've found so far with decent stocks of 6922s are thetubestore.com and tubedepot.com.  Or do most people just buy them used off of people on the FS forums here or Audiogon?

Does anyone have an opinion on any of the tubes listed here or here, other than the Siemens?  I'm thinking about the Tungsram E88CC, mainly because of the price, but if anyone wants to try and convince me that they're not a significant improvement over the stock JJs, or that I should just spend the extra money on the Siemens, I'd like to hear some impressions.

I should have Tungsram impressions soon as I have some on the way. Sounds like MH will have Gold Lion impressions soon (almost same price as the Tungsram).

As for used tubes doesn't The Cable Co do used tubes?

May 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #1,357 of 2,306

Quote:
I should have Tungsram impressions soon as I have some on the way. Sounds like MH will have Gold Lion impressions soon (almost same price as the Tungsram).
As for used tubes doesn't The Cable Co do used tubes?

Cool, looking forward to your impressions.  The Cable Co does sell used tubes, but the selection seems limited.

I know one poster earlier said that the 1st and 3rd tubes make the most difference, do most people agree that it's worth swapping out just 2 of the LF's tubes?  I think I could afford either 2 Siemens E88CC tubes or 4 of the Tungsram.  Any thoughts on which change would lead to a more significant improvement?

May 2, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,358 of 2,306
That was me mentioning #1 and 3 having the most impact on sound, based on what Cavalli Audio emailed me a while ago. I am by no means a fan of mixing tubes, but my personal listening experience is that Siemens in slots 1 and 3 along with stock JJs in 2 and 4 will sound better than an all-Tungsram quad. 

Quote:
I know one poster earlier said that the 1st and 3rd tubes make the most difference, do most people agree that it's worth swapping out just 2 of the LF's tubes?  I think I could afford either 2 Siemens E88CC tubes or 4 of the Tungsram.  Any thoughts on which change would lead to a more significant improvement?

May 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,359 of 2,306
Just picked up my tubes from the mailbox. I have to go to work today and it's a closing shift so I won't be able to post any impressions.

I do however have the day off tomorrow and that will be my primary concern. I'm looking forward to spending a few more hours with the JJs before I say bye bye to them so I know what kind of an impact the Tungsrams make.

May 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #1,360 of 2,306
Quote:
That was me mentioning #1 and 3 having the most impact on sound, based on what Cavalli Audio emailed me a while ago. I am by no means a fan of mixing tubes, but my personal listening experience is that Siemens in slots 1 and 3 along with stock JJs in 2 and 4 will sound better than an all-Tungsram quad. 

This matches my experience as well. I ended up getting a quad of CCa (not perfectly matched, but two very similar pairs), but I think I would have been perfectly happy with a strong pair of CCa in 1 & 3 and, say, a pair of Gold Lion reissues in 2 and 4.

May 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #1,361 of 2,306
Quote:

This matches my experience as well. I ended up getting a quad of CCa (not perfectly matched, but two very similar pairs), but I think I would have been perfectly happy with a strong pair of CCa in 1 & 3 and, say, a pair of Gold Lion reissues in 2 and 4.

What would you say are the greatest changes with the CCa as compared to the stock tubes in the LF?

Thanks

May 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #1,362 of 2,306
Quote:
What would you say are the greatest changes with the CCa as compared to the stock tubes in the LF?

Thanks

Honestly, I don't remember. It's been months since I listened to the stock tubes, and even then it was only for a few hours.

If it helps, here are some impressions I posted last week about the tubes in my regular rotation:

1. Siemens CCa (1960s): best balance from top to bottom, fantastic bass quantity, very musical.
2. Amperex 7308 USA-made Orange Globes: best imaging, best upper end detail, relatively bass-light but very tight bass
3. Mullard CV2493 (the ones made for the Swedish miliary in the molded Styrofoam boxes): fantastically warm and musical, great imaging, great bass quantity but relatively sloppy in quality, lacking in top-end detail

May 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,363 of 2,306
Honestly, I don't remember. It's been months since I listened to the stock tubes, and even then it was only for a few hours.

If it helps, here are some impressions I posted last week about the tubes in my regular rotation:

1. Siemens CCa (1960s): best balance from top to bottom, fantastic bass quantity, very musical.
2. Amperex 7308 USA-made Orange Globes: best imaging, best upper end detail, relatively bass-light but very tight bass
3. Mullard CV2493 (the ones made for the Swedish miliary in the molded Styrofoam boxes): fantastically warm and musical, great imaging, great bass quantity but relatively sloppy in quality, lacking in top-end detail

Those sound like they'd pair nicely with an LCD 2...

May 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #1,364 of 2,306
Quote:
Those sound like they'd pair nicely with an LCD 2...

I'd imagine they would pair quite well. I liked them a lot with my pre-RMA LCD-3, but the post-RMA version is lighter on the bass and benefits more from the balanced presentation of the CCa.

May 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #1,365 of 2,306
Quote:

I have a quad of Tungsrams and a Siemens E88CC's, and prefer the E88CC's.  Whether it's worth the price difference is totally subjective, but for me the Siemens tubes have better control top to bottom, while the Tungsrams have a bit more bass, but also a bit more bloat.  In my current financial situation, I probably would have stuck to the Tungsrams and be happy, but I have the Siemens from a time when I had more free income to throw around and like them enough to keep them rather than trying to sell them used.

Yeah...that probably doesn't help a whole lot, does it?  >.<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back