Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Jul 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #1,816 of 2,297

TwoEars

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Posts
980
Likes
220
Maybe this has been mentioned already but does anyone have any idea how the Liquid Fire compares to the:
 
1) Apex Peak with Volcano Amp
2) DNA Stratus
3) Eddie Current Balancing Act
 
I'm considering mostly the LF or Peak or Stratus I think but have no clue as to which would be best for me. Anyone who has been fortunate enough to compare them?
 
Jul 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,817 of 2,297

mwilson

Ants in my Stax
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Posts
1,062
Likes
261
The Liquid Fire has a significantly lower output voltage than the Blue Hawaii 
biggrin.gif

 
Edited on a serious note: The BHSE is a different type of amp, and won't work with dynamic headphones.
 
 
Quote:
Maybe this has been mentioned already but does anyone have any idea how the Liquid Fire compares to the:
 
3) Headamp Blue Hawaii
 
 
I'm considering mostly the LF or Peak or Stratus I think but have no clue as to which would be best for me. Anyone who has been fortunate enough to compare them?

 
Jul 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #1,818 of 2,297

TwoEars

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Posts
980
Likes
220
Quote:
The Liquid Fire has a significantly lower output voltage than the Blue Hawaii 
biggrin.gif

 
Edited on a serious note: The BHSE is a different type of amp, and won't work with dynamic headphones.
 
 


Ok - forget about the Blue Hawaii then
wink.gif

 
Jul 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,821 of 2,297

TwoEars

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Posts
980
Likes
220
Quote:
If you're in the US and have the chance to go to a meet, that would be optimal, as they might have one or two of those amps that you can compare for yourself.  I've had every one of those dynamic amps in-home (save for the Stratus which I hope to get soon) and they all had their strengths.  


Sorry - not in the US, otherwise that definitely would have been my first option.
 
Can you say anything about the differences between the LF and the Peak/Volcano? I like PRAT in my music and listen to alot of electronica so bass response is important. But then I also listen to something like the wonderful new swedish duo "first aid kit"with their tender female voices so quite a big spectrum there...
 
I guess I'm looking for something fairly neutral sounding but dynamic with good PRAT, completely black background but also that mystic quality very you connect to the music in an almost magical way that tubes are so good at. From what I've read it sounds like the LF might be for me - would you agree?
 
Of course tube rolling can change the sound a lot but I'm looking for any feedback I can get - original tubes or not.
 
Jul 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,822 of 2,297

sachu

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Posts
5,369
Likes
154
Quote:
 
I guess I'm looking for something fairly neutral sounding but dynamic with good PRAT, completely black background but also that mystic quality very you connect to the music in an almost magical way that tubes are so good at. From what I've read it sounds like the LF might be for me - would you agree?
 

Yup.. that would be the LF indeed for you out of the 3 listed.
 
Jul 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #1,823 of 2,297

mwilson

Ants in my Stax
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Posts
1,062
Likes
261
Big caveat here, as I haven't heard any of the other amps you've listed, but I was very happy with the LF while I had it. Once you get rid of the stock JJ tubes and go with a quad of Siemens E88CC, it will provide the very immersive experience you seem to be seeking. There's just something about the LF and a quad of Siemens that gave a tremendously dynamic and enjoyable aspect to music listening. I know at least two other head-fi'ers who can vouch for this combo.
 
Quote:
I guess I'm looking for something fairly neutral sounding but dynamic with good PRAT, completely black background but also that mystic quality very you connect to the music in an almost magical way that tubes are so good at. From what I've read it sounds like the LF might be for me - would you agree?
 
Of course tube rolling can change the sound a lot but I'm looking for any feedback I can get - original tubes or not.

 
Jul 30, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,824 of 2,297

Icenine2

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Posts
2,690
Likes
619
Location
Arlington Heights, IL
Does anyone actually cover their LF up after it cools down?  I blow the dust out of mine about every six weeks.  All the top venting allows some dust in.  What an exciting post!
 
Jul 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #1,826 of 2,297

Equus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Posts
1,554
Likes
16
Quote:
Maybe this has been mentioned already but does anyone have any idea how the Liquid Fire compares to the:
 
1) Apex Peak with Volcano Amp
2) DNA Stratus
3) Eddie Current Balancing Act
 
I'm considering mostly the LF or Peak or Stratus I think but have no clue as to which would be best for me. Anyone who has been fortunate enough to compare them?

 
Quote:
Sorry - not in the US, otherwise that definitely would have been my first option.
 
Can you say anything about the differences between the LF and the Peak/Volcano? I like PRAT in my music and listen to alot of electronica so bass response is important. But then I also listen to something like the wonderful new swedish duo "first aid kit"with their tender female voices so quite a big spectrum there...
 
I guess I'm looking for something fairly neutral sounding but dynamic with good PRAT, completely black background but also that mystic quality very you connect to the music in an almost magical way that tubes are so good at. From what I've read it sounds like the LF might be for me - would you agree?
 
Of course tube rolling can change the sound a lot but I'm looking for any feedback I can get - original tubes or not.

 
I had a loaner Peak/Volcano and wrote a review that you can read here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/apex-high-fi-audio-peak-and-volcano/reviews/4800
 
Long story only slightly longer, I own the LF and haven't really looked back.  I wasn't particularly thrilled about the lower mid range on the Peak, which is where I think I have a tendency to connect to the music.  The caveat is that I haven't had both amps to audition at the same time and I have rolled the tubes in the LF (while I was limited to stock tubes and Shuguang Black Bottle 6SN7 on the Peak), so my head to head comparisons are from memory and without a lot of experimentation, so take it with a grain of salt.
 
Quote:
Does anyone actually cover their LF up after it cools down?  I blow the dust out of mine about every six weeks.  All the top venting allows some dust in.  What an exciting post!

 
I usually don't cover mine unless I'm going out of town or something.  Blowing out dust every now and then to make sure it's not getting caked in there is probably a good idea, but I haven't really worried about dust too much since there aren't any moving parts to get gummed up.  Maybe being more careful about dust would be a good idea, but I don't know.  :)
 
Jul 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #1,829 of 2,297

preproman

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Posts
10,625
Likes
771
Quote:
If you're in the US and have the chance to go to a meet, that would be optimal, as they might have one or two of those amps that you can compare for yourself.  I've had every one of those dynamic amps in-home (save for the Stratus which I hope to get soon) and they all had their strengths.  

 
 
 Whats the pros and cons of the ECBA vs the LF?
 
Jul 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,830 of 2,297

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Posts
18,001
Likes
4,339
Location
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Big caveat here, as I haven't heard any of the other amps you've listed, but I was very happy with the LF while I had it. Once you get rid of the stock JJ tubes and go with a quad of Siemens E88CC, it will provide the very immersive experience you seem to be seeking. There's just something about the LF and a quad of Siemens that gave a tremendously dynamic and enjoyable aspect to music listening. I know at least two other head-fi'ers who can vouch for this combo.
 

 
Am I too late to vouch for this combo? 
biggrin.gif
 (And yes, the Siemens E88CCs are the perfect finish to the setup).
 
 
 
Yeah, I covered it after every single use. 
 

 
Good to hear that I've continued the tradition with said amp. 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top