Cat6 or Cat5 cables for DIY speaker cables?
Feb 11, 2007 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SayNoToPistons

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to make some speaker cables for my surround speakers (rear). I don't know which to choose though. Cat6 or cat5 cables? pros and cons?

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 12
Cat6 can accomodate more bandwidth than cat5. But we're talking of audio frequencies here, so it doesn't matter.

what you need is a cable made with quality materials. I'm not sure if it's jon Risch but I think the recipes out there uses a particular Belden cable because of the materials used.

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 12
When using UTP cables (like CAT5e or AC6 or CAT6a), a few items to consider:

1. Keep the cables uniformly braided to reduce uneven field interactions (the same pairs of cables should not be soley on the outside, but should alternate). Braiding techniques work here. Make sure the jacket is PVC, so it's easier to strip.

2. Keep the individual pairs twisted. When you've got data running through them, this reduces Alien Crosstalk; with audio, this reduces inductance.

3. Use high quality pure copper cable, not tinned copper.

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 12
I'm thinking of ordering from monoprice.com for the cables.

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 12
Bumping this thread. Is there an easier braiding guide with pictures? I'm having trouble braiding the venhaus cat5 cables.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bumping this thread. Is there an easier braiding guide with pictures? I'm having trouble braiding the venhaus cat5 cables.

Venhaus braiding is nothing speacial -- regular three strand braid. Take three three twisted pairs (dont break them apart) and then outer left between other two, outer right between two... repeat. Then take three braids, and repeat etc.

Like this:

1 2 3
1 3 2 outer left to middle
3 1 2 outer right to middle
3 2 1 outer left to middle
2 3 1 outer right to middle
2 1 3 outer left to middle
etc.

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #10 of 12
Whats best, Solid Core or Stranded Core?

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When using UTP cables (like CAT5e or AC6 or CAT6a), a few items to consider:

1. Keep the cables uniformly braided to reduce uneven field interactions (the same pairs of cables should not be soley on the outside, but should alternate). Braiding techniques work here. Make sure the jacket is PVC, so it's easier to strip.

2. Keep the individual pairs twisted. When you've got data running through them, this reduces Alien Crosstalk; with audio, this reduces inductance.

3. Use high quality pure copper cable, not tinned copper.

How do I know if the cable is pure copper or tinned copper???

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do I know if the cable is pure copper or tinned copper???

If you can look at it, the pure copper will appear, well, copper coloured. Tinned copper will be silver coloured.

For Ethernet applications it doesn't really make any difference, the specification requires only specific electrical properties of the cable, it doesn't specify much in the way of construction details AFAIK. Because of that you probably won't see it on datasheets or advertisements. All of the ethernet cable I've seen has been solid or stranded copper though, I've never seen any tinned copper here so you might be OK just buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back